Marshall to do QB drills at the Combine

Dual-Threat Rigby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think he will blow the scouts away with quickness,arm strength,and his quick decision making in his 2 minute offensive drills. I'm just afraid the film of all those batted balls will hurt his draft stock but this guy always exceeds my expectations. Man I'm gonna miss him no matter how good are future qb's are.

I'm a big Marshall fan but I just don't see his future as an NFL QB. As long as he also works out for teams as a DB then I think the QB drills can only help him, as they will help display his versatility and athleticism.

I understand the scouts get paid to do this and say his best chance to play in the league is at corner. I also understand he won't play qb in the league. With that said. He is an extremely dynamic athlete. Especially with the ball. I just feel like he could do some special things for a team on offense. Playing in the slot maybe.

I really think he will blow the scouts away with quickness,arm strength,and his quick decision making in his 2 minute offensive drills.

Just out or pure ignorance of how the combine operates...........NM is accustomed to getting his plays/script from the sideline before the ball is snapped, so how does this work in the combine?

I really think he will blow the scouts away with quickness,arm strength,and his quick decision making in his 2 minute offensive drills.

Just out or pure ignorance of how the combine operates...........NM is accustomed to getting his plays/script from the sideline before the ball is snapped, so how does this work in the combine?

I believe at the combine all the qb' s do things as most teams in the NFL do. Thats there agenda to show A players weakness so they can form there most educated opinions of each prospect on equal grounds. However a players pro day is different it's completely scripted.

Telling him at the last minute like that screwed him. And I know people probably won't agree but Gus screwed him by not letting him work with Whitfield before the season.

Telling him at the last minute like that screwed him. And I know people probably won't agree but Gus screwed him by not letting him work with Whitfield before the season.

I agree with u 100%. But some coaches, especially off coordinators and qb coaches, like to work with them on their own.

And I know people probably won't agree but Gus screwed him by not letting him work with Whitfield before the season.

Marshall is what he is. His deficiencies are not something you can teach. He's not a natural QB; there isn't a "QB guru" on the planet who can coach that into him.

Whitfield worked with Logan Thomas (a guy with Cam-level physical tools) and he still stunk at Virginia Tech.

Telling him at the last minute like that screwed him.

He's not going to play QB in the NFL. A few teams wanted to see how he'd look throwing because he has the ability to be an emergency QB on a roster on top of being a DB.

He's not an NFL QB.

And I know people probably won't agree but Gus screwed him by not letting him work with Whitfield before the season.

Marshall is what he is. His deficiencies are not something you can teach. He's not a natural QB; there isn't a "QB guru" on the planet who can coach that into him.

Whitfield worked with Logan Thomas (a guy with Cam-level physical tools) and he still stunk at Virginia Tech.

I understand what you're saying, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt him to have a professional QB coach instill some things into him.

I guess college coaches don't focus on fundamentals if the player is yielding wins, though. Look at how Urban Meyer allowed Tim Tebow to have awful mechanics throughout his career at UF.. I mean, it seemed like Gus didn't hold Cam Newton accountable for continuously throwing off of his back foot at AU either. Lol, he still does it 3-4x a game for the Panthers. Such is the push/pull of being a college coach though (win > teaching).

Telling him at the last minute like that screwed him.

He's not going to play QB in the NFL. A few teams wanted to see how he'd look throwing because he has the ability to be an emergency QB on a roster on top of being a DB.

He's not an NFL QB.

You trying to argue this is like everybody trying to argue about duke's weight. Whether he can play qb in the nfl is your opinion but that's besides the point you can't argue that playing qb then playing and training as a db and then once again going back to qb was more beneficial for him in these throwing drills than if he was preparing for a couple of months like every other qb. You can't. Yeah you can argue if he's good enough to be a nfl qb but you can't argue that his situation helped his cause

It's easy to say it couldn't ever happen without giving someone a chance to make it happen....You can say what you believe but fact is you don't know how being with a qb guru could have impacted him. They said he wasn't a college qb and he overcame that when he got some pretty good coaching.

Also pointing out to a guy who isn't the best success story does little in making a point. First isn't Thomas in the nfl? 2. Ok what about the many guys that he coached that are successful? Dean Smith and John wooden coached some bums as well did that mean other players couldn't be successful?

No disrespect for NM, but I don't see a pro team using a draft pick on him for any position. He needs too much grooming/training at DB since he hasn't played the position in years and I don't think teams use a draft pick on an "emergency QB". Arena or Canadian league may give him a paycheck and more PT than any NFL gig.

Ok what about the many guys that he coached that are successful?

He's "coached" a bunch of guys that were already good/great quarterbacks. Logan Thomas was a guy who had elite tools, but poor QB skillset, and his results on the field at Virginia Tech were the proof of that. Whitfield's "coaching" did next to nothing for him, as he pretty much sucked just as much as he did prior to training with him. Thomas is in the NFL because the NFL loves upside and they're willing to take a shot in the off-chance that the light finally turns on for him. He was drafted in the 4th round, but he was a kid who was anointed as a potential #1 overall pick after his first season for VTech.

Whitfield certainly knows a thing or two, but a lot of his guru label is hype. Big whoop, he worked with Ben Roethlisberger when he was already an established star NFL QB with a Super Bowl ring. Andrew Luck? Cam Newton? Jameis Winston? Those guys were all elite players regardless of Whitfield. Maybe he deserves some credit with Manziel, but even there you are talking about a case where people simply assume that he "created" Manziel just because Manziel was an unknown commodity beforehand. It is very possible that Manziel was Manziel regardless of Whitfield, and he was simply there to reap the credit.

Logan Thomas is a more realistic barometer for his supposed coaching ability because he presented the opportunity to show whether Whitfield could succeed where others had not. He failed.

What Whitfield has proven is that he is very good at making his talented clients look good in scripted workouts. That is why these top draft-eligible prospects go to him: because everyone wants to look good at their Pro Day. He does not possess any sort of magic ability to coach guys with obvious deficiencies (like a Nick Marshall, or a Logan Thomas). If you really want to look at it, was Winston any better this year than he was last year? Nope.

I think he was much better. To say not look at other guys but look at this one guy who still was successful just not a super star....Well if you make up a reason to have that argument (doesn't make ANY sense) I guess you would win that argument. His barometer is coaching a guy less talented....And do you really think Logan Thomas wouldn't have had better stats in a system like ours as opposed to the horrible system he was in? But coaching good players is a negative...meanwhile the greatest coaches say you can't do anything without talent.

How much of Logan Thomas being terrible was Whitfield compared to Scot Loeffler?

He was terrible before either of those two showed up. The point is; you can't teach Michael Vick to be Tom Brady. No one can.

Archived