***New Auburn Oaks Thread***

RunInRed

Tracking all of Saturday's activities in this thread ...

AUBURN UNIVERSITY – Nearly four years to the day that Auburn University announced the lethal poisoning of the historic Auburn Oaks, two new live oaks will begin taking root in Samford Park at Toomer's Corner.

Landscapers are scheduled to begin planting the 35-foot-tall trees at 8 a.m. on Feb. 14. The university is inviting the public to attend the event, which should finish early in the afternoon. A viewing area will be set up, and streets will be closed for safety reasons.

"We are partnering with the City of Auburn to make this a special day," said Mike Clardy, director of university communications. "Downtown merchants will be open early and three of Auburn's athletic teams will be in action that day. We are hoping people will come to the Plains and make a weekend out of it."

Beginning around 7:30 a.m., crews will close College Street from Thach Avenue to Tichenor Avenue, and Magnolia Avenue from Wright Street to the Compass Bank parking lot entrance. Roads are expected to remain closed until 2 p.m.

The new trees will arrive at Toomer's Corner via flatbed trailer between 7:30 and 8 a.m.

The planting of the oaks is the final step in Phase I of the Samford Park renovation, which included enlarging the plaza and improving the landscaping near the corner. The second phase, slated to begin after A-Day in April, will feature the planting of 30 15-foot-tall trees – grown from acorns collected from the original oaks – between Toomer's Corner and Samford Hall.

The university is asking fans not to roll the two new oak trees until fall 2016 as they establish roots and acclimate to their new environment.

The Auburn Family is invited back to campus on Feb. 14 to be a part of history as we plant two new live oaks at Toomer's Corner. Work is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. and continue through the morning. Downtown shops and restaurants will be open early for business, and Auburn's baseball, softball, and equestrian teams will all be in action during the afternoon. Make plans to visit the Plains and spend Valentine's weekend, Auburn style!

http://www.auburn.ed..._beginning.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEI3rTpw7x8

WEBCAM LINK

new_beginning_index.jpg

2/12/14 Update: Being loaded for transportation to campus:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

B9p5JDvIUAAuUia.jpg

B9p72dWIIAACACg.jpg

B9rSZhkCUAApAyr.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

B9rSZIcCAAE1ZMk.jpg

B9rMmE8IYAIFAbL.jpg

B9rMmE_IEAA7Bo8.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

B9rNIYYIgAAo_r5.jpg

B9rQVx4IIAAmrXm.jpg

B9rMNnqCUAARQa7.jpg

B9rMNnqCYAIn_kp.jpg

hsKN5Xo.jpg

83wEKlk.jpg

main_story_banner_we_love.jpg

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

updyke would make for some good fertilizer.

No! Probably enough poison coursing through those veins to do damage even after he's gone.

The university is asking fans not to roll the two new oak trees until fall 2016 as they establish roots and acclimate to their new environment.

Will these things survive a championship run in 2015?!

Will be interesting if things go as well as we think they can next season.

No! Probably enough poison coursing through those veins to do damage even after he's gone.

There wont be any rolling of them next year.They've got to get established good. Should be able to in 2016.

There wont be any rolling of them next year.They've got to get established good. Should be able to in 2016.

^ Over his head.

I was upset when I saw some of these pictures on my phone. I couldn't see that the tree limbs had been bound together for transport. It made the tree look tall and skinny instead of full and round. Thank you, RIR, for posting these so we could see what they look like. I hope they thrive at Toomer's Corner and will be there for generations to come!

Updyke should be forced to work off his huge debt to the university by tending the trees and the entire park daily -- in chains.

Just curious, where were they coming from?

Earlier this year, Facilities Management contracted with a nursery owned by MeadWestvaco in Ehrhardt, South Carolina, to purchase, root prune and prep the new oak trees, both of which are approximately 35 feet tall and have about a 30-foot spread.

http://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2014/11/auburn-university-announces-plan-to-replace-iconic-oaks-feb.-16,-2015-will-plant-30-descendant-trees-in-2016.htm

This is a major operation and cant help but wonder what the expense amounted to..not only for the 35 foot trees but the delivery and planting and all that's involved. It had to be a very expensive ordeal..

This is a major operation and cant help but wonder what the expense amounted to..not only for the 35 foot trees but the delivery and planting and all that's involved. It had to be a very expensive ordeal..

The delivery is probably in the neighborhood of 700 dollars per truck.

Just curious, where were they coming from?

Earlier this year, Facilities Management contracted with a nursery owned by MeadWestvaco in Ehrhardt, South Carolina, to purchase, root prune and prep the new oak trees, both of which are approximately 35 feet tall and have about a 30-foot spread.

http://ocm.auburn.ed...ees-in-2016.htm

RIR, Thanks for posting this. Just great is all I can say!

I was upset when I saw some of these pictures on my phone. I couldn't see that the tree limbs had been bound together for transport. It made the tree look tall and skinny instead of full and round. Thank you, RIR, for posting these so we could see what they look like. I hope they thrive at Toomer's Corner and will be there for generations to come!

I'm so glad Auburn is doing this, I am so tired of hearing other fan bases saying " it was a couple of trees, who cares". To others it may seem like a silly tradition, but it is a tradition that's a hundred years old. How would bama feel if some one removed their statue of the bear, how would Georgia feel if someone removed their arch?

I wish no ill will towards updyke,but I hop he sees he is only a speed bump for the Auburn family :Sing:

I would say Updyke should have to participate in the labor, but I don't want him anywhere near the city of Auburn. When will he be held accountable for the debt he owes. He has hardly paid anything.

Archived