Former AU Coach Joe Connally Has Died

Proud Tiger

Joe Connally was offensive line coach at AU for 26 years, unheard of in today's world. I had the pleasure of knowing him. Many younger fans won't remember him. He was a very good coach and a true gentleman.

http://obits.al.com/obituaries/huntsville/obituary.aspx?n=joseph-henry-connally-joe&pid=173505362

There are probably less than ten of us on this board that remember coach Connally and the guys he coached with. There were some fine coaches and fine gentlemen associated with the AU program back then.

Sometimes I wonder if we don't hire and fire too quickly these days. Guys don't forget how to coach in one year. Patience might be a better way to go.

There are probably less than ten of us on this board that remember coach Connally and the guys he coached with. There were some fine coaches and fine gentlemen associated with the AU program back then.

Sometimes I wonder if we don't hire and fire too quickly these days. Guys don't forget how to coach in one year. Patience might be a better way to go.

I know young people get tired of hearing old guys saying "it was a different world" - but it was. I had the privilege of meeting Joe once and Shug couple of times. As a kid In the early sixties I wrote Shug letters and he answered every one of them (I still have them).

Mikey, you used the word gentlemen, which is not a word heard much any more. It is missed.

I know young people get tired of hearing old guys saying "it was a different world" - but it was. I had the privilege of meeting Joe once and Shug couple of times. As a kid In the early sixties I wrote Shug letters and he answered every one of them (I still have them).

Mikey, you used the word gentlemen, which is not a word heard much any more. It is missed.

ShugMan55, I am part of that era and sometimes I am very saddened by where we are headed as a society. The reason gentleman is not used much anymore is that not too many qualify. What really made this country great is disappearing right before our very eyes but I won't get into that. I never got to meet Coach Connally but I did get to watch a game in 1976 with Shug and Wayne Frazier, former Auburn center in the late 50's. If you had to define what a gentleman is, Shug is the best definition I can think of. RIP Coach Connally. War Eagle!!!

ShugMan55, I am part of that era and sometimes I am very saddened by where we are headed as a society. The reason gentleman is not used much anymore is that not too many qualify. What really made this country great is disappearing right before our very eyes but I won't get into that. I never got to meet Coach Connally but I did get to watch a game in 1976 with Shug and Wayne Frazier, former Auburn center in the late 50's. If you had to define what a gentleman is, Shug is the best definition I can think of. RIP Coach Connally. War Eagle!!!

I have had more than one role model in my life but Shug was probably the best, certainly in the area of how to conduct yourself in public. Even little things. Some on this board call our competition vulgar names. I don't because I don't think Shug would approve. He never sunk to Coach Bryant's level and I admire him for that.

Agree with your sentiment but those days are not coming back... in Div 1 at least. Big money = Big expectations = Short leash =Frequent Turnover.

You can look around Div II and Div III and still find a good many coaches who have been at their schools a couple decades or longer...guys who stay put because of they love their schools and because they don't look at their jobs as a stepping stone to a higher paycheck....and it is often the case for their staff.

Another WW II vet gone...and one of the last of the old era of football coaches.

Mr. Connally (Joe) was a good man. Met him a few times in the late 60`s and early 7`s. He and Shug and most coaches in that era were gentlemen until they stepped on the field. As AUgolf said, he and Coach Lorendo could scare you and I only saw it from the sidelines.

I was a kid when he coached and do remember him very well. I am sure there are only a handful if that who stay at one school half of the time he did. His kind of coaching is what helped put Auburn football on the map. I am sure he has reunited with Coach Jordan and the yesteryear Auburn coaching gang in Heaven!

Fifty-seven years ago Joe Connally was coaching the 1957 Auburn freshmen offensive linemen (guards/tackles). He taught the arts and skills needed back when you played both sides of the line. He was always calm (if possible in football) and would take the extra steps making sure you understood what was needed to be an effective blocker in the rugged and fundamental stage that fine football demands. I'm thankful for having been from your coaching era. With great admiration, I salute Joe (hit 'em with a broom) Connally. Thanks for the memories. War Eagle Forever.

Was on the team back in the early 70's and I totally believe Coach Connally was the one of the most respected on the staff…very quiet and reserved….at the time you don't think about it, but most of our coaches had served in WWII and now looking back, I wonder how much that experience influenced them in their coaching styles….Coach Connally rarely yelled….he was mainly teaching and instructing…we ran a slant tackle with our tackles, don't see that today…probably brought over by Coach Davis (who was yelling with his raspy voice)…but Coach Connally was loved by all….thanks for your dedication to Auburn University

Archived