Byron Cowart

auburn4ever

Byron Cowart's decision to sign with Auburn over Florida was close, really close.

"Like an inch, that close, "Cowart told Bright House Sunshine Network. Cowart committed to Auburn on ESPNU, only to delay the faxing of his NLI for hours. Rumors swirled, but eventually, Cowart's letter was faxed to Auburn and he officially joined the Tigers' 2015 signing class around 3 p.m. CT on Wednesday.

"I just wanted to make sure everything would go as planned, do it the right way, having that last conversation with my mom," Cowart said.

Cowart, a 5-star and nation's top strongside defensive end, credits the staff changes at Auburn and Florida as key factors in his recruitment.

"The new staff at Florida, it was too late," Cowart said. "I told them it wasn't their fault. I have a good relationship with 'T-Rob' (Travaris Robinson) and (Will) Muschamp, and they gave me a chance to visit Auburn. Once I visited, it was a wrap. That's where my heart was.

"I was being recruited by Tim Horton (Auburn running backs coach), I went to the Iron Bowl my junior year. C I see myself playing here? Yeah, but will I take an official visit? I don't know. When they got Muschamp, it was icing on the cake. I took that official, me and my mom loved it and it went from there."

More from Cowart:

On not playing with CeCe Jefferson:

"In the beginning, that's my boy. In the end, we're going to eat regardless, do what's best for you. I'm going to root for you. When we play each other we're going to talk trash, but we did what's best for one another."

On his fit within Auburn's defense:

"I fit in great. Talking to the guys on my visit, they have the same mindset. It's being relentless. We're trying to kill whoever has the ball, and they just need someone to set the edge. It's great when you have an offense putting up 40 points per game."

On the pressure of being a top-ranked recruit:

"I love the pressure. It teaches me about adversity. Regardless, I'm always going to have pressure. Being the number one recruit, it was great for the high school level, but I want to leave that behind. It's not about what you've done, it's about what you want to do."

On his plans to major in journalism/broadcasting:

"Thank God for the SEC Network. Now I can pick and choose. The SEC Network is going across everybody..They're rebuilding facilities, Auburn's an hour and 30 minutes from Atlanta, CBS and all that stuff. Knowing I have that group waiting for me to sign so they can help me intern, I'm ready to get it going."

On the hardest part of the recruiting process:

"Trying to find that home feeling, get my heart involved and not make a business decision. I wanted to know, regardless, in three years if I got hurt and could never play football again, can I see myself at that university? It worked out."

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already thinking about his future after football. 'Auburn's an hour and 30 minutes from Atlanta, CBS and all that stuff"

Smart kid!

Sounds like we won't have to worry about him doing a good job talking to the media

Talk about a man with a plan! What better way to get attention than being the number 1 overall recruit. With attention on high school recruits at an all time high, I hope he leverages his recruiting ranking well. Internships are paramount in landing the best jobs, and what better way is there to parlay his position as top recruit than taking an internship ASAP. Doing this gives this young man access to success regardless of his on field success. Mr. Cowart is in a position to get ahead in both life and football!

This was the guy I wanted the most (as well as most Auburn fans), not just what he can do on the field, but the way he carries himself. He is a special kid who I think will be the epitome of an Auburn man. Can't wait to see him suit up in the fall!

The last remark is the most telling of all. How refreshing is it to hear a kid saying that he didn't want it to be a business decision, but that he wanted to go somewhere that he would like to be even if he couldn't play football. I think we have a true Auburn man on our hands!

He is saying all the right things. But I've grown dubious of these hyped up high school kids. They always seem to end up being more of a headache than a help (i.e. Michael Dyer).

Prove it on the field. Have a good attitude towards your team mates and coaches. And stay out of trouble.

I absolutely love that he said "Trying to find that home feeling, get my heart involved and not make a business decision."

Agreed. Not that there is anything wrong with being smart and going through a business minded thought process, but its when kids make purely business decisions that they get in trouble. If you commit to the school and not the coach you are far better off in the long run. These guys who made business decisions are the ones who feel hung out when coaches leave etc. Commit to the school, not to the coach and you are going to be happy no matter what.

He is saying all the right things. But I've grown dubious of these hyped up high school kids. They always seem to end up being more of a headache than a help (i.e. Michael Dyer).

Prove it on the field. Have a good attitude towards your team mates and coaches. And stay out of trouble.

I agree.

The part where he says, "I love the pressure. It teaches me about adversity. Regardless, I'm always going to have pressure. Being the number one recruit, it was great for the high school level, but I want to leave that behind. It's not about what you've done, it's about what you want to do." is comforting, however.

I absolutely love that he said "Trying to find that home feeling, get my heart involved and not make a business decision."

Agreed. Not that there is anything wrong with being smart and going through a business minded thought process, but its when kids make purely business decisions that they get in trouble. If you commit to the school and not the coach you are far better off in the long run. These guys who made business decisions are the ones who feel hung out when coaches leave etc. Commit to the school, not to the coach and you are going to be happy no matter what.

This!

Mike Dyer proved it on the field....off the field ...well......I see no similarity between the two, Cowart seems more mature, and takes his education just as serious as his football....we all shall see how it pans out..

He is nothing like Micheal Dyer so far. They are not even in the same area code. This kid is smart and is already treating football as a job.

He is nothing like Micheal Dyer so far. They are not even in the same area code. This kid is smart and is already treating football as a job.

Yeah I don't understand why that comparison would even be made.

On Finebaum yesterday,yes i listen to it, paul was not there and i don't know which espn guy was filling in but he said he was in the auburn war room when cowart committed. He said a lot was made of muschamps reaction but he did celebrate just delayed a few seconds. Said muschamp told him he didn't sleep at all the previous night. Said when he got up he high fived gus and gus said "we just got better". Will said, "a lot better". Don't know why the video released cut that short.

On Finebaum yesterday,yes i listen to it, paul was not there and i don't know which espn guy was filling in but he said he was in the auburn war room when cowart committed. He said a lot was made of muschamps reaction but he did celebrate just delayed a few seconds. Said muschamp told him he didn't sleep at all the previous night. Said when he got up he high fived gus and gus said "we just got better". Will said, "a lot better". Don't know why the video released cut that short.

Because that makes the narrative a lot less fun. Made it less fun when we thought Muschamp was just being a stone cold badass, and it made it even less fun when folks started assuming it's because he thought there was something fishy with Cowart.

You get what you deserve when you obsess and over-analyze stupid, meaningless, out-of-context crap like that.

I agree that I cannot make a comparison between Dyer and Cowart because the book has not been written on Cowart yet.

But I can make a comparison between Dyer and all the other over hyped high school players that are very talented and then let a little success and media attention turn them useless to us by their sophomore year.

I just hope that we never see comparisons between Cowart and Dyer. I hope the media and fan worship does not ruin him. I hope he keeps his head straight and gives 4 full years (3 if he is really good and goes pro) of play that lives up to the hype.

One well worded visit with the media (while very hopeful) will not define his success or failure.

Why are we comparing Byron Cowart to Michael Dyer? That is like comparing Superman to the Penguin in Batman. BC will have a superman like career at Auburn. We are about to be treated with a defense that has not been seen in Auburn since the days of Pat Dye's defenses that included Rocker, Rolland, and the other cast of our 1988 defense. That was one of , if not the best defense I have ever seen at Auburn. That is hallowed ground, and one that will have to be earned one snap at a time.

I agree that I cannot make a comparison between Dyer and Cowart because the book has not been written on Cowart yet.

But I can make a comparison between Dyer and all the other over hyped high school players that are very talented and then let a little success and media attention turn them useless to us by their sophomore year.

I just hope that we never see comparisons between Cowart and Dyer. I hope the media and fan worship does not ruin him. I hope he keeps his head straight and gives 4 full years (3 if he is really good and goes pro) of play that lives up to the hype.

One well worded visit with the media (while very hopeful) will not define his success or failure.

What about all the hyped up kids that have lived up to their billing? Truth is you can find any scenario you want to focus on, it's your choice but to sit here and your first thought goes to dyer (who was always productive on the field btw) is just you wanting to be negative

Why are we comparing Byron Cowart to Michael Dyer? That is like comparing Superman to the Penguin in Batman.

Are you talking about the same Michael Dyer that played a MAJOR part in winning us our last national championship?

I have been just as disappointed as anyone over his off the field actions, but can't we give him a little more than that comparison? I'm also just as excited about Cowart as anyone, but he has yet to win a game, make a tackle, or even play a snap for our orange and blue.

Archived