SDS: "Muschamp Puts Nation on Notice"

PatBoCamRob

Good article. Says Auburn will be scary good with CWM heading the defense. I couldn't be more excited with the hire. The reporter breaks down the implications of having a top 10 coach for Lawson, etc.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/film-study-auburn-luring-muschamp-puts-entire-country-notice/

Wish my thread from Oct 25 saying this wasn't deleted.

Folks, we are moving into a new era of Auburn football. It looks like Gus has solved the 2nd part of the equation of national championship mathematics 505. I cannot wait to see how we will do with recruiting now that we have some serious teeth to do battle with Saban and the other SEC schools.

2015 cannot begin soon enough for most of us on this board. This is going to be more fun than a die hard Auburn fan should be allowed to have,

I think with Marshall out and Johnson in, we will be more of a power team. Meaning, qb will not run so much with the stable of backs we have and the passing weapon that he is. That does not mean he will not do some of the things Marshall did sometimes, but that will be an acceptation not the rule which is fine by me. Offense will be just a dangerous if not more so. If the defense makes improvements, we will be very dangerous next year. Through in the better schedule, and this could be a special year. Now wrap up the bowl game and just finish the recruiting strong.

Folks, we are moving into a new era of Auburn football. It looks like Gus has solved the 2nd part of the equation of national championship mathematics 505. I cannot wait to see how we will do with recruiting now that we have some serious teeth to do battle with Saban and the other SEC schools.

2015 cannot begin soon enough for most of us on this board. This is going to be more fun than a die hard Auburn fan should be allowed to have,

You always put everything "just so," I always look forward to seeing your comments here. Have a good day, and WDE!!!

I know expectations have been raised, but I can't help but think the offense will take half a step back with all the talent that is leaving. I think we will see week-to-week improvement like last season though. As long as we can come away unscathed from the early tests in the season we could be a solid playoff contender.

In order for our offense to be as potent as it has the last two years we really need some people at key positions to step up. JJ is going to need to live up to expectations and we are really going to need some guys to step up in the WR position. I think it's time for Ricardo Luis to shine.

^^ Agreed. The WR position worries me the most. Assuming Duke is gone, we have literally no proven* wide outs. I think Ricardo is only a WR in name. He probably caught 5% of his passes past the line of scrimmage this past year. He is, and has been, exclusively a jet sweep/screen guy.

By proven*, I don't mean the guys who get message board hype like Melvin Ray, Tony Stevens, Truitt, etc. Ray has had a few very nice catches, but I can count his receiving production on one hand I feel like. Marcus Davis has shown the most thus far but does he even have 10 catches for his career? The WR position is a huge question mark, and I'm not sure if we have seen anything from Ricardo, yet, that shows can lead that unit as a traditional WR.

He better get cracking on it if he wants to make the NFL, though. He certainly has the speed, size, and agility.

If they can't live up to their hype with JJ throwing to them, they never will. That guy will make WRs look good.

If they can't live up to their hype with JJ throwing to them, they never will. That guy will make WRs look good.

It can go both ways, IMO. JJ could look worse than he actually is due to WR play, or the WRs can look better with JJ hitting them in stride.

Have not seen Melvin Ray's name mentioned. He has game experience and I expect he will be a big time contributor next season.

^^^ THIS ^^^ I think Melvin is a good WR and IMO has a chance at being more.

Have not seen Melvin Ray's name mentioned. He has game experience and I expect he will be a big time contributor next season.

^^^ THIS ^^^ I think Melvin is a good WR and IMO has a chance at being more.

... thinking a fielder in the Dodgers organization might get to the ball ?

While WR is probably the offensive position of most concern next year, we also lose some pieces on the offensive line (Dismukes being a biggie)-- a line that, IMHO, got burned at times this year. Of course, I also think we missed Jay Prosch more than we anticipated at the start of the season.

But yeah, if Muschamp can just give us a defense that can hold the opponent to under 25-30 points (not all that remarkable), I don't know how we can be stopped.

What about that kid who came in with Tony Stevens. Was committed to Nebraska

While WR is probably the offensive position of most concern next year, we also lose some pieces on the offensive line (Dismukes being a biggie)-- a line that, IMHO, got burned at times this year. Of course, I also think we missed Jay Prosch more than we anticipated at the start of the season.

But yeah, if Muschamp can just give us a defense that can hold the opponent to under 25-30 points (not all that remarkable), I don't know how we can be stopped.

WR shouldn't be a concern. We've got capable guys.

What about that kid who came in with Tony Stevens. Was committed to Nebraska

Dominic Walker?

MR Is special right NOW, just wasn't his turn. Next season guy gone be a star.

Could very well be a situation like Brandon Jacobs playing behind Brown and Williams.

It can go both ways, IMO. JJ could look worse than he actually is due to WR play, or the WRs can look better with JJ hitting them in stride.

I agree, however there are quarterbacks out there who can make wide receivers look really good. Tom Brady, for instance. You could plug just about anyone into the wide receiving corps at New England and they're going to have some of the best numbers of their career. One thing I've learned from this season is to temper my expectations a little bit, and while JJ has looked good in the action he's gotten, we still don't know how he's going to look when DCs are forming a gameplan around stopping him and bringing pressure. I'm interested in seeing how well he does when that happens. So I think he can be that quarterback who makes our WRs blossom, but I'm not 100% certain yet.

I am looking forward to next year but must be honest there are an awful lot of question marks.

Loosing two staring O-Linemen. This years O-Line was good but was not dominant one of its biggest weaknesses was speed rushers with a Passing QB that becomes more important. Never found a great FB this year so still need one. Possibly loosing two starting receivers to pros have talent but no proof they will be great WR's. Loosing a ton of DT's from a D-Line that was not dominant may need to really on new Players on D-line assuming we get some we are trying to pull. Returning experience at LB but none have played at All SEC level so we need them to turn it on this year. DB's got burned a lot this year possibly due to scheme that asked them to play man to man assuming a pass rush then never developed.

That is my negative Nancy side out of the way. O-Line has a lot of talent and I think can gel. Spring should show emphasis on pass blocking while still power running. Many receivers didn't have great numbers because Williams and Coates were on the field. Coach will find a great FB this year not sure where but will find one. Muschamp will design his Defense around his talent just like Gus does his O.

That is the thing that has bothered me about Auburn D over last few years. Once a system was put in place there was no imagination in using the players in the system you can have a basic scheme but still run variations on it that enhance your players skill sets. If you have a system predicated on lockdown corners and a great pass rush from the 4 d-linemen and you don't have lockdown corners or disruptive DE's you may have to run more zones, Blitz's from different people other teams do it and hide weaknesses we seem to pick a scheme and say that is it even if players don't fit it. Muschamp knows how to make adjustments to overcome deficiencies.

Archived