2015/16 Starter Prediction

AuCivilEng1

Since there are a lot of moving parts, one of the most interesting things to watch will be how the OL shakes out. It's more important to get the best 5 out there in the best combination than anything. It's tough to rank them in order and obviously Kozan depends on his recovery. Here is my ranking list for now, along with their possible positions.

OL player ranking

1. Kozan- C, G

2. Young- T, G

3. Miller- T

4. Coleman- T, G

5. Golson- C, T, G

6. Smith- T, G

Smith has a very realistic chance of moving up the list.

Miller better than Coleman??? Come on

You think Coleman was better than Miller in pass protection ? Come on man.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go ahead and blow up the forum........Sean White starts at QB

I think it could be close early. But I think JJ will beat him around A-Day.

Since there are a lot of moving parts, one of the most interesting things to watch will be how the OL shakes out. It's more important to get the best 5 out there in the best combination than anything. It's tough to rank them in order and obviously Kozan depends on his recovery. Here is my ranking list for now, along with their possible positions.

OL player ranking

1. Kozan- C, G

2. Young- T, G

3. Miller- T

4. Coleman- T, G

5. Golson- C, T, G

6. Smith- T, G

1. Kozan

2. Young

3. Coleman

4. Golson

5. Smith

6. Miller

It may very well end up that way. Right now I just couldn't put Golson and Smith higher until we see more of them. But Golson did look good as a Freshman at Ole Miss and Smith, well he has all the raw talent but just lacks the experience. So I gave Miller the nod on his pass protection over Coleman and his experience over Smith and Golson. It's going to be fun to watch the competition and also see where everybody ends up.

Yeah I think he was because he was getting beat on the right side. If he was better he'd been playing over there. If it was close there would have been a rotation.....it's your opinion so I won't argue with you about it but damn the reactions after a player has a rough couple of games are so crazy to me

Yeah I think he was because he was getting beat on the right side. If he was better he'd been playing over there. If it was close there would have been a rotation.....it's your opinion so I won't argue with you about it but damn the reactions after a player has a rough couple of games are so crazy to me

I have a good reason though. My opinion is based on a flaw in his game, not just a couple rough games. The rough games are caused by speed rushers exposing that flaw. It doesn't show up in every game because it's not an issue with the slower DEs. But against a good speed rusher, his shuffle step is not quite fast enough yet to catch up but he has long arms.

Instead of getting his body over with his feet, he has a tendency to compensate by bending at the waist and reaching out with those long arms. That's why right now I think Miller (yes, Miller was getting beat by the same thing as a true Freshman) is better in pass protection, hence my ranking. That doesn't mean SC won't work like heck to improve that flaw because I think he will. His run blocking is there and if he can't develop quicker feet, there are other options.

QB - Johnson

- White

RB - Thomas

- Robinson

FB - Cox

- Barber - I think we see him move there just a hunch

- Batten

LT - Braden Smith

- Golson

LG - Coleman

- Young

C - Dampeer

- Kim

- Golson

RG - Golson

- Kozan Not sure about his rehab

RT - Miller

- Danzy

- Golson

I have Golson everywhere as he is a previous SEC Starter as a freshmen and I think we will put top 5 O-Linemen out there

WR - Ray

- Louis

- Denson

- Stevens

I am grouping the WR's together can see various combinations of these receivers

HB/TE - Laye

Wood

DT - Russell

- Lawerence

- Johnson

DT - Adams

- Daniel

DE - Lawson

- Kennion

- Thornton

DE - Lambert

- President

LB - Frost

- Mckinsey

- Swain

CB - Jones

- Holsey

- Ruffin

- Bessent

S - Ford

- Mathews

- Moncrief

I am sure I missed some people or some will end up in different positions and other than Kim I didn't include any incoming players as I would prefer revising this list after NSD.

Maybe, maybe not. Miller beat him out for the RT spot heading into the season, and there's no way he would've started over Kozan at LG. If Kozan were healthy, I don't think Young would've started Game 1 this past season.

@ AuburnNTexas,

Don't you think Young will be one of the 5 starters ?

Yes - Like I said at the end I am sure I missed somebody and Young was at least one somebody. Thank you for catching that. I also think that O-line will be strong but we may all be a little surprised at who ends up where.

Look we have 4 guys who have been SEC starters at tackle Coleman, Young, Miller, Golson in addition Braden Smith who seems to have caught the coaches eye and the two people who leave this year are at Guard and Center so that could lead to some interesting possibilities. Five Tackles and a current starter at one of the guard positions. Lots of different possibilities. Add a healthy Kozan to the mix and even more possibilities.

Could Austin Golson be in the mix on the offensive line?

This young man was a 4 star recruit of which Ole Miss signed. I am sure he will be in the playing rotation soon. He is listed as a walk-on, but will likely earn his scholarship. He has good size and all of the tools to be a solid OL at Auburn.

@ AuburnNTexas,

Don't you think Young will be one of the 5 starters ?

Yes - Like I said at the end I am sure I missed somebody and Young was at least one somebody. Thank you for catching that. I also think that O-line will be strong but we may all be a little surprised at who ends up where.

Look we have 4 guys who have been SEC starters at tackle Coleman, Young, Miller, Golson in addition Braden Smith who seems to have caught the coaches eye and the two people who leave this year are at Guard and Center so that could lead to some interesting possibilities. Five Tackles and a current starter at one of the guard positions. Lots of different possibilities. Add a healthy Kozan to the mix and even more possibilities.

Ahh I got ya. Yes I think there will be some surprises on the final positions. It is going to be fun to watch it unfold.

Could Austin Golson be in the mix on the offensive line?

This young man was a 4 star recruit of which Ole Miss signed. I am sure he will be in the playing rotation soon. He is listed as a walk-on, but will likely earn his scholarship. He has good size and all of the tools to be a solid OL at Auburn.

I remember when he came out of high school I kept pushing why weren't we going hard after him and people were saying he's over rated. It's funny how they improve when we actually get the player :) Seriously though I knew by his offer list there was no way he wasn't talented

I agree with most of the posts. Offense is pretty predictable. I think Pettway starts at HB, but from what I've seen from videos and what I've heard Cox is a beast and is relevant in the passing game. So I think he will be utilized. Jalen Harris should get some playing time as well as a true freshman. Jovon will be the main back I think. He's already been impressive in practice. But Roc will take a lot of the snaps as well. On defense, I think we'll see a lot of rotations. So just about everyone will play. Holsey hopefully will go back to CB to help out with depth there. Maurice Swain was a huge pick up today. He should be able to plug up those holes with Adams! Lawson coming back is the biggest upside to the team. And I hate to say it, but even if Kozan can't come back and play, Danzey did a nice job this year filling his spot. So we should be good with either one of them. Can Golson play center? If so, that would be big!

OL player ranking

1. Kozan- C, G

2. Young- T, G

3. Miller- T

4. Coleman- T, G

5. Golson- C, T, G

6. Smith- T, G

Miller better than Coleman??? Come on

You think Coleman was better than Miller in pass protection ? Come on man.

right there with you...almost seems every time we dropped back to pass, Coleman got holding called on him

I'd love to see a stat on how many holds he was actually called for and Miller didn't have to go against who Coleman did. Big difference

QB: Johnson

RB: Robinson/Thomas

HB: Pettway

WR: Stevens

WR: Ray

WR: Davis (Ricardo Louis has made way too many mistakes)

LT: Smith

LG: Kozan

C: Golson

RG: Young

RT: Coleman

DE: Lawson

DT: Adams

DT: Daniel

DE: Lambert

OLB: Frost

MLB: Mckinzy

OLB: Williams

CB: Jones

CB: Ruffin

FS: Ford

SS: Matthews

You dudes trip me out. Ranking dudes you haven't even seen play. Dudes that sat the bench over a guy that have up a sack to a future top ten pick.....Smh, actually I take that back I'm not surprised

Are you talking about people ranking Golson so highly?

I won't predict anything, but I will provide two observations:

On defense, DaVonte Lambert is large enough (6'2", 293lbs) to play inside, and with the DE recruiting we have done over the last year (Andrew Williams, Justin Thornton, Raashed Kennion, Keymiya Harrell), along with Lawson, President, and Daniel, I think moving Lambert inside might be a good move to shore up depth inside.

On offense, as we move to more of a passing offense with Johnson and White, I wonder if we will do less two-back, and H-back formations, and use more single RB and three and four WR sets.

right there with you...almost seems every time we dropped back to pass, Coleman got holding called on him

Coleman does not have the lateral speed of Greg Robinson, so he could not keep up with Speed DEs or Jack OLBs.

I think Coleman would be better at RT or at an OG position, especially with us moving to more of a passing offense next season.

meh, Daniel has played and will play DT. The only time he spends on the edge next year will be the occasional 3-4 front. He's not a 4-3 DE, even though he's been an Auburn man and played that role. It's not his position. DeVonte Lambert, however, is a pure DE. He's nowhere near 295. I know that's his list weight, but it's just wrong. You can look at the guy and see that. Gabe Wright was plainly larger, and he's listed at 285. My guess is Lambert was playing closer to 265 or 270. If he's healthy, he's starting at DE opposite Lawson next year.

Lambert definitely looks thick. But you are right, he is nowhere near as big as Ben Bradley.

DaVonte Lambert Arkansas Game:

1377099.jpg

Daniels looks bigger this year.

Elijah Daniels San Jose State game:

540bba4d03d5d.image.jpg?resize=760%2C679

And last year at the SECCG:

197327-0-600.jpg

Given they are the same height, Lambert and Daniel look like they weigh about the same last year. Lambert may have had about 10 lbs on Daniel.

I think Lambert will play the true DE position on the strong-side of CWM's defense, and Carl Lawson will play the weakside, pass-rushing "Buck" defensive end.

Daniel was ripped last year so he obviously prepared himself to play more of the DT role this year. It will be interesting to see how our 2 tall Freshmen DEs, 6' 5" Thornton and 6' 6" Kennion, come into Fall camp after their Freshman campaign at 225 lbs. They could both play at 250 without much problem.

Archived