Travaris Robinson will join the Auburn coaching staff

RunInRed

No surprise here. Welcome home T-Rob!

Florida defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson will join Auburn’s staff, according to a source.

It’s a return to his alma matter for Robinson, who played safety for the Tigers from 1999-02. After two seasons in the NFL, he got his start coaching at Auburn, where he was a graduate assistant for two years. A highly respected recruiter in his native Miami, the 33-year-old Robinson coached defensive backs the next three seasons at Western Kentucky, Southern Miss and Texas Tech before landing at Florida in 2011.

He rejoins new Auburn defensive coordinator and former Florida head coach Will Muschamp, who hired Robinson as part of his original Gators staff. Auburn cornerbacks coach Melvin Smith is not expected to return in his current capacity. Florida entered Saturday’s 28-20 win against East Carolina in the Birmingham Bowl ranked 23rd in the FBS in pass defense (194.2 yards per game), while Auburn was 67th (230.1 yards per game).

http://www.si.com/co...-florida-gators

The Robinson news is no surprise, he’s been telling people he’s coming to Auburn since the night Muschamp was hired.

@JHokanson

Auburn confirms the hire of Travaris Robinson as the team's new cornerbacks coach. With that, Melvin Smith is gone.

@wareagleextra

Travaris Robinson is coming home to coach Auburn's cornerbacks.

Coach Gus Malzahn announced the hiring of the former Auburn player and graduate assistant Saturday. Robinson played at Auburn from 1999-2002 and spent the last four years at Florida coaching the secondary for new Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp. He was a staff assistant and graduate assistant at Auburn in 2006 and 2007 during Muschamp's first stint as the Tigers' defensive coordinator.

"I'm very excited about returning to Auburn where I played, received my degree, and was a graduate assistant," Robinson said. "Auburn has provided me so many opportunities and I'm excited to be able to give back to a place that has meant so much to me. I have a lot of respect for Coach Malzahn and I'm looking forward to working for him. My family and I are glad to be back home."

http://www.auburntig.../010315aaa.html

Excited to welcome TRob back to the Auburn! He's an excellent coach/recruiter, will be a valuable asset to our program!

@CoachGusMalzahn

B6dLjclCQAATHSI.jpg

RELATED: Randy Shannon to join McElwain's staff at Florida

g8i4sfw9bhprqeqge7wk.jpeg

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would think some of these AU coaches took some posters lunch money...lol

Right? I understand wanting change, but cheering over someone getting fired...I dunno. I seriously doubt any of them were mailing it in or making the defense bad on purpose so I don't understand ill will towards them. That's someone's livelihood people are crowing about.

Right? I understand wanting change, but cheering over someone getting fired...I dunno. I seriously doubt any of them were mailing it in or making the defense bad on purpose so I don't understand ill will towards them. That's someone's livelihood people are crowing about.

Who said anything about cheering someone getting fired? Look this is a results oriented business and these guys know the drill when they get into the profession. If WM decides cheese is worth keeping then ok. Hell I've been fired before. It's never fun but life is what it is. I wish no one any ill will. I wish them all the best in their next job. Maybe it will work out for them and they'll be able to be there many years.

Technically, since AU is a public university then yes, some coaches are stealing money from us taxpayers in general. But more specifically, the entire D staff stole money from AU this past season based on what they are being paid.

wde

Technically, since AU is a public university then yes, some coaches are stealing money from us taxpayers in general.

You do know that the athletic department at AU pays its own way, right?

Technically, since AU is a public university then yes, some coaches are stealing money from us taxpayers in general.

You do know that the athletic department at AU pays its own way, right?

Without the public university there would be no athletic department. It is a symbiotic relationship, but ultimately, without public funding AU (and the AU football program) would cease to exist.

wde

Archived