***New Auburn Oaks Thread***

RunInRed

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take that you scum updyke and the toothless bammers who support what you did. Our oaks are back in spite of the efforts by you and the great unwashed to ruin our tradition. Auburn University is a bright shining star and it just got much brighter. WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Unfortunately, the only thing similar between these trees and the old ones is they have oak in their name....don't even look remotely similar...there are live oaks all over the place...why did we choose these? Am I the only one disappointed in the drastic difference? I'm sure someone somewhere knows how to move a live oak...sorry to rain on anyone's parade here....but live oaks are very unique whereas these look like any random tree. Poor decision IYAM

Live Oak Trees grow 24" to 30" per year when young. Since these are already 35' tall they probably won't grow quite that fast. I am sure they also had to prepare the tree's to travel so of course right now they are not very representative of what they will be. Give them a couple year to fill out and grow up and I believe you will change your opinion. 100 Year old trees are almost impossible to uproot and transport which is the type of tree you were comparing these trees to.

I am not worried these trees plus the new ones they are planting will turn this into one of the most beautiful corners on any campus in the US and in a few years when the trees have grown a little more after we beat bama the whole area will look like a winter wonderland.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully the new fence has BAMA detectors and will shock the heck out of any BAMA fan who tries to cross the fence.

we need a whipping willow next to it to beat the shyit out of an trud that gets near it

Now that is the best suggestion for an addition to Auburn I have read in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the picture. Can a local person take a couple of pictures each month and post it here so we can see the progress of the new Tree's.

Thank you for the picture. Can a local person take a couple of pictures each month and post it here so we can see the progress of the new Tree's.

You got it! I'll begin posting them here starting late this week and moving forward.

You got it! I'll begin posting them here starting late this week and moving forward.

Excellent!

You are a true Auburn Man

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

The tree along Magnolia doesn't seem to be taking to it's new environment so well ... only one tree is blooming. Lots of official tree people inspecting and looking concerned today ...

image.jpgimage.jpg

via @goldengirl360

I thought they had a back up on hand just in case? can anyone confirm this?

I also recall hearing that, but never heard anything about what happened to the 3rd tree. Did they plant it somewhere else?

I thought they had a back up on hand just in case? can anyone confirm this?

I also recall hearing that, but never heard anything about what happened to the 3rd tree. Did they plant it somewhere else?

There is one planted in Auburn in case of situations similar to this.

I'll say this, I wouldn't be incredibly worried by this right now. Some Oaks just tend to bloom earlier then others. Now 3 months from now? That's when I'd be worried.

Talked to the guys this AM ...

• Magnolia still has green cambium on the branches (a plus), but is just not pushing the buds.
  • The back-up at Facilities is leafing out well. These are not clones so leafing out at various times is common due to genetic variability.
  • The arborist who worked with the nursery and the University will be in town this week to review. Stay tuned ...

Stealthy

CCo3x4YUMAAOa6i.png

Talked to the guys this AM.

Magnolia still has green cambium on the branches ( a plus), but is just not pushing the buds.

The back-up at Facilities is leafing out well. These are not clones so leafing out at various times is common due to genetic variability.

The arborist who worked with the nursery and the unversity will be in town this week to review. Stay tuned.

Stealthy

Thanks for the update ...

Archived