Who is the best AU Corner in the past 10 years?

quietfan

Who's been the closest to a true, ironclad, "lock down" corner we've had since #1st rounder Carlos Rogers in 2004?

(I love the feeling of having a CB that can single-handed cover one entire side of the field, leaving us 10 guys to guard the rest! I also love a DB that will put a real hurtin' on every single opponent that comes his way...like the late, great David Langner!)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Irons

Nope. Jerraud Powers. 3rd round pick; still playing in the NFL.

Yup. Irons. Better College CB.

No one beat Irons deep.

Tho our boys played out of their minds, it was Powers who gave up the winning TD pass in Death Valley.

No one beat Irons deep.

Tho our boys played out of their minds, it was Powers who gave up the winning TD pass in Death Valley.

Irons held so much it wasn't even funny; that is why "no one beat him deep". Why do you think he had zero NFL career? Can't get away with that in the NFL.

Jerraud Powers was the superior player.

No one beat Irons deep.

Irons held so much it wasn't even funny; that is why "no one beat him deep". Why do you think he had zero NFL career? Can't get away with that in the NFL.

The OP was "Who's been the closest to a true, ironclad, "lock down" corner we've had since #1st rounder Carlos Rogers in 2004?"

Translation: AUBURN CB, not NFL

Final two seasons for each:

Irons: 2 INTs + 23 PBU = 25 total passes defended

Powers: 6 INTs + 12 PBU = 18 total passes defended

Stats show Irons as the superior Corner.

No one beat Irons deep.

The OP was "Who's been the closest to a true, ironclad, "lock down" corner we've had since #1st rounder Carlos Rogers in 2004?"

Even though Powers had 3 times the interceptions :-\

He was also injured for most of his junior year

No one beat Irons deep.

The 2004 Thorpe winner had just 2 that season.

No one beat Irons deep.

Did Irons win the 2004 Thorpe?

They weren't all on the level of Rogers, Powers, or Irons, but I think these guys had QBs taking notes:

Patrick Lee

Jonathan Wilhite

Walter McFadden

*All coached by Muschamp

No one beat Irons deep.

Did Irons win the 2004 Thorpe?

No. Powers did due to his 6 INTs over two seasons.

Jonathan Jones and Jermaine Whitehead shared the 2014 Thorpe with 6 picks a piece...in *gasp* one season.

They weren't all on the level of Rogers, Powers, or Irons, but I think these guys had QBs taking notes:

Patrick Lee

Jonathan Wilhite

Walter McFadden

*All coached by Muschamp

All pretty decent DBs.

The NFL evaluates based off of COLLEGE data. They evaluated Powers as a 3rd round talent based off of his play at AUBURN, and Irons as a 6th round talent. And its not as if Irons simply lacked NFL size or something because he was actually taller than Powers.

The "stats" mean dick-all. For all you know Irons had more "passes defended" because he was thrown at more. Theoretically if you were so good that your man never got open against you and the QB therefore never threw the ball your way, you'd have zero "passes defended".

I stand by what I said: Irons got away with so much extra-curricular activity that it made him look much better than he actually was. The NFL read him like a book, hence why he was drafted so low and couldn't stick in the NFL.

meta, totally unfair to pretend like Irons was out of the NFL due to issues with holding. He had a few issues that all converged in the NFL and sunk his draft status. His primary issue is his struggle to apply his knowledge. David isn't a dumb guy, but he didn't qualify out of high school and scored a 4 on the Wonderlic. You don't have to blow the thing out of the water, but that's tough to overlook. On top of that, he had a season-ending injury his second year and never really bounced back. He was grabby, but he was good enough to play in the NFL.

I completely agree that Powers was the better player between the two.

I would also take the guy Pat Lee became. He took longer to develop, but his last year at Auburn (2007) was as good as anything we've seen at that position since Rogers.

The NFL evaluates based off of COLLEGE data. They evaluated Powers as a 3rd round talent based off of his play at AUBURN, and Irons as a 6th round talent. And its not as if Irons simply lacked NFL size or something because he was actually taller than Powers.

The "stats" mean dick-all. For all you know Irons had more "passes defended" because he was thrown at more. Theoretically if you were so good that your man never got open against you and the QB therefore never threw the ball your way, you'd have zero "passes defended".

I stand by what I said: Irons got away with so much extra-curricular activity that it made him look much better than he actually was. The NFL read him like a book, hence why he was drafted so low and couldn't stick in the NFL.

So Terrell Davis is the best RB to ever play at Georgia?

Who's been the closest to a true, ironclad, "lock down" corner we've had since #1st rounder Carlos Rogers in 2004?

(I love the feeling of having a CB that can single-handed cover one entire side of the field, leaving us 10 guys to guard the rest! I also love a DB that will put a real hurtin' on every single opponent that comes his way...like the late, great David Langner!)

For future reference this would have been better asked in the football forum.

Archived