Weight Lifting-Workouts

TAYLORKEETON

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be better off posting this in the off topic forum.

Off topic forum? Is that the same as All Things Considered?

• 2 weeks later...

Might be better off posting this in the off topic forum.

Off topic forum? Is that the same as All Things Considered?

Yes.

I just figured he put it in the Woodshed because he planned to make fun of any girly-man who dare joined him.

• 5 months later...

I lift 12 oz. at a time. Several reps in a sitting until I need another beer. Then I start another set.

I got a 6 pack, bruh. Sometimes a 12 pack on game days.

Amateur :-\

Since I am in my early 70's my approach would likely be different from a lot of the readers but I will mention it. My early background was with competitive Olympic lifting. Later general weight lifting and now have transitioned to mostly bodyweight routines and kettlebells. Also do some deadlifts. Most of my workouts are focused on strength training rather than trying to add muscle. I have found it interesting how much you can do with just a couple of KB's and a space about 4' x 6'. Fortunate to have a very qualified level II certified KB trainer in Bham to help me. I attend his classes 2x/week.

I do some resistance training and cardio but I only have three or four days that I can train. On the days I do train I have an hour to an hour and a half to do so. In that time I do 25-30 minutes of cardio on an elliptical or treadmill and then transition to whatever resistance training that I'm going to do.

Since I am in my early 70's my approach would likely be different from a lot of the readers but I will mention it. My early background was with competitive Olympic lifting. Later general weight lifting and now have transitioned to mostly bodyweight routines and kettlebells. Also do some deadlifts. Most of my workouts are focused on strength training rather than trying to add muscle. I have found it interesting how much you can do with just a couple of KB's and a space about 4' x 6'. Fortunate to have a very qualified level II certified KB trainer in Bham to help me. I attend his classes 2x/week.

That is very impressive! If I am still doing deadlifts when I am above 70, I am doing something right.

Thanks aujeff11. Last April, at age 72 and weight 146 lbs I competed in a strength challenge and completed a 315 lb deadlift. Also did 15 dead hang, non-kipping, chin over bar pull ups. I mention this not as any kind of boast but to encourage anyone not to be afraid to strength train as they get older. No doubt we lose muscle mass as we age but one can still develop and maintain good strength levels through the years. I feel that my knowledge of strength training really improved as I learned more about kettlebell training as taught by RKC and SFG. My Level II instructor has been a tremendous help with technique and training programs. I would encourage anyone who has medical clearance to get some qualified supervision and be amazed with the strength improvements they can make. Applies equally to women.

Thanks aujeff11. Last April, at age 72 and weight 146 lbs I competed in a strength challenge and completed a 315 lb deadlift. Also did 15 dead hang, non-kipping, chin over bar pull ups. I mention this not as any kind of boast but to encourage anyone not to be afraid to strength train as they get older. No doubt we lose muscle mass as we age but one can still develop and maintain good strength levels through the years. I feel that my knowledge of strength training really improved as I learned more about kettlebell training as taught by RKC and SFG. My Level II instructor has been a tremendous help with technique and training programs. I would encourage anyone who has medical clearance to get some qualified supervision and be amazed with the strength improvements they can make. Applies equally to women.

I've always enjoyed running but I just got serious about working out about three years ago. Hearing all of this from you just reaffirms why I enjoy it. Mostly, I only use kettle bells for tabata training as a secondary workout. Kettle bells can kick your butt though!

That's awesome! I need to get back into strength training. Have been golfing (I walk and carry my bag) for the past couple of years and kind of fell out of strength training. This makes me want to get back into it!

Just got back from the gym. I try do training while lifting and then do 20-30 minutes of cardio post lifting. Spend around 45-1hr when I am at the gym. I have continually decreased rest time between sets. Every so often I will lift heavy every couple of weeks low reps just to keep the muscles guessing and rest in between. Will also throw in Super Sets etc. Have to be careful of my knees and back as they have been injured in the past while being in the military.

Just got back from the gym. I try do training while lifting and then do 20-30 minutes of cardio post lifting. Spend around 45-1hr when I am at the gym. I have continually decreased rest time between sets. Every so often I will lift heavy every couple of weeks low reps just to keep the muscles guessing and rest in between. Will also throw in Super Sets etc. Have to be careful of my knees and back as they have been injured in the past while being in the military.

Im very leery of my back because of my military days as well. I will never do deadlifts with a leaning BB row on the same day. Sounds like you have a great workout though. Muscle confusion helps bust through plateaus!

What kind of protein / pre workout / supplements do yall use?

I use ON gold standard protein- the best pound for pound!

C4 as preworkout. It's real cheap but I don't need pre for a good workout.

I take powder BCAAs and glutamine along with my protein after workouts and on rest days as well.

Any suggestions I should try?

I don't take any pre work out supplements. Since I am trying to shed some fat, I also try not to eat for at least a couple of hours post work out (I know the debate but have found it works for me). When I am trying to build muscle, I use a protein shake up to 30 minutes post workout. I use a clean protein like Dymatize 100. A professor who has done protein studies and has visited the factories recommended a few good ones, so I went with his top recommendation. I try to eat clean which has really helped with energy sustainment. If you are trying to build muscle there are a few suggestions that I would have to sit down and gather my thoughts on but since each person is different you diet would also have to be looked at. I only recently (past couple of years) got into my diet and wished I had done it long ago. The only reason I do it now is because my wife decided to change careers and went back to school to get another degree in Diatectics and is about to finish her Masters in Sports Nutrition then sit for her RD exam. Meeting some of her professors brought me some interesting insight into fueling my body. So hopefully we can be real healthy in our retirement years. I meet some folks my age and they look and act much older due to poor diet and virtually no exercise...

I don't take any pre work out supplements. Since I am trying to shed some fat, I also try not to eat for at least a couple of hours post work out (I know the debate but have found it works for me). When I am trying to build muscle, I use a protein shake up to 30 minutes post workout. I use a clean protein like Dymatize 100. A professor who has done protein studies and has visited the factories recommended a few good ones, so I went with his top recommendation. I try to eat clean which has really helped with energy sustainment. If you are trying to build muscle there are a few suggestions that I would have to sit down and gather my thoughts on but since each person is different you diet would also have to be looked at. I only recently (past couple of years) got into my diet and wished I had done it long ago. The only reason I do it now is because my wife decided to change careers and went back to school to get another degree in Diatectics and is about to finish her Masters in Sports Nutrition then sit for her RD exam. Meeting some of her professors brought me some interesting insight into fueling my body. So hopefully we can be real healthy in our retirement years. I meet some folks my age and they look and act much older due to poor diet and virtually no exercise...

Maintaining a healthy diet is definitely something I struggle with still. Sometimes, I'm too busy to cook square meals and then I either go hungary or I get a cheeseburger at McDonald's, and neither is good for my workout program. Every Sunday I grill about thirty pieces of grilled chicken and that has helped a lot as I can eat that whenever I get hungary throughout the week.

You guys ought to research intermittent fasting. That along with a good HIIT workout will help you shred fat quickly.

Heck yeah. I've been doing 5x5 & 3x10 on my core lifts. Week to week I switch it up & my results have been surreal. I benched 405 this week, & squated 550. For cardio I'll use the elliptical, flip tires, but my favorite is just to spend time on the punching bag. When I train I train for about 2 hours. I'm getting prepared for the Air Force. I leave around New Years. Trying to be in the best shape of my life. I'm 5'10 225 with a 10-12% body fat. Have to stay under 15 for my career.

Supplements...don't drink any protein powder, but have. I take in around 250 grams of protein a day, all in food. Try to get around 3-4k calories in a day. For prewoekout...I drink Hyde & arginine. It feels so weird to life with my pre. So used to it. This summer I've really gotten good results. Came home from college & can eat the way I need to.

Archived