ICYMI: WR Dominic Walker transferring

RunInRed

Giving this it's own thread ...

Bryan Matthews ‏@BMattAU

Former Auburn WR Dominic Walker posts on social media that he's transferred to a junior college http://rvls.co/15zIDNm

Former Auburn WR Dominic Walker @DW_SHOWTIME4 confirmed he has transferred to Copiah Lincoln CC http://rvls.co/15zIDNm

B8KV9l3CIAA-anJ.jpg

Interesting that a player in a position of need would transfer out.

Not an impact player. Good luck to him.

Maybe not but but at 6-1 200lb receiver he could have been an impact player.

Time for Myron or a freshman to step up for spring ball.

Interesting that a player in a position of need would transfer out.

Not an impact player. Good luck to him.

Time for Myron or a freshman to step up for spring ball.

Guess he and/or the coaches felt differently. Heard he never made it off the practice squad.

We've now lost 3 players that's transferred out just in a very short time frame. I hope this means we're recruiting a lot of 4 and 5* guys to replace the guys that's left the program.

We've now lost 3 players that's transferred out just in a very short time frame. I hope this means we're recruiting a lot of 4 and 5* guys to replace the guys that's left the program.

This^^

+1

This is really head scratching. I was excited about this kid when he got here. That's a lot of wr depth we've lost, especially with Denson AWOL. the good news is that we were deep in that area last year.

Nope it means 2* and 3* we're going after.

+1

It is called the AU version of processing.

wde

If he was going to be an impact player he wouldn't have had trouble getting off the practice squad.

If he was going to be an impact player he wouldn't have had trouble getting off the practice squad.

we agree. I guess he didn't see this spring as his opportunity

+1

wde

Oh you must be on staff then and know we're processing them right?

+1

wde

Oh you must be on staff then and know we're processing them right?

LOL at you. Of course I am not on the staff, but I do have simple common sense and logic. FWIW, I am totally fine with it. Gus and staff are employed at a football factory to win football games. The kids on scholarship to play football at AU are only on that scholarship because they are hopefully good enough football players to win us championships and for that reason only. To win football games, you must have the best coaches and best players on the team. It is not rocket science.

wde

Once a again a lot of speculation but no facts - just 18 months ago he was expected to be a pretty good player, now he can kick rocks. I do not know the dynamics of why he is leaving, but once again does anyone know if it was the athlete or the coaches who made the decision?

just 18 months ago he was expected to be a pretty good player

We expect every player we sign to be a "pretty good player", but the reality is that every class we bring in will have guys that simply don't end up being good enough to play at this level. Walker made very little progress in his time here and wasn't expected to crack the playing rotation, period.

We expect every player we sign to be a "pretty good player", but the reality is that every class we bring in will have guys that simply don't end up being good enough to play at this level. Walker made very little progress in his time here and wasn't expected to crack the playing rotation, period.

^^^This all day long!^^^

^^^This all day long!^^^

I am aware of fans expectations ....It takes a lot of players more than two years to touch the field in a meaningful way. Does that mean AU gives up on guys after that or does the player leave on his own for more opps elsewhere? AU was raved for honoring 4 year schollys - just trying to determine if the kid was truly run off..

This thread is, indeed, all about not just speculation, but assumptions. Lashlee had pointed out that Walker was making good progress as a receiver. There are other reasons he might leave at the end of the semester and enroll elsewhere. And with his size and potential, to go to a CC rather than transfer to a D1 or D2 school. This suggests it might be academics. I don't know that to be a fact, but I do think it is wrong to just assume that he was pushed out by the coaches or left because he felt he would not get a chance to play.

This thread is, indeed, all about not just speculation, but assumptions. Lashlee had pointed out that Walker was making good progress as a receiver. There are other reasons he might leave at the end of the semester and enroll elsewhere. And with his size and potential, to go to a CC rather than transfer to a D1 or D2 school. This suggests it might be academics. I don't know that to be a fact, but I do think it is wrong to just assume that he was pushed out by the coaches or left because he felt he would not get a chance to play.

Rex, I've been watching this transfer thing for long years now. With the odd exception of public behavioral problems the reason 90+ % of players transfer out is that they see that they aren't going to get meaningful playing time. Of course, any individual could have unique circumstances but the smart money will always be on the guy leaving because he wants to go to a school where he can get on the field.

Rex, I've been watching this transfer thing for long years now. With the odd exception of public behavioral problems the reason 90+ % of players transfer out is that they see that they aren't going to get meaningful playing time. Of course, any individual could have unique circumstances but the smart money will always be on the guy leaving because he wants to go to a school where he can get on the field.

+1

Once a kid realizes that he will get limited action on the field, or be relegated to special teams I'm sure they have had extensive dialog with coaching staff and most coaches are honest with their players when they lay it out on the table for them in black 'n white. If the kid wants to see the field, then they are probably better served to take their skills elsewhere. IMO, it's a "mutual" decision in most big time programs.

Random and possibly redundant thought: regardless of the precise reasons for these departures, I'll take guys leaving for non-disciplinary reasons over the alternative every day of the week.

Random and possibly redundant thought: regardless of the precise reasons for these departures, I'll take guys leaving for non-disciplinary reasons over the alternative every day of the week.

This - And for players like that, I'd imagine coaches will bend over backwards to help them find a landing spot that suits them. Even the evil coaches in college football would help a good kid with integrity that represented the program well.

Archived