Baseball team

chimesAU

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the game threads and those of you who post in them. I never get to watch or listen to the games but I love AU baseball and it's nice to be able to read back through the threads.

For those of you who have been able to follow, how does the team look so far? What's the team identity? Players to watch for? Thanks in advance.

Until the 7th inning of Sunday's game it looked like we might have a carbon copy of last year's team. Decent but inconsistent pitching, inability to move runners and get hits with runners in scoring position, and a team generally playing so tight that they find a way to make physical mistakes because they seem to be pressing. Oh, and Jordan Ebert on base just about every inning (dude can flat out rake). The left side of the infield has got to improve from what we've seen in the last few years (decade?) - so far only one error in three games is a step in the right direction.

As for the identity of the team, for better or for worse, they are going to have to be a "Sunny" team. That is, good pitching (I feel confident Holliday will get that), small ball with a lot of bunts/steals/taking extra bases/sac flies, and a hard nosed "big team, little me" attitude. And no whining. Stay tuned....

I'm with PODL.....stay tuned. I like some of the new additions but it's just too early to tell. I'm glad we did some good things offensively yesterday. I like Bo Decker and Cody Nulph so far. Having JJ Shaffer play well was also a plus.

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the game threads and those of you who post in them. I never get to watch or listen to the games but I love AU baseball and it's nice to be able to read back through the threads.

For those of you who have been able to follow, how does the team look so far? What's the team identity? Players to watch for? Thanks in advance.

I can remember following various game threads in breaks between my high school baseball games 6 (dang this number keeps getting higher every year) years ago and during semesters I had evening labs at Auburn when there was no way I could listen or watch the game, so I try to start and contribute to as many baseball game threads as I can (hope to see everyone in Mobile tomorrow night!) and thank the majority of people, who spend more time contributing to these than me, for their in-depth text-based reports and thank those with more baseball experience than me for their situational insights.

As for the team, I echo the replies above me. I think we have the potential in the weekend rotation to keep us in every game, but the inexperience in the pen as to the number of high-leverage innings they've thrown at AU will be the wild card. On the offensive front, I'm looking forward to some of these new guys who are already contributing being the slump-busters who can get the offense out of a rut if necessary. I think Sunny knows his team better this year and that will hopefully cut down on some failed executions at the plate and on the base paths at key situations in games. I'm often his biggest critic at times, but I have no doubt he has what it takes to lead this team to Omaha in the future, however I haven't yet gotten optimistic that this season will see the return to ncaa postseason play with the depth of the rest of the league and the question marks we still have. But here's to hoping those question marks all become exclamation points starting with two big midweek wins this week!

Fully expecting Coach Paw's troll to come around any day now.

I guess he's waiting for one more loss. I really wish he'd stay gone though, his points were, well, pointless.

Until the 7th inning of Sunday's game it looked like we might have a carbon copy of last year's team. Decent but inconsistent pitching, inability to move runners and get hits with runners in scoring position, and a team generally playing so tight that they find a way to make physical mistakes because they seem to be pressing. Oh, and Jordan Ebert on base just about every inning (dude can flat out rake). The left side of the infield has got to improve from what we've seen in the last few years (decade?) - so far only one error in three games is a step in the right direction.

As for the identity of the team, for better or for worse, they are going to have to be a "Sunny" team. That is, good pitching (I feel confident Holliday will get that), small ball with a lot of bunts/steals/taking extra bases/sac flies, and a hard nosed "big team, little me" attitude. And no whining. Stay tuned....

Right you are my good friend!

Right you are my good friend!

I have watched and listened to several games now and seems like this might be Sunny Ball 2.0. Not as much small ball with some hitting away in what had previously been bunting situations and not as many cases of running ourselves out of innings.

No longer does it take a single, a bunt, a walk, an unsuccessful stolen base attempt and two more singles to get a run in. We've got a few nice HRs and some very sharp hits thus far and I'm encouraged about our ability to score 3 runs in an inning without needing a six hits and two errors by the opposition.

It is early yet....but this team already is more fun to watch that anything we put on the field last year....and I agree with the earlier comment....Holliday seems to be bringing the guys along and maybe his personality can offset some of Sunny's bluntness.

The change made to the ball has also helped offenses in college baseball so far ....so a newer strategy takes that into consideration. We should see a lot more offensive activity this season, so I hope the errors have been cut way down. That was a big issue last season as well.

The coaches adapted to the new ball right away...for certain it has improved MY enjoyment of the game though some of the pitchers might not agree.

As for errors....most of the errors graduated last year I think.....team fielding up a bit ..hope it stays there....and the infamous stat of "caught stealing" looks pretty poor. Amazing how a guy with AG's speed gets caught about every time.

....and the infamous stat of "caught stealing" looks pretty poor. Amazing how a guy with AG's speed gets caught about every time.

Yeah, this is a huge red flag. Grier is 0-4 in stolen base attempts. The rest of the team is 1-4.

With Grier batting .500 (which is absolutely ridiculous), you would think Golloway would bring in Rickey Henderson to teach reading pitchers and getting a jump.

As for our stolen base defense, we suck. 1 runner caught stealing out of 11. That's hard to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the season is still young, but you have to like this team for 2015. CSG is a darn good BB coach that I have a lot of respect for. I do think we make a lot of noise in the SEC West and the whole conference this season. I just hope we can make it to the SEC title game and be a thorn in the side of any team that faces us. I hope we make it to regionals and beyond. The bottom line is that I have a lot of hope for this team!

Archived