Possible Football Rule Changes

WarTiger

Some of these I like, some I'm not sure of yet.

http://www.ncaa.org/...ogical-advances

I'm not sure I'm a fan of electronic communication with a player on the field though but it is keeping up with the advances of technology.

Rules proposals supported by the committee include:

• Allowing an eight-person officiating system to be utilized. A center judge was used experimentally in several conferences during the past two seasons. The benefits of having the extra official included getting the ball spotted more efficiently and detecting holding and hands-to-the-face penalties.
  • The ineligible downfield rule was adjusted from three yards to one yard past the line of scrimmage. To be legal, a lineman who is more than one yard past the line of scrimmage must be engaged with a defensive player when a pass is released. I don't particularly like this one.
  • A 15-yard unsportsmanlike foul will be called on players who push or pull opponents off piles – for example, following fumbles. LOVE THIS. Long overdue.
  • If a helmet comes off a defensive player in the final minute of a half, there will be a 10-second runoff of the game clock and the play clock will be set at 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock was set to 25 seconds. I think the wording is probably wrong here and it should say OPTIONAL runoff like the rest of the 10-second runoff rules
  • Officials will return to giving teams an initial sideline warning when their personnel move out of the designated team bench area.
  • Officials are to treat illegal equipment issues – such as jerseys tucked under the shoulder pads and writing on eye black – by making the player leave the field for one play. The player may remain in the game if his team takes a timeout to correct the equipment. I like this one too.
  • Allow instant replay review to see if a kicking team player blocked the receiving team before the ball goes 10 yards on onside-kick plays.
  • Teams must be provided at least 22 minutes prior to kickoff for pregame warm-ups. Teams may mutually agree to shorten this time period.
  • The calling of team timeouts by the head coach will be instant-replay reviewable at any time.
  • If the play clock runs to 25 seconds before the ball is ready for play, officials will reset the clock to 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock would be reset when it reached 20 seconds.
  • Based on research findings of the National Football League, non-standard/overbuilt facemasks will be prohibited.
  • The committee also discussed length-of-game issues in the sport, meeting with television partners in an effort to find ways to reduce dead time in the game. In the 2014 season, the average game in Football Bowl Subdivision was three hours and 19 minutes.

So shoving an official is still ok.

The last one is puzzling. I mean if they speed up the game that helps us but yet hurts the little man. I guess that's why they are still discussing it?

And so is facemasking a player to cause a fumble and then scooping and scoring.

I definitely like the personal foul for pushing or pulling players on or off the pile.

And so is facemasking a player to cause a fumble and then scooping and scoring.

Who was that? Guess I missed that one this year. I did see the Wisconsin player pick our guys nose.

The last one is puzzling. I mean if they speed up the game that helps us but yet hurts the little man. I guess that's why they are still discussing it?

Haha, this should be brought up if Saban tries to slow the game for sunstitutions. Sounds like a player safety concern if they take less breaks for commercials.

^^^ Ole Miss vs Alabama....Alabama scored on that play just before the half.

Haha, this should be brought up if Saban tries to slow the game for sunstitutions. Sounds like a player safety concern if they take less breaks for commercials.

^^^ Ole Miss vs Alabama....Alabama scored on that play just before the half.

Oh I didn't get to watch much of that game.

Having the officials watch an O lineman to make sure he only advances 1 yard on a pass play is next to impossible. Most can't watch them for 3 yards.

Has anyone watched or attended a game that was over in 3 hours and 19 minutes? It is always close to 4 hours in my experience.

Well, my suggested rule change was vetoed again.

I think that defensive penalties called on or after scoring plays, that are currently applied on kickoffs, should actually be enforced on the first down after the kickoff. It would have much more of an effect on the offending team.

They could put buzzers on each OL that goes off if he advances more than 1 yard on a play. This would hilarious no doubt. Make the buzzer play the fight song of the other school in the game. Or....there could be a device hooked to the lineman that acts as a tazzer or however it is spelled that shocks the OL when he goes past the 1 yard limit. This is a stupid rule that needs addressed with stupid ways to make the rule work.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of electronic communication with a player on the field though but it is keeping up with the advances of technology.

• Allowing an eight-person officiating system to be utilized. A center judge was used experimentally in several conferences during the past two seasons. The benefits of having the extra official included getting the ball spotted more efficiently and detecting holding and hands-to-the-face penalties.
  • The ineligible downfield rule was adjusted from three yards to one yard past the line of scrimmage. To be legal, a lineman who is more than one yard past the line of scrimmage must be engaged with a defensive player when a pass is released. I don't particularly like this one.
  • A 15-yard unsportsmanlike foul will be called on players who push or pull opponents off piles – for example, following fumbles. LOVE THIS. Long overdue.
  • If a helmet comes off a defensive player in the final minute of a half, there will be a 10-second runoff of the game clock and the play clock will be set at 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock was set to 25 seconds. I think the wording is probably wrong here and it should say OPTIONAL runoff like the rest of the 10-second runoff rules
  • Officials will return to giving teams an initial sideline warning when their personnel move out of the designated team bench area.
  • Officials are to treat illegal equipment issues – such as jerseys tucked under the shoulder pads and writing on eye black – by making the player leave the field for one play. The player may remain in the game if his team takes a timeout to correct the equipment. I like this one too.
  • Allow instant replay review to see if a kicking team player blocked the receiving team before the ball goes 10 yards on onside-kick plays.
  • Teams must be provided at least 22 minutes prior to kickoff for pregame warm-ups. Teams may mutually agree to shorten this time period.
  • The calling of team timeouts by the head coach will be instant-replay reviewable at any time.
  • If the play clock runs to 25 seconds before the ball is ready for play, officials will reset the clock to 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock would be reset when it reached 20 seconds.
  • Based on research findings of the National Football League, non-standard/overbuilt facemasks will be prohibited.
  • The committee also discussed length-of-game issues in the sport, meeting with television partners in an effort to find ways to reduce dead time in the game. In the 2014 season, the average game in Football Bowl Subdivision was three hours and 19 minutes.

WT, what do you know about the 2nd to last one: non-std/overbuilt facemasks & what the research revealed?

WT, what do you know about the 2nd to last one: non-std/overbuilt facemasks & what the research revealed?

Found this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362461/article/nfl-prohibiting-nonstandard-facemasks

0ap2000000362471.jpg National Football League

The NFL will ban the use of non-standard facemasks, such as those pictured above in a league illustration.

We've likely reached the end of the Bane-like facemasks in the NFL.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport obtained a league memo from NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent that states the NFL will prohibit the use of non-standard/overbuilt facemasks for the 2014 season.

0ap2000000362474.jpg bug.png

Wild facemasks of the NFL

Take a look at the non-traditional facemasks that have been worn throughout the years.

According to the memo, research from the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment showed that the non-standard facemasks more frequently fail safety and certification tests and aren't up to NFL safety standards.

Among the characteristics of the banned facemasks are "more bars, smaller spaces between the bars, and a generally larger coverage area," Vincent wrote in the memo.

A study conducted by the University of New Hampshire for the NFL states that the added weight of the masks negatively affects the structure of the helmet, can cause neck fatigue that could lead to a more head-down posture during contact and can provide a false sense of security during tackling.

Four players wore what would now be considered illegal facemasks in 2013, Rapoport reported. Players with medical approval for facemasks in 2013 must be re-evaluated prior to the 2014 season, and strict guidelines for future medical exemptions in regards to facemasks will be enforced, the memo stated.

While we enjoyed the diversity of the inventive facemasks, player safety is paramount when it comes to the head and neck.

I don't see the 1 yard rule holding up to scrutiny. They might scrap it after one year. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped enforcing it mid season.

My understanding is that we have always pushed the envelope with linemen downfield. Part of the read option. I don't understand this rule to begin with.

Officials are to treat illegal equipment issues – such as jerseys tucked under the shoulder pads and writing on eye black – by making the player leave the field for one play.

What is writing on eye black?

Officials are to treat illegal equipment issues – such as jerseys tucked under the shoulder pads and writing on eye black – by making the player leave the field for one play.

What is writing on eye black?

TIM-TEBOW-EYE-BLACK.jpg

If a helmet comes off a defensive player in the final minute of a half, there will be a 10-second runoff of the game clock

So if my team is winning a close game and the other team is trying hurry and score on last drive of the game with less than one minute left in game, I am going to tell my Defensive players to make their helmets loose so that it comes off, because 10 seconds will be taken off clock?

:soapbox:

The last one...

...has been a pet peeve of mine for the last several years. "...meeting with television partners.....to reduce dead time..."? How bout meet with those partners to reduce the number of commercial breaks? I know that will NEVER happen, but to say that the average game runs 3:19 is BS as pretty much all TV games are running well over 3-1/2 hours. Maybe the SHORTEST games run 3:19, but not the AVERAGE. And besides that, NO, the actual GAME runs about 2-1/2 hours...maybe. The commercial breaks make up the rest of the "length of game" and "dead time".... Hell, many of the time outs during the game are artificial timeouts for TV... ....and nobody seems to address this. It's only "let's reduce actual game time and game situations. Let's let the clock run without stopping so that in a few years the number of commercials is higher than the number of actual plays in the game". TV money makes these people blind and stupid.

Unless they get a grip on this, one day the uniforms will look like NASCAR cars (or God forbid, soccer uniforms) and the fields will cease to be green on TV but rather just billboards superimposed on the grass. ....sigh....

The linemen downfield rule change is crap. Three yards was already crap, one yard is an absolute joke. Greg Robinson frequently hit Dlinemen so hard that they ran backward 5 yards and fell over. When they fell over he was "no longer engaged".... dumb rule to begin with. If we want to have linemen leave our QB alone then let them.

I don't see the 1 yard rule holding up to scrutiny. They might scrap it after one year.

Not likely but definitely possible.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped enforcing it mid season.

That, I guarantee will NOT happen. It's a significant rule and one that's been in place for decades. It's not going to arbitrarily stop being enforced. Personally, I doubt we'll even notice this rule change that much.

The lineman downfield rule was abused by some teams. Not so much Auburn, because the play we used was a designed QB run/pass option, little different from the fake sweep bootleg run pass option of the old I-formation. The "read" to the RB was actually a fake. You can tell by watching the O-Line on these plays. They fire off and block for two steps, then they turn to form a wall to provide backside protection for the QB. They would keep blocking if it the RB run was a true option. I suppose they QB could give the ball to the RB, but he would not have his line blocking for him after two steps.

This play can still be made to work within the new rule, it is just the OL can only take one step, and the downfield pass needs to happen sooner. This is how the Seattle Seahawks had to run the play in the NFL.

I am curious about the rule when the pass is not completed past the line of scrimmage. Under the old rules, there was no such thing as a lineman downfield if a forward pass was completed to a receiver who was behind the line of scrimmage when he caught the ball. This allowed true triple options in the form of a WR bubble screen with the read option.

I would not worry. Gus is a freakin' genius. He will find a every crease in the rules and exploit it.

The lineman downfield rule was abused by some teams.

Not at all sure how you come to this conclusion. There's no way to "abuse" a rule. Everybody plays by the same rules and its only the judgement of the official (usually the umpire for this rule) as to whether an ineligible player was downfield on a forward pass.
Not so much Auburn, because the play we used was a designed QB run/pass option, little different from the fake sweep bootleg run pass option of the old I-formation. The "read" to the RB was actually a fake. You can tell by watching the O-Line on these plays. They fire off and block for two steps, then they turn to form a wall to provide backside protection for the QB. They would keep blocking if it the RB run was a true option.
They do keep blocking. You make it sound like they just abandon everything and just stand there.
I suppose they QB could give the ball to the RB, but he would not have his line blocking for him after two steps.
Not sure where you get this from either. You do realize the an ineligible downfield is only on a passing down, right? And one that actually crosses the neutral zone.
This play can still be made to work within the new rule, it is just the OL can only take one step, and the downfield pass needs to happen sooner. This is how the Seattle Seahawks had to run the play in the NFL.

I am curious about the rule when the pass is not completed past the line of scrimmage.

Why? You already answered that yourself in your next statement. If you know what constitutes and ineligible man downfield you know that if the pass is completed behind the neutral zone it doesn't apply.

Under the old rules, there was no such thing as a lineman downfield if a forward pass was completed to a receiver who was behind the line of scrimmage when he caught the ball. This allowed true triple options in the form of a WR bubble screen with the read option.
Sure there was. A lineman can go down field on run plays and passes completed behind the neutral zone. I think you mean INELIGIBLE MAN DOWNFIELD. Remember players other than lineman can be ineligible as well depending on where they are lined up in the formation.
I would not worry. Gus is a freakin' genius. He will find a every crease in the rules and exploit it.

More discussion on the 3 yard versus 1 yard rule for offensive linemen. Not a done deal yet and more opposition.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/02/22/rule-proposal-linemen-downfield-punt-pass-pork

More discussion on the 3 yard versus 1 yard rule for offensive linemen. Not a done deal yet and more opposition.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/02/22/rule-proposal-linemen-downfield-punt-pass-pork

Enforcing the rules that are already there. What a novel idea. Wonder why anyone didn't think of that?

Archived