Auburn and Hype

ReidMcLain

I'm sure some of you have seen Auburn with favorable hype and expectations in many media outlets like Bleacher report and Saturday Down South. SDS recently made an article labeled 10 reasons to jump on the Auburn Bandwagon in 2015 (link: http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/10-reasons-to-get-on-the-auburn-bandwagon/)

We seem to be getting a lot of praise justified or not for a team who finished 8-5 last season. Part of me relishes in the fact that Auburn is finally getting the respect they deserve, but another part of me is wary of Auburn entering the season with Hype and high expectations, much like how 2014 started.

Auburn is also traditionally better when nobody knows about them preseason. I just like the underdog mentality. It's strange to see Auburn getting so much respect and hype two years in a row.

My worst fear is that the high preseason ranking (as high as #3 by one outlet) doesn't go to our guys heads, and let them think they can beat anyone and everyone just because they're auburn rather than actually work for it, because that's how you get beat.

I'm sure some of you have seen Auburn with favorable hype and expectations in many media outlets like Bleacher report and Saturday Down South. SDS recently made an article labeled 10 reasons to jump on the Auburn Bandwagon in 2015 (link: http://www.saturdayd...burn-bandwagon/)

We seem to be getting a lot of praise justified or not for a team who finished 8-5 last season. Part of me relishes in the fact that Auburn is finally getting the respect they deserve, but another part of me is wary of Auburn entering the season with Hype and high expectations, much like how 2014 started.

Auburn is also traditionally better when nobody knows about them preseason. I just like the underdog mentality. It's strange to see Auburn getting so much respect and hype two years in a row.

My worst fear is that the high preseason ranking (as high as #3 by one outlet) doesn't go to our guys heads, and let them think they can beat anyone and everyone just because they're auburn rather than actually work for it, because that's how you get beat.

AU was ranked top 5 preseason this same time last year. Did we lose 5 of our last 8 games because we got the big head?

I'm sure some of you have seen Auburn with favorable hype and expectations in many media outlets like Bleacher report and Saturday Down South. SDS recently made an article labeled 10 reasons to jump on the Auburn Bandwagon in 2015 (link: http://www.saturdayd...burn-bandwagon/)

AU was ranked top 5 preseason this same time last year. Did we lose 5 of our last 8 games because we got the big head?

You could make a case for Texas A&M, we thought we were the better team, and perhaps deserved to win because A&M had lost to Alabama 59-0. Once we lost to Texas A&M and especially Alabama, we felt we were better than an 8-4 team and gave only a modest effort against Wisconsin. It was clear Wisconsin was more motivated to win that game than us. We have no excuse to lose to two teams who lost games 59-0.

You could make a case for Texas A&M, we thought we were the better team, and perhaps deserved to win because A&M had lost to Alabama 59-0. Once we lost to Texas A&M and especially Alabama, we felt we were better than an 8-4 team and gave only a modest effort against Wisconsin. It was clear Wisconsin was more motivated to win that game than us. We have no excuse to lose to two teams who lost games 59-0.

Here's hoping the coaches can field a mentally stronger team this season - both on and off the field.

Here's hoping the coaches can field a mentally stronger team this season - both on and off the field.

I think the offensive was fairly mentally tough in 2014, but the defense was very hit or miss and really rode the success of our offense rather than make a name for themselves. If Muschamp can create and identity for our defense then we can beat any team on our schedule.

Good grief. Some of our fans are just never going to be happy. First they bitch and complain that nobody talks about us when it comes to contending for championships, then when a group or two actually do, they bitch about that too. This whole notion of us doing better as an underdog is just defeatist thinking, IMO. I'm definitely glad the players and coaches don't think that way. I wish for once our fans would embrace the hype (when we actually get it), expect to win, and expect to compete for championships EVERY YEAR.

Good grief. Some of our fans are just never going to be happy. First they bitch and complain that nobody talks about us when it comes to contending for championships, then when a group or two actually do, they bitch about that too. This whole notion of us doing better as an underdog is just defeatist thinking, IMO. I'm definitely glad the players and coaches don't think that way. I wish for once our fans would embrace the hype (when we actually get it), expect to win, and expect to compete for championships EVERY YEAR.

:hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah:

If we're to have the types of teams we want year in and year out...this exact type of hype and expectations are what you should be expecting. Enjoy it.

^^This^^ time to play with the big boys year in and year out

I think the offensive was fairly mentally tough in 2014, but the defense was very hit or miss and really rode the success of our offense rather than make a name for themselves. If Muschamp can create and identity for our defense then we can beat any team on our schedule.

Hi Reid....Is the picture in your post actually you or someone else? I am not trying to cute or anything like that. It is that the person in the picture looks just like my wife's nephew. You make really good posts that are intelligent and provide a lot of useful knowledge.

I'm hoping it's not the same person with both opinions...

Fanbase had a big head. Even when they were ranked at no. 5 in the polls, there were posters clamoring for them to be number one because other teams didn't look the part (neither did Auburn but excuses were made). You could say they even lucked their way into the national championship game the previous year with a couple of improbable finishes against Georgia and Alabama.

They won two road games this year, K-State, in which they gave K-State every opportunity to win outright and then some, and Ole Miss, in which they had to break a guys leg to force a fumble at the goal line to secure a victory. They were actually lucky to be 8-5. Heck, this season was a win as far as I'm concerned. They weren't that good.

Hi Reid....Is the picture in your post actually you or someone else? I am not trying to cute or anything like that. It is that the person in the picture looks just like my wife's nephew. You make really good posts that are intelligent and provide a lot of useful knowledge.

Thanks, I guess? I try to add only relevant and articulate thoughts to this forum, so I appreciated it. And Yes the Photo is me, It's the Facebook-created profile that uses your profile picture at the time and doesn't ever change for some reason, so the picture is about 2 years old. I do have a baby face, but it is what it is. I lurk on here a lot, and your posts are always best case scenario/uplifting, so It's an interesting contrast to my worst case scenario attitude. And about the post, it just rubs me the wrong way that with all the talent we had last year we ended 8-5, you know? After all that hype we ended up a 5 loss team. I hope it really just was a worse case scenario and we do end up competing for a championship this year.

I am looking forward to the day that the use of "underdog" and "under-the-radar" and "under-rated" are never used when talking about AU. I would rather be called "over-rated" than "under-rated". The expectations should be that we are the favored/better team in every game we play.I don't want to be arrogant like that western Alabama school, but just be confident.

2014 was a disappointment, no doubt. But I don't think it had anything to do with preseason expectations. Nor did 2003, IMO. Also, we did a major shift change in coaching personnel.

Enjoy the respect. It's better.

I've been following Auburn Football for several decades and I've never really embraced the hype but always preferred to let the team do their own talking on the field. I've found that I actually enjoy a season a little more when we field a team that flys under the radar and overachieves, but I wouldn't mind consistently having a higher level respect as long as it's not overhyped.

I am one of the charter members of the "Sunshine Pumpers Defending Auburn Sports." I believe that the 2014 season was one of the best of times and the worst of times. I remember back in 1984-85 seasons where we had some of the best talent in the entire country, but could not translate this into double digit wins. Some questioned Pat Dye and thought he should be fired.

When cooler heads prevailed, we went on a run of several winning seasons that produced SEC titles and a string of Iron Bowl victories. I see this on the horizon that will give us many seasons of double digit wins and a string of SEC titles and NCs along the way.

What you have to understand, WT, is that the team's success every year hinges on our distant perception of whether or not the players are cocky.

I am one of the charter members of the "Sunshine Pumpers Defending Auburn Sports." I believe that the 2014 season was one of the best of times and the worst of times. I remember back in 1984-85 seasons where we had some of the best talent in the entire country, but could not translate this into double digit wins. Some questioned Pat Dye and thought he should be fired.

When cooler heads prevailed, we went on a run of several winning seasons that produced SEC titles and a string of Iron Bowl victories. I see this on the horizon that will give us many seasons of double digit wins and a string of SEC titles and NCs along the way.

Ohio State, TCU, TAMU, and Auburn have a very interesting conflict of bright futures

If we want to always play the role of underdog, and underrated, then we also fit the role of little weak brother quite nicely.

Since we seem to be so inept at handling the pressure, reckon how the turds manage to do it so well?

What you have to understand, WT, is that the team's success every year hinges on our distant perception of whether or not the players are cocky.

huh? what kind of ridiculous idea is that? Our perception of the players has ZERO to do with the success of the program. That's just ridiculous.

huh? what kind of ridiculous idea is that? Our perception of the players has ZERO to do with the success of the program. That's just ridiculous.

Put on your yellow tinted glasses and re-read lutzcammed's post.

Oops, that should have been PatBoCamRob's post.

If Muschamp can field just a semi good defense then we will live up to being a good team. Unreal how the defense got worse last year. Hoping coaching change will result in dramatic improvement there.

Archived