***12/18/14 Updates - Bowl Prep Continues***

RunInRed

A few Auburn defensive players met the media following the Tigers' morning practice ...

Jonathan Jones

Jones on Will Muschamp at practice: "It's been intense. The energy has definitely been up."

Jones on his season: "You look back on it and say, 'What can I improve on for next year?'"

@wareagleextra

CB Jonathan Jones on Will Muschamp: "You're starting fresh, so that's a good thing for everybody."

@bmarcello

Jonathan Jones on Charlie Harbison running the defense: "You want to keep it as simple as you can. … Everybody's buying in."

@AUBlog

Jones on facing Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon: "You have to gang tackle him. You can't be scared."

@JFergusonAU

Kris Frost

Linebacker Kris Frost up next. When it comes to Melvin Gordon, Frost says "he's a really balanced running back.

@wareagleextra

Kris Frost on Melvin Gordon: "He's a really balanced running back, he has a lot of moves in his arsenal. … Makes him tough to bring down.

Frost on Harbison: "It's a whole lot of carryover, it's really not a lot of difference. … The feel of practice is quicker, more intense."

@AUBlog

LB Kris Frost on Will Muschamp: "Really high intense guy. He's mostly been sitting back and observing us."

LB Kris Frost has filed paperwork to NFL Draft Advisory Board. He and Cassanova McKinzy are weighing whether to go pro.

@bmarcello

LB Kris Frost on Muschamp: "Really intense guy...you can just tell that he loves what he does. He's a perfectionist at it."

According to Frost, interim LB coach Travis Williams said "it was a dream come true" to be able to coach the unit.

@JFergusonAU

Rudy Ford

Ford on Muschamp: "He's very observant. ... He's very passionate. I know that for a fact."

Ford on Carl Lawson: "He creates that pass-rush. Having Carl Lawson is going to be a big impact (next year)."

@wareagleextra

S Rudy Ford on Charlie Harbison holding the interim DC job during bowl practice: "We've definitely picked up our intensity."

@JFergusonAU

Rudy Ford on influence of Will Muschamp: "We can definitely be a top 10 defense, … we're going to be one of the top defenses out there."

@AUBlog

More on Frost and McKinzy (via @PMARSHONAU/247Sports) ...

“We’ve both been weighing out the options of coming out early and staying,” Frost said. “Right now, it’s all about how we feel. It’s all about going into this bowl game, how we play and everything. It’s a business decision for us and our families.

“I can’t really speak for him, but I know that he is going to make the decision for him, as well as I am.”

I like hearing all of this, but the "picking up the intensity" thing bothers me...where was that during the season?

Can't wait to see what CWM can get out of this group.

I like hearing all of this, but the "picking up the intensity" thing bothers me...where was that during the season?

Can't wait to see what CWM can get out of this group.

It shouldn't bother you, it should get you pumped! Hopefully CWM can carry that energy over into next season and get these guys primed for a big year. I'm sure Harbison is just amping everything up to keep CWM from giving too much "feedback," or "advice."

I'm just wrapping my head around Cass and Frost thinking about leaving early for the NFL. I think it would be a huge mistake as we have seen so many in the past leave early only to not get drafted or even end up on a practice squad. Not from a selfish standpoint, but i sincerely hope they come back for another year under the guidance of Coach Boom. I think both will be in for a super year in 2015.

This will be their 3rd DC while at AU. So I could see them being a little worried about learning yet another defense. But I agree that both could really be helped if next year goes well.

I'm just wrapping my head around Cass and Frost thinking about leaving early for the NFL. I think it would be a huge mistake as we have seen so many in the past leave early only to not get drafted or even end up on a practice squad. Not from a selfish standpoint, but i sincerely hope they come back for another year under the guidance of Coach Boom. I think both will be in for a super year in 2015.

I'm of the same opinion.

However, meta said that Cass is concerned about learning a new defensive scheme.

I'm of the same opinion.

However, meta said that Cass is concerned about learning a new defensive scheme.

Hmm, what exactly would he be doing if he was fortunate enough to make an NFL roster?....yep...learning a new, way more intricate defense.

Better for them both to come back and learn under someone like Muschamp and actually have a shot at getting drafted after next season.

I'm of the same opinion.

If he did come back and learn Boom's system though, wouldn't he be better prepared for an NFL career? Don't more NFL teams run similar schemes, or am I off base on that?

Yeah, I agree with you two. Is it better for these two to "learn a new system" in college against collegiate competition, or try and "learn" vs NFL talent.

I love any and all men that have given their all for our school and program, but neither of these guys are ready for the next step in my opinion.

Based on measurables, if either can grasp the 4-3, they could be in for substantial paydays down the road.

Just my obviously uneducated opinion...

I'm of the same opinion.

Hmm, what exactly would he be doing if he was fortunate enough to make an NFL roster?....yep...learning a new, way more intricate defense.

Better for them both to come back and learn under someone like Muschamp and actually have a shot at getting drafted after next season.

LOL -- Yep! If learning a new system scares them away from their last year at Auburn, it doesn't bode too well for a future in the NFL!

I'm of the same opinion.

If he did come back and learn Boom's system though, wouldn't he be better prepared for an NFL career? Don't more NFL teams run similar schemes, or am I off base on that?

One would think so. My argument was that, why not show a little effort and learn a new scheme?

If he declares this year, I would wager that he'd wind up be an undrafted free agent. If he can grasp the basic skills to progress under Muschamp, what's there to lose? He could improve his draft stock....or be an undrafted free agent next year.

I'm of the same opinion.

One would think so. My argument was that, why not show a little effort and learn a new scheme?

If he declares this year, I would wager that he'd wind up be an undrafted free agent. If he can grasp the basic skills to progress under Muschamp, what's there to lose? He could improve his draft stock....or be an undrafted free agent next year.

it didn't appear any of our defensive players actually learned Ellis' system yet.

10634581.jpeg

"I'm just trying to get to know the players better," Muschamp said. "The player-coach relationship is a two-way street. It's about trust and respect. The guys are going to see how hard we're willing to work for them to put them in the best situation to be successful both on and off the field."

"I watched a lot of game film before I came," he said, "We've got good enough talent for us to be fine."

"I'm doing what I enjoy," Muschamp said. "I enjoyed being the head coach, but certainly some of those duties as head coach takes you away from your team a little bit. I enjoy being back in the meeting rooms more, not that I wasn't before because I was very involved, but to have the day-to-day position meetings, defensive team meetings and I get on the field and directly coach guys on the field more has been a lot of fun."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121914aac.html

Yeah, I agree with you two. Is it better for these two to "learn a new system" in college against collegiate competition, or try and "learn" vs NFL talent.

I love any and all men that have given their all for our school and program, but neither of these guys are ready for the next step in my opinion.

Based on measurables, if either can grasp the 4-3, they could be in for substantial paydays down the road.

Just my obviously uneducated opinion...

Forget learning a system. These guys should be just as concerned about learning and polishing fundamentals as they are systems. They played pretty decent ball last year, but their fundamentals are nowhere near NFL ready.

I'm of the same opinion.

But they'd be getting paid to learn the new system in the NFL! Its really a crap shoot if coming back helps or hurts.. But in their situations where they are late rounders at best. I agree they would be better served to come back, get a little bigger and a little stronger and see if Mushamp can raise their game. I think it could help Frost a lot just because he is probably a little better suited to play OLB in the 4-3 vs more of an inside role in the 4-2.

"I watched a lot of game film before I came," he said, "We've got good enough talent for us to be fine".......Will Muschamp

That is refreshing to hear.

Archived