Can Auburn keep Gus Malzahn?

AURex

CGM is already being mentioned as a prospective head coach in the NFL. If Auburn has a successful year in 2015, can we hang on to CGM? The median salary of head coaches in the NFL is $5M, but there is also the prestige factor.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/21/7430373/nfl-teams-targeting-jim-mora-gus-malzahn-per-report

Personally, I don't think CGM would jump if offered now. But a year or two from now?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he is a college coach. Chip Kelly has cooled off quite a bit from his hot start of a year ago. Didnt make the playoffs this year. In interviews he has essentially stated he really likes being around and teaching young men of college age. It can't be ruled out but I don't see him going to the NFL

He might. I wouldn't blame him. He has said he fits in well at Auburn and feels like college is the place for him but he is also an expert at BSing the media.

IMO, I think CGM would be a terrible fit in the NFL. If anyone from the SEC jumps to the NFL right now, I think it would be Sumlin from TAMU.

NFL coaches tend to start there as assistants and move up to head coaches there. Several very successful NCAA coaches moved to the NFL and then moved back to college. They can make a lot of money in the NFL, but the top colleges pay well now too. I think Gus stays put at Auburn. I would be more concerned with him moving to another college.

NFL coaches tend to start there as assistants and move up to head coaches there. Several very successful NCAA coaches moved to the NFL and then moved back to college. They can make a lot of money in the NFL, but the top colleges pay well now too. I think Gus stays put at Auburn. I would be more concerned with him moving to another college.

I don't think you have to be concerned with that.

He isn't going anywhere. As long as he wins and gets what he needs to be successful, I don't see him jumping ship for another school or the NFL. Too many successful college coaches have made the NFL leap and although a few have had temporary success, most have failed. It is a different game and different coaching techniques are required. That is one of the reasons that NFL coaches get bounced around the league. Once you are in the clique you will most likely have a job.

IMO, I think CGM would be a terrible fit in the NFL. If anyone from the SEC jumps to the NFL right now, I think it would be Sumlin from TAMU.

Malzahn would be a "terrible fit", yet you expect Sumlin to make the jump? LOL. Sumlin can't even win with unlimited resources and a rebuilding Texas program...what an absurd statement.

I absolutely think that Malzahn could make the transition. Whether or not he wants to is yet to be determined. The "failing" thing is over-exaggerated; if he "fails" he can just hop back to a top collegiate program with ease. Look at what Michigan is offering Harbaugh. Look at what Alabama offered Saban.

CGM is already being mentioned as a prospective head coach in the NFL. If Auburn has a successful year in 2015, can we hang on to CGM? The median salary of head coaches in the NFL is $5M, but there is also the prestige factor.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/21/7430373/nfl-teams-targeting-jim-mora-gus-malzahn-per-report

Personally, I don't think CGM would jump if offered now. But a year or two from now?

The only thing we need to be worried about is the Waffle House changing their menu or Jeb Bush deciding to accept a position on CWM's defensive staff.

Chip Kelly has cooled off quite a bit from his hot start of a year ago. Didnt make the playoffs this year.

Cooled off? They're playing with Mark freaking Sanchez at QB, and have still been competitive. There are a hell of a lot of current NFL head coaches that are below Kelly.

Chip Kelly has cooled off quite a bit from his hot start of a year ago. Didnt make the playoffs this year.

Cooled off? They're playing with Mark freaking Sanchez at QB, and have still been competitive. There are a hell of a lot of current NFL head coaches that are below Kelly.

Yeah well the Mark Sanchez experiment didn't do too hot. You can only do so much with reclamation projects. Truth is he doesn't have a good enough quarterback right now and getting a good enough one is very difficult in the NFL. Look how many teams are in desperate search of a quarterback right now. I didn't say he wasn't good. It is just he's not quite what some made him out to be last year. He is mortal. They lost to the pitiful redskins today.

Yeah well the Mark Sanchez experiment didn't do too hot. You can only do so much with reclamation projects. Truth is he doesn't have a good enough quarterback right now and getting a good enough one is very difficult in the NFL. Look how many teams are in desperate search of a quarterback right now. I didn't say he wasn't good. It is just he's not quite what some made him out to be last year. He is mortal. They lost to the pitiful redskins today.

Nobody said he was immortal, but the fact is that it is absurd to state that he has "cooled off" because his starting QB got injured. You can't pit that on him.

http://www.sbnation....zahn-per-report

We absolutely cannot keep him. The new NFL franchise, the Little Rock Rockers has already offered him 18 million a year on a five year deal. He is taking JJ, Jovon Robinson and Adams with him as players. But don't worry, after an off-season of rest we'll be hiring Ellis Johnson for our new head coach. Feel better now?

It's not like Mark Sanchez was his chosen starter. Nick Foles got hurt and Sanchez, a serviceable backup mind you, has been playing. If Foles had not been hurt, odds are the Eagles win the East.

Dallas is the only job Gus would ever leave Auburn for. I've heard him mention on more than one occasion that if he had a dream job, the Cowboys would be it. Timing would have to be right, but down the road, Jerry might steal him away.

Dallas is the only job Gus would ever leave Auburn for. I've heard him mention on more than one occasion that if he had a dream job, the Cowboys would be it. Timing would have to be right, but down the road, Jerry might steal him away.

Why would anyone want to coach a team owned by Jerry Jones? Jerry Jones is rapidly becoming the next Al Davis. He micromanages the Cow turds just like Davis did in Oakland. Gus has it made at Auburn and knows what he has. He will most likely get a salary increase after the bowl game that will get him near the 5 million $$$ mark. He was given carte blanc with hiring CWM as the highest paid assistant coach in all of college football. I feel 99.9% sure that we will see a new and improved contract for Gus. Nothing has been said about this, but you can take it to the bank that it will happen. I know we had an 8-4 season, but we all know the best is yet to come from Gus.

I ain't worried until the Cowboys have a new owner. At that point, I become a Cowboys fan of sorts, hoping they never, ever, ever, have another losing season while Gus is still an active coach.

Nobody said he was immortal, but the fact is that it is absurd to state that he has "cooled off" because his starting QB got injured. You can't pit that on him.

The quarterback that got injured had more interceptions than touchdowns. He doesn't have a good enugh quarterback period. His qb had a remarkable season last year but now, this year defensive coordinators around the league knew how to defend him. Unless he finds one in the draft, which isn't likely, he will have the same problems next year. Foles was a one hit wonder. Now he's back to what he really is, a middle of the pack guy, at best. Kelly is a good coach but in the NFL without a really good quarterback, you're not going much of anywhere.

Harbaugh is on his way out in Sam Francisco two years after reaching the super bowl. Kapernick has come back down to earth. There are other reasons besides that but it has played a role. I say all that to say this. NFL is a not for long league. It all hinges on the quarterback. Top level guys are hard to come by.

Guest jojo1515

On Chip, the best possible QB in the NFL to fit his system will not be resigning his contract this year. Cam Newton is not happy at Carolina and has said that he will not even look at a contract extension until the season is over. If those two team up, all bets are off. That could be the key to long term success for both of those guys and I expect it will at least be discussed.

On Chip, the best possible QB in the NFL to fit his system will not be resigning his contract this year. Cam Newton is not happy at Carolina and has said that he will not even look at a contract extension until the season is over. If those two team up, all bets are off. That could be the key to long term success for both of those guys and I expect it will at least be discussed.

Carolina can and will franchise him if they don't agree to a new contract.. I think they can do that twice maybe three time.

Archived