Jovon already displaying leadership role

StatTiger

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Auburns-Robinson-reaches-out-to-Mr-Football-35144970

When Kerryon Johnson won Alabama's Mr. Football award earlier this year, he received a phone call from an unfamiliar number with an Auburn area code. Johnson had the Auburn coaches' numbers saved and it wasn't them, so he ignored the call.

The following day, Johnson spoke with Auburn running back coach Tim Horton, who asked if he received a call from a current Auburn commitment who wanted to congratulate on him winning Mr. Football. Johnson remembered the phone call he ignored and immediately called the number back.

The number belonged to 5-star Auburn running back signee Jovon Robinson. The early enrollee reached out to Johnson on his own to congratulate him on winning the prestigious award and to talk about the future.

"He told me that's a big-time award, but we're past that now and you have to look ahead," Johnson told AuburnUndercover. "He told me we have to get it going and get back to the national championship. He told me, 'iron sharpens iron', and he told me we're going to push each other. That stuck with me. The coaches said Jovon is an intense guy and I appreciate him letting me know how it's going to be right away."

Robinson called Johnson again last week, and the two talked about their future together at Auburn and complimenting each other in the Tigers' backfield.

"He told me he can only do so much," Johnson said. "We have Roc (Thomas), but he's going to need me to come in and be ready to play. He told me I have to be ready to give them help. He's a big dude. I don't think he's going to let me not stay in touch with him, he's fun to talk to. I'm going to learn from him."

Johnson said the two plan to remain in contact until Johnson arrives on campus this summer. Robinson has two years of eligibility remaining after transferring from Georgia Military College, while Johnson plans to sign with Auburn on Feb. 4.

Great story, impressive young man. Remember, he told all AU fans he would make us forget about losing Yeldon. Fortunately, Mason and CAP did that already.

Thought that was Tre that said that.

Great story, impressive young man. Remember, he told all AU fans he would make us forget about losing Yeldon. Fortunately, Mason and CAP did that already.

Twas Jovon

I appreciate the built-in assumption, as the writer presents it, from Robinson that he's going to be the lead ball carrier. It's not, "we're all going to compete and make each other better"; it's "I can only take so many carries, Roc can help, but we need you to be a factor as well." If that's really how Jovon put it, he's definitely alpha-dogging this group. I respect that. It's on the coaches to keep a finger on the pulse and make sure those guys play well in the sandbox, but I think it's harder to develop an alpha-dog than it is to reign in one or two and make them work together.

I appreciate the built-in assumption, as the writer presents it, from Robinson that he's going to be the lead ball carrier. It's not, "we're all going to compete and make each other better"; it's "I can only take so many carries, Roc can help, but we need you to be a factor as well." If that's really how Jovon put it, he's definitely alpha-dogging this group. I respect that. It's on the coaches to keep a finger on the pulse and make sure those guys play well in the sandbox, but I think it's harder to develop an alpha-dog than it is to reign in one or two and make them work together.

I would look at this as Jovon being the oldest RB and taking on the leadership role. Nothing wrong with having confidence in his abilities either.

Twas Jovon

Well heck, I like him even more then now. :)

I bet Robinson gets 95% of the carries next year. I think Gus likes a workhorse

95%?? I doubt for one second its even close to that. It largely depends on how our offense changes from Marshall at QB to Johnson. CAP got right at 50% of our carries last year with 303 out of 607 carries.

This young man is what Auburn football is all about. I cannot wait to see Jovon, Roc, Kerryon, and the rest of the running back crew tear up SEC defenses in 2015. 2015 is going to be a special season that gets Auburn back on the championship track.

This young man is what Auburn football is all about. I cannot wait to see Jovon, Roc, Kerryon, and the rest of the running back crew tear up SEC defenses in 2015. 2015 is going to be a special season that gets Auburn back on the championship track.

I second that emotion doc. With an improved defense and the possibilities that JJ brings to the table along with duke and these guys, it should be special indeed.

Dude would probably shatter Tre's record with that much carries...

Gus does like to ride the one back. He might split it up a little more than he has been but I wouldn't bet on it.

Dude would probably shatter Tre's record with that much carries...

Gus does like to ride the one back. He might split it up a little more than he has been but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think since he knows he has a great backfield behind him, he'll really ride Jovon in the running game, but will give him a break when he's tired (I.E Tre against Missouri)

Sorry, I didn't put much thought into the exaggeration.

What i meant to say with my 95% comment was that Robinson will get 95% (exaggerated number) of the RB carries.

I think Jovon Robinson will get so many carries that there will be complaints on this board as to why Johnson, Thomas, and Barber are not on the field more. I'm not sure if there was any real reason that CAP should've gotten above and beyond so many more carries than the other RBs outside of possibly something that Gus must've told him during recruiting. Was the talent gap that huge? It's pure speculation on my part, though.

Gus didn't even give the other backs a chance to establish themselves like Tre Mason had to do while splitting carries the first 4 games of 2013.

95%?? I doubt for one second its even close to that. It largely depends on how our offense changes from Marshall at QB to Johnson. CAP got right at 50% of our carries last year with 303 out of 607 carries.

Marshall had 153, which put CAP at about 2/3 of the RB and WR carries. Not disputing anything said above, especially since Tiger has since clarified the exaggeration.

I think Jovon Robinson will get so many carries that there will be complaints on this board as to why Johnson, Thomas, and Barber are not on the field more.

No question about that. Or at least there is no question that there will be complaints about guys not getting enough carries. It'll be another season of an AU RB being at or near the top of the SEC, and another season of people wishing their recruiting crush was stealing carries from the best guy.

I didn't see Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber make their concession speeches. Did I miss something, or is Jovon counting his chickens a bit early? K. Johnson will be a bit behind because of not being here this coming spring but there will be a serious competition for that "95%" of the carries before anyone is crowned king. Jovon may or may not win the job.

Archived