Oh yeah, nice success story in Yemen.

TheBlueVue

In Sept Obama was bragging about his policy successes in Yemen and yesterday the State Dept surrendered to the rebels and evacuated the American Embassy there. Man with success stories like these who could ever question the wisdom of Obama's foreign policies :-\

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

And presumably you do? You're supposedly active duty military right? Call me crazy but, I didn't realize there was a job in the military that paid for defending left wing policies in an obscure politics forum all day long day in and day out. What a frickin waste of tax payer money! Here's an idea, why doesn't Obama just surrender the entire ME to ISIS and get it over with? That's 3 Embassies that have already been evacuated - Libya, Syria and Yemen. He seems to act with a much heavier hand against Republicans and only appears to address these barbaric savages because of public pressure.

And presumably you do? You're supposedly active duty military right? Call me crazy but, I didn't realize there was a job in the military that paid for defending left wing policies in an obscure politics forum all day long day in and day out. What a frickin waste of tax payer money! Here's an idea, why doesn't Obama just surrender the entire ME to ISIS and get it over with? That's 3 Embassies that have already been evacuated - Libya, Syria and Yemen. He seems to act with a much heavier hand against Republicans and only appears to address these barbaric savages because of public pressure.

Do you want to debate the fall of the Hadi government and the rise of the Houthi and how we continue our efforts to attack AQAP via drone strikes in their country or do you want to continue this?

Do you want to debate the fall of the Hadi government and the rise of the Houthi and how we continue our efforts to attack AQAP via drone strikes in their country or do you want to continue this?

BlueVue say, "What?"

What does any of that have to do with spewing anger, rhetoric, and insults?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/01/20/four-months-ago-obama-called-yemens-war-on-terror-a-success-now-the-yemeni-government-may-fall/

On Tuesday, Shiite insurgents overran Yemen’s presidential palace, posing a coup-style threat to current President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. Should Hadi be pushed out, it'll likely have broad consequences: Hadi had proven himself a loyal ally in the fight against al-Qaeda’s much-feared branch in Yemen, al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

Not that long ago, Yemen was being painted in a different light. Flash back to the heady days of September 2014 (four months ago), and the war on terror in Yemen was being touted as a "success" in speeches by President Obama. Talking about the threat posed by the Islamic State, Obama pointed toward Yemen and Somalia as possible examples:

This counterterrorism campaign will be waged through a steady, relentless effort to take out [the Islamic State] wherever they exist, using our air power and our support for partner forces on the ground. This strategy of taking out terrorists who threaten us, while supporting partners on the front lines, is one that we have successfully pursued in Yemen and Somalia for years.

Even back then, many who knew the situation in Yemen questioned that logic. My colleague Ishaan Tharoor argued that Yemen was an example of "U.S. mission creep, not success," and that the threat posed by AQAP was still very real (after AQAP claimed to be behind the high-profile attacks in Paris this month, that point grew stronger). "Very few people who are not part of the administration consider either of those cases a success," the Guardian's Spencer Ackerman wrote.

It's important to note that it's not the Sunni extremist AQAP that is posing the threat to Hadi right now. Instead, it's members of the Houthi rebel faction, who are believed to be backed by Shiite regional power Iran and who argue that they are oppressed by Yemen's Sunni majority. It's also unclear whether the Houthis want to actually force Hadi out, or just use their military success to pressure the government.

The fight against AQAP seems likely to take a hit, however: While the Houthis have battled against al-Qaeda forces before, wider chaos in the country could well help AQAP. The Houthis are also unlikely to be a willing partner for the United States, which they have accused of meddling in Yemen's affairs in the past.

As such, America's "successful" war on terror in Yemen, long deeply unpopular within the country, may have to be reassessed. And if the broader U.S. policy goal in Yemen is stability, it doesn't look like a success at all right now.

It appears there was the usual communication breakdown. CENTCOM is pissed because of the events that unfolded and that the State dept. didn't follow the right protocols in the abandonment of the embassy and ultimate departure at he AP.

Blue....FWIW I agree with our comments. Some here will defend this administration's ever changing policies until the bitter end, throw insults, and then whine when they get flack in return.

<p>

<br />

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 18px;">It's important to note that it's not the Sunni extremist AQAP that is posing the threat to Hadi right now. Instead, it's members of the Houthi rebel faction, who are believed to be backed by Shiite regional power Iran and who argue that they are oppressed by Yemen's Sunni majority. It's also unclear whether the Houthis want to actually force Hadi out, or just use their military success to pressure the government.</span></span></span><br />

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 18px;">The fight against AQAP seems likely to take a hit, however: While the Houthis have battled against al-Qaeda forces before, wider chaos in the country could well help AQAP. The Houthis are also unlikely to be a willing partner for the United States, which they have accused of meddling in Yemen's affairs in the past.</span></span></span><br />

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 18px;">As such, America's "successful" war on terror in Yemen, long deeply <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/when-us-drones-kill-civilians-yemens-government-tries-to-conceal-it/2012/12/24/bd4d7ac2-486d-11e2-8af9-9b50cb4605a7_story.html" rel="nofollow external" title="External link">unpopular within the country</a>, may have to be reassessed. <strong>And if the broader U.S. policy goal in <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-12-432R" rel="nofollow external" title="External link">Yemen is stability</a>, it doesn't look like a success at all right now.</strong></span></span></span><br />

Yes! Bravo Zulu DKW. Now that's proper participation in a forum. All posted are valid criticisms of the policy as it relates to dealing with Yemen. Now, let's debate. Here is what the President actually said about the success in Yemen:

"This strategy of taking out terrorists who threaten us, while supporting partners on the front lines, is one that we have successfully pursued in Yemen and Somalia for years. And it is consistent with the approach I outlined earlier this year: to use force against anyone who threatens America's core interests, but to mobilize partners wherever possible to address broader challenges to international order." http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/09/10/statement-president-isil-1

Ok so reading the above statement; have we taken out terrorist who threaten us in Yemen? Yes. I have posted a study that shows we have droned the crap out of terrorist in Yemen. Have we supported the Hadi government in order to accomplish that goal? Yes. Did we know the Houthi were on the rise in Yemen and the real possibility exists that they would overthrow the government? Yes. Could we have done more to prevent the rise of the Houthi? Absolutely but what would have suffered had we militarily squashed the Houthi?

In my opinion, we would have blown our chance at any sort of deal with Iran because the Houthi are Shia. So what's more important? Saving Yemen or getting a deal with Iran? And I don't want to see the answer "well it looks like we aint got no deal with Iran" because negotiations are not done." We'll deal with that when it happens.

It appears there was the usual communication breakdown. CENTCOM is pissed because of the events that unfolded and that the State dept. didn't follow the right protocols in the abandonment of the embassy and ultimate departure at he AP.

Please post a link. I'm calling BS.

Yes, tell us all how great things are going in Yemen & what a grand success Obama's FP was been.

Seems someone took the wrong oath, and is here to defend the President. , and not so much the country.

Do you really think they are going to get a deal with Iran? Really?

I have no idea but I am quite sure that a deal would be impossible had we crushed the Houthi. AQAP is the greater threat.

AUUSN.....call it BS if you like. You seem to be the know it all of all things so it shoud be easy to prove me wrong. Do you know what Marines are taught about destroying their weapons?

AUUSN.....call it BS if you like. You seem to be the know it all of all things so it shoud be easy to prove me wrong. Do you know what Marines are taught about destroying their weapons?

Good grief. You just stated that CENTCOM was pissed with DoS. Where did you hear that from?

Good grief. You just stated that CENTCOM was pissed with DoS. Where did you hear that from?

Hellllloooooooo? Where is the link? Oh and Marines destroy their weapons if it's an extremis embassy evacuation. This was not.

I owe you nada except for your service in which I hope you are a better Sailor in person than you come across in this forum.

So I won't tell you the Marines, while at the AP, took the firing pins out of their gun and hen smashed them. If I did that you would want three links

I owe you nada except for your service in which I hope you are a better Sailor in person than you come across in this forum.

And that folks is how you know you've won the debate. BS noted. So CENTCOM was not pissed at DoS and it's not clear if the Marines destroyed their weapons. Thanks for participating in the discussion. I am dumber for it.

Typical narcissist. You don't have facts, and can't prove me wrong so you declare victory. Your standard MO.

Where did I change anything about what I said originally? You seem to have reading comprehension problems.

This is completely off topic, but I would like to know if the regs have been updated to accomodate for the internet.

All the banned free speech and stuff for military personnel bad mouthing in regard to CoC and policies.

If you are Anon then is it cool?

Him bringing that up just made me wonder:)

Typical narcissist. You don't have facts, and can't prove me wrong so you declare victory. Your standard MO.

Dude you have to at least give me a starting point. Where did you hear these from?

This is completely off topic, but I would like to know if the regs have been updated to accomodate for the internet.

All the banned free speech and stuff for military personnel bad mouthing in regard to CoC and policies.

If you are Anon then is it cool?

Him bringing that up just made me wonder:)

Why don't you PM me?

I didn't call it BS. You did. So prove my BS wrong.

Mims raises a good question. Yuu post a lot so why not share your answer with all of us.

Archived