Four changes Will Muschamp will bring to auburn Defense

cooltigger21

Guest jojo1515

I thought it has been stated that CEJ didn't recruit as much and left that up to his assistants.

This is true. Add to that the fact that our D recruiting has been very below average in a year where we needed to focus on defense....I'd not even come close to considering it "Muschamp-esque". We had 1 DL commit when Ellis left....now it's possible to end up with 2 or 3 5 stars....not even a possible comparison between the two recruiting wise. They are not even on the same planet in that aspect.....well....any aspect really

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it has been stated that CEJ didn't recruit as much and left that up to his assistants.

This is true. Add to that the fact that our D recruiting has been very below average in a year where we needed to focus on defense....I'd not even come close to considering it "Muschamp-esque". We had 1 DL commit when Ellis left....now it's possible to end up with 2 or 3 5 stars....not even a possible comparison between the two recruiting wise. They are not even on the same planet in that aspect.....well....any aspect really

This^^

Not even seeing the forest from the trees. It matters because:

1) Keeping up with bama - I think we are now ahead

2) Recruiting - We are 1 year away from playing in the NC, this is when we should start seeing big recruiting upswing. We are doing well, but not on DL. Muschamp will bring a new level in, guys we were not in on before. This hire will make our recruiting class top 5.

3) Proven winner more so than anyone you mentioned. Check the stats. He is the best D coordinator in college football right now.

4) We are not UAB, South Alabama, Etc...: We have made a commitment to the football team as a University. We understand football makes $$ for everything in the University. It is big business, you can save $$ on a D coordinator and make no splash at all. He might even do well, but again, this is big business, we need results right away. AU has $$ to spend. Why not be all we can be right now?

poor argument

umm..

1. Keeping up with those ugly reds.. How are we ahead?

I'll take Malzahn and Muschamp over saban and kiffin. How about you?

Umm. I would love to. There's just one problem. It's called a resume. Sablows resume, well... speaks for itself. Kiffin, aside from HC jobs, as an OC his resume also speaks for itself. Not to mention Kirby Smart. You better believe that Smart is the one calling the plays.

Malzahn is a great coach, obviously as an OC, no question, best Offensive mind in the game. Yet he's only his is 3rd year as a HC, and only his second as a HC at a major P5 program. Muschamp learned what he knows from Sablow, and expounded upon that. As a DC his resume also speaks for itself. However, as a duo, Guschamp doesn't have anything that SHOWS that they can run the SEC in the same way that Saban/Smart have done along with Kiffin.

I agree that this hire was AMAZING for us. We will have a top defense, VERY soon. But it's a little overzealous to think that just because we hired Muschamp that ALA is done winning against us. Muschamp has consistently had trouble with Saban teams, as well as UGA teams. Until he proves that he can lock them down and allow our stupid good offense to blow them off the field, I'll hold my tongue. No one, no matter how much you might despise them, can discount what Saban has done year in and year out. You have to imagine that if we don't run that Kick Six back last year... you're looking at 3 NC's in a row. That's dang near impossible. Then, look at recruiting. They've been eating our lunch on the recruiting trail for a long while. It's ridiculous the amount of talent that they are able to pull in on such a consistent basis. Muschamp is good, as well as T-Rob, but Kiffin is dang good too. Saban, nothing to sneeze at. You just can't be SO confident. Not that being confident is bad, but because nothing has been proven from Guschamp yet. So, in conclusion, I love that we have these two guys together and I think we're going to be scary good. But I'll take a wait and see approach when talking about beating ALA.

2) Recruiting - We are 1 year away from playing in the NC, this is when we should start seeing big recruiting upswing. We are doing well, but not on DL. Muschamp will bring a new level in, guys we were not in on before. This hire will make our recruiting class top 5.

3) Proven winner more so than anyone you mentioned. Check the stats. He is the best D coordinator in college football right now.

4) We are not UAB, South Alabama, Etc...: We have made a commitment to the football team as a University. We understand football makes $$ for everything in the University. It is big business, you can save $$ on a D coordinator and make no splash at all. He might even do well, but again, this is big business, we need results right away. AU has $$ to spend. Why not be all we can be right now?

poor argument

umm..

Umm. I would love to. There's just one problem. It's called a resume. Sablows resume, well... speaks for itself. Kiffin, aside from HC jobs, as an OC his resume also speaks for itself. Not to mention Kirby Smart. You better believe that Smart is the one calling the plays.

Malzahn is a great coach, obviously as an OC, no question, best Offensive mind in the game. Yet he's only his is 3rd year as a HC, and only his second as a HC at a major P5 program. Muschamp learned what he knows from Sablow, and expounded upon that. As a DC his resume also speaks for itself. However, as a duo, Guschamp doesn't have anything that SHOWS that they can run the SEC in the same way that Saban/Smart have done along with Kiffin.

I agree that this hire was AMAZING for us. We will have a top defense, VERY soon. But it's a little overzealous to think that just because we hired Muschamp that ALA is done winning against us. Muschamp has consistently had trouble with Saban teams, as well as UGA teams. Until he proves that he can lock them down and allow our stupid good offense to blow them off the field, I'll hold my tongue. No one, no matter how much you might despise them, can discount what Saban has done year in and year out. You have to imagine that if we don't run that Kick Six back last year... you're looking at 3 NC's in a row. That's dang near impossible. Then, look at recruiting. They've been eating our lunch on the recruiting trail for a long while. It's ridiculous the amount of talent that they are able to pull in on such a consistent basis. Muschamp is good, as well as T-Rob, but Kiffin is dang good too. Saban, nothing to sneeze at. You just can't be SO confident. Not that being confident is bad, but because nothing has been proven from Guschamp yet. So, in conclusion, I love that we have these two guys together and I think we're going to be scary good. But I'll take a wait and see approach when talking about beating ALA.

Didn't seem to have much trouble stopping Georgia this year.

poor argument

umm..

Didn't seem to have much trouble stopping Georgia this year.

Yeah, THIS year. Look at years past.

The mentality of the defense the last 5 years has been that the offense will win for you. Defense wins championships regardless of what anyone says. Our defense has played bend but don't break, play not to lose defense and it's been awful. I want a physical defense that doesn't bend or break. I miss the Tuberville era defenses and I hope we can get that to compliment our offense. Defense shouldn't have to back off just because the offense is good.

poor argument

umm..

Everybody keeps giving saban credit for muschamp and fisher, not realizing they were at AUburn well before they got to be coach's for the little one.

Fisher played for T Bowden for 4 YEARS and then coached under him for another 6...........media loves the redneck munchkin in west vance. Muschamp knew nothing about defense until he worked for the munchkin? How absolutely stupid...

People dogging Ford seem to forget TRob was a wide receiver his first year at AU…and a pretty darn good one. He moved over defense and got better and better. Even the guys with loads of experience in our secondary looked lost this year. I expect to see Ford thrive in Will's defense.

Fisher played for T Bowden for 4 YEARS and then coached under him for another 6...........media loves the redneck munchkin in west vance. Muschamp knew nothing about defense until he worked for the munchkin? How absolutely stupid...

Yep

No doubt Saban had the most influence. Joe Kines and Brother Oliver both had a significant impact, but it wasn't until Saban took a chance on him when he was a DC at Valdosta State that he really had a chance to shine. His coaching personality is almost identical to Saban's in many ways. The defense will be very similar to the 3-4 that Bama runs because that's where Muschamp has always drawn from.

Muschamp's defense will look more like Bill Oliver's....The REAL defensive genius. :wareagle:

poor argument

umm..

Everybody keeps giving saban credit for muschamp and fisher, not realizing they were at AUburn well before they got to be coach's for the little one.

Where did I give any credit to Saban? I said he Muschamp learned from him and then expounded on that. Fisher has nothing to do with this conversation.

Oh? Where was Muschamp a DC at before he linked up with Saban? No one said the guy MADE Muschamp, or Fisher..

poor argument

umm..

Where did I give any credit to Saban? I said he Muschamp learned from him and then expounded on that. Fisher has nothing to do with this conversation.

Don't take it personal dude, it all got started with the media putting it out there. But u did say muschamp learned what he knows from Saban. I just wouldn't give him all the credit. Bill Oliver and tommy tuberville had some influence on him as well

poor argument

umm..

Don't take it personal dude, it all got started with the media putting it out there. But u did say muschamp learned what he knows from Saban. I just wouldn't give him all the credit. Bill Oliver and tommy tuberville had some influence on him as well

Granted, I could have worded that better.

Bwahahahaha ...Sorry. For some occasions there are no words that fit. If I didn't know better I would guess....no.....nevermind. :-)

poor argument

umm..

Granted, I could have worded that better.

Not a problem, I see your point

best change will be getting rid of coach cheese, besides the dumb 4-2-5

The dumb 4-2-5? Yeah...if we were gonna play the 4-2-5, it should have been the smart 4-2-5 (like at TCU.)

Seriously man, there's nothing "dumb" about the 4-2-5. It's just a starting scheme, same as the 3-4, the 4-3 or what have you. Do it right and you can have great success. (See that TCU reference. And TCU ain't the only one.) Do it wrong, and you'll look really bad. But that applies no matter what base scheme you use. A team can get run out of the stadium just as easily in the 4-3 (or 5-2, or 3-4, or 4-4 or what the heck ever) as it can in the 4-2-5.

poor argument

umm..

Wouldn't that be Malzahn and Muschamp over $aban and Smart? Or Malzahn and Lashlee over $aban and Kiffin. (Or Maybe Malzahn/Lashlee and Muschamp over $aban/Kiffin and Smart?)

I can't say the fanbase of either team has much to complain about. Regardless of who someone might prefer, the fact is, these are some pretty incredible staffs. That they are staffs not only in the same college football conference but in the same division of the same conference is almost unbelievable.

Archived