Why Would Anyone Hire Bo Pelini?

PowerOfDixieland

The audio of his address to the Nebraska football team after Shawn Eichorst fired him. This guy is toxic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/listen--bo-pelini-s-talk-with-his-players-on-december-2-123815327.html?bcmt=comments-postbox

**Warning** this is not safe to be played without headphones if anybody else is in the room.

There are a few like him out there and always a school wanting to win so badly that they overlook the character issues. If he gets Youngstown turned around, they probably won't care.

And when he doesn't and starts ripping their fans like he did when he was in Lincoln? There are character "issues" and then there is just plain bad character.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1776567-nebraska-football-tape-of-bo-pelini-ripping-fair-weather-husker-fans-surfaces

I'm betting Eichorst has all the NU attorneys trying to figure out how to bail on his buyout.

Easy - because he wins. Yeah, he's toxic, and I wouldn't touch him, but I will give him his credit where it is due. Plus, I don't think that the toxic is entirely Bo Pellini...I don't think the Nebraska situation is as rosy as even they're letting on. Something is rotten in Denmark.

I'm betting Eichorst has all the NU attorneys trying to figure out how to bail on his buyout.

Maybe but can't imagine that anyone there is surprised...he was a hot head when they hired him and they made their deal with the devil....and if he had won a few more games they probably would have kept him. JMO but best thing for the Huskers to do is just ignore him, write the checks and move on. Nobody is impressed with his vitriol and more people wonder why he was hired than why he was fired.

They got the anti-Bo in Riley who will be civil, get along with fans and media and win about the same number of games.

Easy - because he wins. Yeah, he's toxic, and I wouldn't touch him, but I will give him his credit where it is due. Plus, I don't think that the toxic is entirely Bo Pellini...I don't think the Nebraska situation is as rosy as even they're letting on. Something is rotten in Denmark.

I agree. They just gave him a new 5 year contract last year and then fire him after they go 9-3 this season. Why didn't they just fire him last year? Talk about pulling the rug out. Apparently Pelini's attitude was acceptable enough last year but not this year? How else do you explain firing him now and not last year? I'm not a fan of Bo Pelini. I don't agree with him being so vulgar but I can understand his frustration about getting the cold shoulder from his bosses and the mixed messages with their actions.

Sadly the Nebraska fans and athletic department don't seem to grasp reality. They're never going to play for a NC again. Those days are over. Frank Solich came close in 2001 but got blown out by Miami. Then Bo Pelini was close to winning conference champinoships. I'm not sure very many coaches can do better than Solich or Pelini have already done. I don't think many big name coaches are going to be willing to go to Nebraska to coach there. I mean they've fired 2 coaches now than won 9 games in their last seasons at Nebraska. Any slip up and you're on the hot seat. Frank Solich didn't have a bad attitude or was vulgar like Pelini yet he was also let go.

Even Will Muschamp would likely still be at Florida had he won 9 games this year. Mark Richt is still at UGA after mediocre seasons. Richt would have likely been fired like Pelini was if he were at Nebraska for not winning the division with a 9-3 record like he did at UGA this year.

The extension was a standard one year to keep it at five years so as to give the impression to recruits that he would be there throughout the time that they would potentially be committing to. And yes, his schtick had become so untenable that Eichorst and Perlman (and Osborne?) had (suddenly) seemingly grown weary of averaging "only" nine win a season.

His buyout is reported to be almost $8 Million. Seems like somebody in administration would have to answer for that.

http://heavy.com/sports/2014/11/bo-pelini-contract-salary-buyout-record-nebraska-coach/

And when he doesn't and starts ripping their fans like he did when he was in Lincoln? There are character "issues" and then there is just plain bad character.

http://bleacherrepor...r-fans-surfaces

maybe

But what a statement that would make to a prospective coach... Bail on the back end and they'll be hard pressed to play believable negotiator, later on down the road when the next coaches 9'wins are not enough. It could hurt'em more in the long run. as long as the current AD is around.

The audio of his address to the Nebraska football team after Shawn Eichorst fired him. This guy is toxic.

http://sports.yahoo....omments-postbox

**Warning** this is not safe to be played without headphones if anybody else is in the room.

Same type school that hired charlie weiss, a desperate one

Archived