Auburn-Georgia Tech

AUTUmike

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kind of indifferent on this one. I'd much rather schedule a game against an OSU or even Oregon. I think Auburn is trying to get their UGA game switched around so they don't have to play them and Alabama on the road in the same year.

Don't have to go too far back to when this was a significant rivalry. When I was at AU ('81-'85) the Wreck Tech parade was arguably the biggest event on campus (what WAS that smelly purple stuff the frat boys covered themselves with?). Recently, some of the most annoying AU losses have been against GT. Johnson knows what he's doing, Tech is likely a quality team until he leaves. Still can't believe Mizzou is in the SEC but GT isn't any more.

This is ridiculous. Does Jay Jacobs know anybody else other than the Clemson and Ga Tech AD's? Why can't we play VaTech or Miami? Unbelievable

It does seem we spend an awful lot of time trying stay close to home with our OOC games. We do have the series with Cal coming up in a few years but let's try to work something with some other schools out of the B1G or Big 12. Heck I would love some more against the Pac 12. I'd love USC or Oregon just to name two.

We need to forget scheduling GT and CLEMSON and move on to something different. I don't see how we are ever going to be considered a national brand if we keep playing the neighbors in the backyard! And can't we get someone other than Wisconsin in the bowl games? Let's play someone different!

This is ridiculous. Does Jay Jacobs know anybody else other than the Clemson and Ga Tech AD's? Why can't we play VaTech or Miami? Unbelievable

It does seem we spend an awful lot of time trying stay close to home with our OOC games. We do have the series with Cal coming up in a few years but let's try to work something with some other schools out of the B1G or Big 12. Heck I would love some more against the Pac 12. I'd love USC or Oregon just to name two.

If you can fill stadiums, allow your alum base to have easy access to the road game, travel expenses are reasonable and the opponent will bring a good crowd to Auburn....what's not to like? Perhaps it's not sexy....but after all...it's a business....

If you can fill stadiums, allow your alum base to have easy access to the road game, travel expenses are reasonable and the opponent will bring a good crowd to Auburn....what's not to like? Perhaps it's not sexy....but after all...it's a business....

I understand all that. As I recall Washington State brought a sizable crowd a couple of years ago. The fan base will travel to other places. We've seen that with the USC game a few years ago. They'll travel to Cal when that comes up. You don't think they'd sell all the tickets to a game with OSU or PSU? A game against Oklahoma would draw fans from both schools easily. Those kind of games get your fanbase pumped. Clemson and GT are ok every once in a while but it gets old after a while and seems kind of stale and unimaginative. This does nothing for your SOS and could actually hurt you in the eyes of the committee. In the current 4 team format it won't matter because unless you are conference champion, you aren't getting in. When they go to 6 or 8 it could make the difference between getting in and staying home.

The gutless JellyJackets canceled a series of nearly 100 games because we beat them 10 times in a row. Nonetheless, I'm all for renewing the rivalry. As 64 points out, it's a good, inexpensive road game. I'd like to start whuppin' Tech again. I don't care if we play a west coast team or not, I'm not making the trip. Play in Grant Field and I'm there. As far as I'm concerned we can sign a ten-year home and home with them, it'll be fun. :thumbsup:

Guess I don't understand the need to see a team we will never see again...get that in bowl games...more fun IMO, playing a team where their fans live among us....

Despite the yawns....the games will be sold out, full house, chance for AU people to see another game, a big payday for AU and a very worthy opponent. I'm against neutral site games other than Atlanta....

And just a reminder...it's not automatic that Oregon or these other schools are that eager to play at AUburn...some folks making a lot of assumptions about why these matches never come to pass.

Depends on what the strategy is here. If we're replacing a San Jose St or a La Monroe with GT, I'm for it. But if this is our big step outside the box, I'm against it. Think about how much good pub we got from going on the road to K State and winning (at least until both teams fell off). And K State isn't even that sexy of an opponent but it got us out of the southeast to go play a good opponent. Easy road trip aside, if we want to be seen as a regional brand, we can keep playing regional teams. If we believe ourselves to be a national brand, we have to step up and play more nationally respected teams.

I like it. I have always liked playing G Tech, although they had our number the last few times we played them. The triple option is tough to stop, but it should be fun!

Guess I don't understand the need to see a team we will never see again...get that in bowl games...more fun IMO, playing a team where their fans live among us....

Despite the yawns....the games will be sold out, full house, chance for AU people to see another game, a big payday for AU and a very worthy opponent. I'm against neutral site games other than Atlanta....

And just a reminder...it's not automatic that Oregon or these other schools are that eager to play at AUburn...some folks making a lot of assumptions about why these matches never come to pass.

I can GUARANTEE you Oregon would have NO problem scheduling us. Since ive lived here, they have played home and home against Oklahoma, Michigan, Michigan St (this year,) and at least 2 or 3 trips to Knoxville. And that isnt counting the neutral site game against LSU a couple years back. They are NOT scared when it comes to scheduling. And OH MY GOD, I would LOVE it if we scheduled a home and home with the Ducks. I would give my left um... leg... yeah thats it, my leg to see Auburn play at Autzen.

Back on topic, I would rather play Tech than Clemson, but maybe thats just me...

I can GUARANTEE you Oregon would have NO problem scheduling us. Since ive lived here, they have played home and home against Oklahoma, Michigan, Michigan St (this year,) and at least 2 or 3 trips to Knoxville. And that isnt counting the neutral site game against LSU a couple years back. They are NOT scared when it comes to scheduling. And OH MY GOD, I would LOVE it if we scheduled a home and home with the Ducks. I would give my left um... leg... yeah thats it, my leg to see Auburn play at Autzen.

Back on topic, I would rather play Tech than Clemson, but maybe thats just me...

I'm good with Oregon we've been down that road... :)

If we want to drop a game...how about Arky....does anyone on this board care if they ever saw that team again ? ....let 'em go back to the SWC/Big 12 or whatever. Would rather play Clemson or Ga Tech than the hawgs....and yes, I do remember the Wreck Tech parade and saw the game in B'ham when we got them away from Atlanta and their first trip to Auburn....A good potential rivalry again.

Starting the Auburn - Georgia Tech series would be really good for both programs. Auburn fans travels very well. Heck, going to Grant Field would be almost like playing in Jordan-Hare because we always had more fans then they did.

I'm young, but everything I ever heard about the Tech rivalry was that it was incredible... Read up on it for anyone who is interested. I hope we renew this rivalry. It was my parent's favorite game of the season.

%^$#&^%$**^% Think I'll just kill myself. Good god almighty what the hell is JJ thinking schedule that piece of crap school. Bobby Dodd is/was a piece of you know what... Just shoot me now and get the frickin pain over with.

%^$#&^%$**^% Think I'll just kill myself. Good god almighty what the hell is JJ thinking schedule that piece of crap school. Bobby Dodd is/was a piece of you know what... Just shoot me now and get the frickin pain over with.

LOL

Archived