Why not Kirby Smart ?

eagle76

With all the coaching changes during the past 2-3 years, why haven't we heard more about KS being a head coach candidate. He is a very good DC but no one knows about his head coaching abilities. But that has not stopped many OC's and DC's from being offered HC jobs in the past. I know/heard that we interviewed KS before we got Gus. With his pedigree (under cns) and his championships, and his ability to produce very good defenses year after year, I would think I would hear his name mentioned more frequently for HC jobs. I wonder if the case is that cns is really the master and KS is just the puppet.

With all the coaching changes during the past 2-3 years, why haven't we heard more about KS being a head coach candidate. He is a very good DC but no one knows about his head coaching abilities. But that has not stopped many OC's and DC's from being offered HC jobs in the past. I know/heard that we interviewed KS before we got Gus. With his pedigree (under cns) and his championships, and his ability to produce very good defenses year after year, I would think I would hear his name mentioned more frequently for HC jobs. I wonder if the case is that cns is really the master and KS is just the puppet.

There is no way to know for sure about that. They aren't about to say that is the case. Those in coaching circles may know. I think that may be the perception at least. People may assume he's waiting for UGA to fire Mark Richt and get that job. The PTB may have sort of let him think he'll be the successor to Nick. Unless he goes out and proves himself somewhere, that isn't going to happen. Only way for him to prove it is to take a head coaching job.

His name is rarely, if ever, mentioned for a HC job. One of the top assistants at one of the top programs and no inquiries? Maybe he has told his agent to "just say no". Possibly he is waiting on uga or uat. Just wondering.

I don't know about that, at least not the "SEC school" part of it. UK and Vandy hired coordinators within the last two years. MSU hired Dan as a coordinator. Heck, Richt had no head coaching experience. That's four of 14 schools that hired guys with no head coaching experience, and two others (Auburn and Ole Miss) hired guys with one year as a college head coach.

From everything I've heard, there are a few things in play. First, Kirby is being very picky. I think he knows he'll be in strong consideration to replace Saban or Richt when the time comes. Second, I don't think he makes for the greatest interview. He's not the first guy I've heard that about. Same was said for Charlie Strong before Louisville gave him the job (it seemed like he interviewed every year for five or six seasons). Third, he's freaking expensive. There will be no first-time discount for the team hiring Smart. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but it's not the "puppet" thing. You can see him on the sideline. He calls the defense. He's grown into the position, but it's his defense for better or worse now.

Honestly, he's a mystery. No one has ever seen him unlatched from Saban's hip. IMO I think he's scared he's another Muschamp and not suited to be a head coach. He's not taking another job because he's scared of failing.

This is a smart move by him. Look at the Saban coaching tree. It's pretty mediocre. The only reason Saban is successful is he gets more stars than everybody else. Kirby knows he can't do this at just any school; it has to be a school committed to winning and that job hasn't come up yet.

Honestly, he's a mystery. No one has ever seen him unlatched from Saban's hip. IMO I think he's scared he's another Muschamp and not suited to be a head coach. He's not taking another job because he's scared of failing.

This is a smart move by him. Look at the Saban coaching tree. It's pretty mediocre. The only reason Saban is successful is he gets more stars than everybody else. Kirby knows he can't do this at just any school; it has to be a school committed to winning and that job hasn't come up yet.

^^ agreed. It's not X's and O's that make saban a great coach it's recruiting. He out talents everyone. As spurrier said, he's just a great recruiter. That's it

^^ agreed. It's not X's and O's that make saban a great coach it's recruiting. He out talents everyone. As spurrier said, he's just a great recruiter. That's it

I have to agree, or accept the evidence. I don't understand it however, since personally I find his personality extremely obnoxious, don't trust him any further than I can throw him, and would NEVER want him as my coach or my kid's coach. Maybe that's just me.

I have to agree, or accept the evidence. I don't understand it however, since personally I find his personality extremely obnoxious, don't trust him any further than I can throw him, and would NEVER want him as my coach or my kid's coach. Maybe that's just me.

Well, you have to put yourself in the shoes of these parents. Saban gets kids into the NFL. Period! He is so well respected (worshipped) by the media, that even kids that never make the 1st string make it to the NFL. So many parents get caught up in the $ signs, they really aren't that concerned with whether the coach is arrogant, obnoxious, etc. Also, let's face it, as far as the media/SEC/NCAA know, he runs a clean program, and that program is supported by major donors and alumni that can promise jobs after college, in the event they don't make it in the NFL.

I hate Saban as much as I hate Bear Bryant, but you can't argue with their results. I think Auburn is on the cusp of being a pipeline to the NFL, but we just need to get over the hump and win a few NC's to get back on the national radar. Also, we have to put a stop to the drugs/guns image that we have picked up the last few years. AUPD needs to step it up down on the Plains!!!!

I don't know about that, at least not the "SEC school" part of it. UK and Vandy hired coordinators within the last two years. MSU hired Dan as a coordinator. Heck, Richt had no head coaching experience. That's four of 14 schools that hired guys with no head coaching experience, and two others (Auburn and Ole Miss) hired guys with one year as a college head coach.

From everything I've heard, there are a few things in play. First, Kirby is being very picky. I think he knows he'll be in strong consideration to replace Saban or Richt when the time comes. Second, I don't think he makes for the greatest interview. He's not the first guy I've heard that about. Same was said for Charlie Strong before Louisville gave him the job (it seemed like he interviewed every year for five or six seasons). Third, he's freaking expensive. There will be no first-time discount for the team hiring Smart. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but it's not the "puppet" thing. You can see him on the sideline. He calls the defense. He's grown into the position, but it's his defense for better or worse now.

If he expects to get the UAT job, he is whistling in the wind. I don't think they are about to hand over the reigns to a coordinator who has never had any hc experience. Until you have done it you don't know what it is like. If he gets too picky schools will just say it isn't worth it.

Well, you have to put yourself in the shoes of these parents. Saban gets kids into the NFL. Period! He is so well respected (worshipped) by the media, that even kids that never make the 1st string make it to the NFL. So many parents get caught up in the $ signs, they really aren't that concerned with whether the coach is arrogant, obnoxious, etc. Also, let's face it, as far as the media/SEC/NCAA know, he runs a clean program, and that program is supported by major donors and alumni that can promise jobs after college, in the event they don't make it in the NFL.

I hate Saban as much as I hate Bear Bryant, but you can't argue with their results. I think Auburn is on the cusp of being a pipeline to the NFL, but we just need to get over the hump and win a few NC's to get back on the national radar. Also, we have to put a stop to the drugs/guns image that we have picked up the last few years. AUPD needs to step it up down on the Plains!!!!

I was about all in until you said he runs a clean program. That place is more corrupt than a prisoner from Alcatraz. They just have people who know how to hide or dare I say lie about the facts. He also has a lot of pawns on his payroll, including;.........p finescumb!

You guys think Saban can't coach?!? That's absurd. I'm sorry. That's just ridiculous.

As for the Saban coaching tree, it would include Jimbo Fisher (who just won a national title), Mark Dantonio (who won the Big Ten last year), Jim McElwain (who just replaced another Saban assistant as the head coach at UF), and Pat Shurmur (OC for the Eagles right now). That's not even including Muschamp and Dooley, who both landed SEC head coaching jobs. Geez. If that's a bad coaching tree, there are very few good ones.

I wish ill on Alabama in all phases. I don't like the school. I can't stand their head coach. He seems like a miserable person, but he's one of the best football coaches in the history of the sport. I think even Gus would tell you that.

You guys think Saban can't coach?!? That's absurd. I'm sorry. That's just ridiculous.

As for the Saban coaching tree, it would include Jimbo Fisher (who just won a national title), Mark Dantonio (who won the Big Ten last year), Jim McElwain (who just replaced another Saban assistant as the head coach at UF), and Pat Shurmur (OC for the Eagles right now). That's not even including Muschamp and Dooley, who both landed SEC head coaching jobs. Geez. If that's a bad coaching tree, there are very few good ones.

I wish ill on Alabama in all phases. I don't like the school. I can't stand their head coach. He seems like a miserable person, but he's one of the best football coaches in the history of the sport. I think even Gus would tell you that.

The little devil is the best in the business today - name another active college coach that has the hardware NS has. He has that program running like a machine - hauling in the talent, developing that talent and there's rarely a year that they aren't in contention for championships at the end of the season. I saw the adjustments he made to his offense this season, the man is not going to sit still and let the game pass him by like I thought when we beat them last year.

I think Auburn is on the cusp of being a pipeline to the NFL, but we just need to get over the hump and win a few NC's to get back on the national radar. Also, we have to put a stop to the drugs/guns image that we have picked up the last few years. AUPD needs to step it up down on the Plains!!!!

AMEN - We can get all the top shelf recruiters in the business on the Plains, but they will have an uphill battle trying to get the "momma" to agree to send her baby to AU if we continue to carry the drug/gun stigma. This may be considered second chance U - - - - but the "Loveliest Village on the Plains" don't look so lovely right now.

I was about all in until you said he runs a clean program. That place is more corrupt than a prisoner from Alcatraz. They just have people who know how to hide or dare I say lie about the facts. He also has a lot of pawns on his payroll, including;.........p finescumb!

He said as far as the SEC and NCAA are concerned he does. To anyone that doesn't know or follow as closely as we do that is all they look at.

I think Auburn is on the cusp of being a pipeline to the NFL, but we just need to get over the hump and win a few NC's to get back on the national radar. Also, we have to put a stop to the drugs/guns image that we have picked up the last few years. AUPD needs to step it up down on the Plains!!!!

AMEN - We can get all the top shelf recruiters in the business on the Plains, but they will have an uphill battle trying to get the "momma" to agree to send her baby to AU if we continue to carry the drug/gun stigma. This may be considered second chance U - - - - but the "Loveliest Village on the Plains" don't look so lovely right now.

I am afraid you are right.

The town of Auburn needs to get things under control. That place sounds like Chicago on Friday night to read to national news. There is no reason in my opinion why any place in a small city the size of AU should be considers a crime zone...yet that's what we hear from students responding to the death of JM...comments about drugs and such.

Local law enforcement has to do a better job of protecting students from the outside thugs that have done so much harm to the school's reputation in addition to the deaths of several students...and I'm not just talking about the football players. The University, as the major employer in the area needs, to apply some pressure to make it happen.

I understand that a lot of folks don't think the PTB in Turdtown will turn the reins of the football program over to a coordinator, unless, perhaps, that coordinator has been there for a number of years and knows where the bodies are buried. If there really is a lot of recruiting illegalities going on in Turdtown, don't you think Smart knows about it and might be willing to use that information to get what he wants?

I understand that a lot of folks don't think the PTB in Turdtown will turn the reins of the football program over to a coordinator, unless, perhaps, that coordinator has been there for a number of years and knows where the bodies are buried. If there really is a lot of recruiting illegalities going on in Turdtown, don't you think Smart knows about it and might be willing to use that information to get what he wants?

I would be willing to bet that the coaches are as disconnected as possible from any recruiting illegalities in Tuscaloosa. That said, I would expect them to give Smart serious consideration after Saban leaves or retires, as he is likely to be the most familiar with continuing the machine that Saban built. It seems logical to go with continuity rather than fresh blood. Worked well for Oregon.

I am afraid you are right.

The town of Auburn needs to get things under control. That place sounds like Chicago on Friday night to read to national news. There is no reason in my opinion why any place in a small city the size of AU should be considers a crime zone...yet that's what we hear from students responding to the death of JM...comments about drugs and such.

Local law enforcement has to do a better job of protecting students from the outside thugs that have done so much harm to the school's reputation in addition to the deaths of several students...and I'm not just talking about the football players. The University, as the major employer in the area needs, to apply some pressure to make it happen.

I've known a few families that chose to live in Auburn and commute to Montgomery to work because Auburn was such a wonderful place to raise your kids and you didn't have to pay private school tuition in a crap city like Montgomery. They are now faced with similar "image" issues in Auburn like we are in Montgomery and that's just sad.

Yes he wins, but there are other coaches gameday coaches that I would rather have. Honestly tell me. How many times have you watched a Saban team get out coached only to come back and win in the last minutes because he has superior depth and talent. His system doesnt work in the NFL because the roster limit and equal talent plays to his one true weakness.

As far as other coaches in his tree, Dantonio has been successful. Chip Kelley coaches the O in Philly and when was Pat Shurmer ever under Saban?. McElwein is Zook 2.0 waiting to happen.

Now Fisher. He did win a National Championship last year and beat us. Granted I think I could've won 10 games with that roster and schedule. If he doesn't get thrashed by Oregon, which I hope he does, I will call him a great coach, but he would still fall under the mediocre game coach who out talents people.

I would be willing to bet that the coaches are as disconnected as possible from any recruiting illegalities in Tuscaloosa. That said, I would expect them to give Smart serious consideration after Saban leaves or retires, as he is likely to be the most familiar with continuing the machine that Saban built. It seems logical to go with continuity rather than fresh blood. Worked well for Oregon.

Well, they went that route once with Dumbass Dubose and he was a "bama boy" through and through. The Alabama job is a damn empire right now and you just don't give the reigns of the empire to a mere peon that has no experience running the place. JMHO but Smart would be wise to seriously consider a HC position if it arose even though he would most likely have to take a considerable pay cut for a while.

Well, they went that route once with Dumbass Dubose and he was a "bama boy" through and through. The Alabama job is a damn empire right now and you just don't give the reigns of the empire to a mere peon that has no experience running the place. JMHO but Smart would be wise to seriously consider a HC position if it arose even though he would most likely have to take a considerable pay cut for a while.

I get that, but I guess I look at it as he was a DL coach, and it was twenty years ago. Smart has been the consistent defensive coordinator during the most consistently dominant period of their history. I'm not saying he's a guaranteed success, but I think they would be fools to not consider him whenever Saban leaves/retires.

Yes he wins, but there are other coaches gameday coaches that I would rather have. Honestly tell me. How many times have you watched a Saban team get out coached only to come back and win in the last minutes because he has superior depth and talent. His system doesnt work in the NFL because the roster limit and equal talent plays to his one true weakness.

As far as other coaches in his tree, Dantonio has been successful. Chip Kelley coaches the O in Philly and when was Pat Shurmer ever under Saban?. McElwein is Zook 2.0 waiting to happen.

Now Fisher. He did win a National Championship last year and beat us. Granted I think I could've won 10 games with that roster and schedule. If he doesn't get thrashed by Oregon, which I hope he does, I will call him a great coach, but he would still fall under the mediocre game coach who out talents people.

In today's college football world, you have stock up the best players available, train and develop that talent, and you have to hire a staff that gets the absolute best out of that talent. You need stability and consistency to build a program like UAT's - a coach will win some and lose some, but if you can do those things year after year after year, you will be competing for championships most seasons. And they are doing it more than most teams in the nation.

Other teams are contenders every now and then (Oregon still hasn't won a NC) but few stay at the top of the heap on a consistent basis.

Keesler, this is not an attack against you but almost every fan in the country. The UAT dynasty is built on one single play. Can anyone guess what it is? Colt MCcoy being injured in the 2009 Championship Game. He doesn't go down and Texas wins by two TD's. This right here would've ended what was about to happen.

It would've ended the rogue boosters, obvious rule-breaking by coaches, and the paying players. It would've ended hearing those mouth breathing rednecks brag about how they were untouchable. After that 2009 Championship, no one was going to bring them down. Slive and Emmert would see to it that Saban would never be touched. The Saban "dynasty" is built on a myth. It's about the name. Why do you think the playoff committee put Ohio State in the 4th spot? To protect they're precious baby. Whenever Alabama loses what's the first thing you hear? "Can a how many ever loss Alabama make it." People need to stop kissing Saban's feet because of his championships. It has turned into a monster and the driver of that monster is ESPN.

The reasons I just wrote really has made me question if I will continue to watch CFB. That penalty on that DE in the SECCG showed exactly what's going to happen if you try to fight back against Alabama. You won't win.

In 2011 Saban got beat on his own field and undeservedly got a rematch while sitting at home and not playing a conference championship game. Yes, we all know UAT was the best team in the nation, but that team lost at home and got a REMATCH. It pissed the nation off so much that the playoff was formed.

In 2012 Alabama once again backs their way into second place and plays probably the worst team to ever make a BCS game in Notre Dame.

In 2014 I can truly say it may be his best coaching job. They deserve to be number one right now.

The rest of the SEC is closing the talent gap and it is going to be shown soon when Saban starts dropping games he used to win. Everybody is saying, "Alabama is down this year." They're not! The rest of the league is getting better. They're as good as they've always been. When the league catches up he's going to go to greener pastures.

For every media analyst that gets on their knees for Saban they should really look at how he got there. I would have to say, there's not a luckier coach in the sport.

You want an example of a game where a coach on the other sideline out-gameplanned Saban only to see Alabama adjust mid-game and win?

Here's one: Auburn v. Alabama 2014.

We came into that game with a fantastic gameplan on both sides of the ball. Their team was clearly rattled heading into halftime, and they contemplated benching a QB that just led them to a 12-1 record and an SEC title. Then, Saban pumped the brakes, opened up the offense (going for it on a make-or-break 4th and 2), adjusted his defense enough to get a few stops in a game where we looked unstoppable, and viola! They landed one of the best wins in the program since 2007. That was PHENOMENAL in-game coaching. It really was. He didn't win that game by out-talenting us. They had the same players in the first quarter as they did in the fourth. They won it by remaining calm, taking some calculated risks, and tweaking the offensive and defensive playcalling.

I'm sorry. It's just ridiculous to pretend like he's just a recruiter. Was he just out-talenting everyone in East Lansing? Did he just have the best players at Alabama in 2008? Give me a break. As they say in the NBA, game recognizes game. He respects the hell out of Gus and vice versa. You don't have a like him to tip your cap.

Never won more than 9 games a year at Michigan State....

The Iron Bowl was lost when we started kicking field goals. Why would he adjust from that while Auburn fielded an abortion of a defense. He knew sooner or later our players would break and they did. Don't act like it was some mid game magic adjustment.

To show the composure he has he warmed up an FSU third string QB to go in in the 2nd quarter.

You might need to do like Gary Danielson and get a private room to watch his playoff game so you getting all riled up doesn't disturb anyone.

Archived