Marshall to do QB drills at the Combine

Dual-Threat Rigby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the point is you don't know anybody's potential until you work with them

So you're under the impression that the guys we have (Malzahn, Lashlee, Bobby Bentley) didn't do enough for Marshall? What do you assume they've been doing with Marshall these past two years?

Let me just point out that Whitfield has zero Pro "coaching" experience. He was a QB intern with the San Diego Chargers for a minute, thats it. I think he also spent time as a weight-room assistant at Iowa. This guy didn't coach at 'X' school and produce 'Y' NFL quarterbacks. He's not some all-seeing-eye, if he were, every team in the NFL would be sending their QBs to him.

I'll say it again: the aspects of the game that Marshall is lacking in are things that can not be "coached". If Whitfield had the magic solution (which he doesn't), you wouldn't see the NFL flame-out rate for quarterbacks at the rate that it is. There are aspects of the game that are traits which you either possess, or you don't.

And do you really think Logan Thomas wouldn't have had better stats in a system like ours as opposed to the horrible system he was in?

If you need a system to make you look good, then that says all you need to know about your quarterbacking ability.

Our system is hardly a good barometer as the things we do offensively inherently make it extremely easy for a QB to look "good" playing in it. Chris Todd broke Auburn passing records in this offense with an arm held together by rubber bands. Whether or not Thomas would have looked better in our offense means literally nothing.

It means something when your stuck in a system that NOBODY would be successful in didn't say anything about a system making you look good. You can post forever I really don't care but you're not going to post anything to dispute that getting more work and coaching at qb will do anything besides help. You're not going to post ANYTHING that can dispute the fact that switching through positions didn't help his throwing performance at the combine.

You want to have an argument if he's a nfl qb or not which I'm not having with you because in the end it's just an opinion and yours doesn't carry anymore weight than anybody else on this board.

Seeing as how Brady has a noodle arm, can't run, and his only shining beacon of talent is his ability to fit 3 yard passes into tight windows, I'd say Vick probably wanted to be somebody better.

How many Super Bowls has Vick won? I'll wait...

IIRC, Gus was praised for not allowing Marshall to get coaching/training from Whitfield in the off-season. People said Gus "didn't want anyone messing with his QB's developement", and that Nick would eclipse his previous years performance because he would be the first QB CGM had ever coached for 2 years straight........

IIRC, Gus was praised for not allowing Marshall to get coaching/training from Whitfield in the off-season. People said Gus "didn't want anyone messing with his QB's developement", and that Nick would eclipse his previous years performance because he would be the first QB CGM had ever coached for 2 years straight........

That's the typical sunshine pumper response that was on here for sure. Because Gus isn't human and can't possibly make a wrong decision. Unless it's a playcall. After the result of the play is known, though.

It means something when your stuck in a system that NOBODY would be successful in didn't say anything about a system making you look good.

Stuck in a system that NOBODY would be successful in? Good god, did Loeffler touch your pee-pee against your consent or something? If you make claims such as the one you just made, then your opinion is already biased beyond belief. Thomas spent an offseason under Bruce Arians (an extremely well regarded NFL OC/QB evaluator) and yet despite all of Arizona's QB issues this past season they didn't even bother giving him a chance as the starter. His stats for the season were 1 for 9 passing. His preseason was just as ugly, as he was allowed to start a full game in the preseason finale; he threw 9 for 21 with an interception. So Thomas worked with "QB Guru" Whitfield and NFL Guru Arians and still wasn't good....yup, it must have been Loeffler's offensive system that was holding him back LMFAO.

You're not going to post ANYTHING that can dispute the fact that switching through positions didn't help his throwing performance at the combine.

Who gives a sh*t about his throwing performance at the Combine? Everyone, including Nick Marshall himself, knows that his NFL future is never going to be at QB. Hence why he voluntarily refused to throw at the Senior Bowl whereas Blake Sims chose to play QB and QB only. The NFL already knows that he isn't an NFL QB; his throwing performance at the Combine was never going to change that, thus getting bent out of shape over whether or not he could have maybe looked any better is a pointless exercise. Had Marshall wanted to prove he was an NFL QB, he would have made his case at the Senior Bowl which is a stage that carries 10x more value than the Combine when it comes to actually proving whether or not you can play a position. Marshall's deficiencies are noticeable in pads and a helmet against live competition; not in shorts and a t-shirt throwing against air (which is essentially all the Combine is).

Seeing as how Brady has a noodle arm, can't run, and his only shining beacon of talent is his ability to fit 3 yard passes into tight windows, I'd say Vick probably wanted to be somebody better.

I hope you're being facetious.

Which is why this argument is as stupid as you. I said he was screwed from the get go he should have just workedat corner. The original thought was him moving back and forth did him no favors but your dumb ass want to call yourself "regulating" anybody that says something you don't agree with. As far as coming at me you can just sthu. I see what you are, you don't know anything about football. You just on alot of board and have access to a pay site and you want to masquerade like you're some type of guru and you have some understanding that others don't. Then you talk though behind a keyboard as if that's something. You're a freaking joke.

As far as qb's flaming out yeah I guess you can post lots of stats because there are more unsuccessful qb's than successful...And guess what the unsuccessful ones include guys that you WOULD say are qb's.

Your argument about Thomas is stupid. Yeah the guy didn't play on a playoff team his rookie year....You constantly writing him off because of that shows your football I.Q. Or you really not that damn stupid you just wanting to argue for the sake of doing so.

And after ALL that talking you STILL can't can't dispute that switching positions didn't help his throwing at the combine which was the original thought and statement. Instead you want to talk about if Marshall is a NFL qb or not.

It means something when your stuck in a system that NOBODY would be successful in didn't say anything about a system making you look good. You can post forever I really don't care but you're not going to post anything to dispute that getting more work and coaching at qb will do anything besides help. You're not going to post ANYTHING that can dispute the fact that switching through positions didn't help his throwing performance at the combine.

You want to have an argument if he's a nfl qb or not which I'm not having with you because in the end it's just an opinion and yours doesn't carry anymore weight than anybody else on this board.

Hmmm - (not that I'm a guru)

... but dropping 4 of his last 5 games doesn't really help bear this out.

I am so thankful that Nick Marshall signed with us and became our starting QB in 2013. Had he not, there is no way we even sniff the SEC West title much less win the SEC and play in the BCSNCG. He was also by far our best option for success in 2014 because the O was designed for his particular set of skills. Unfortunately, our D totally collapsed.

I do not believe Nick to be an NFL QB and I really doubt he makes an NFL team (other than a practice squad player) at any position. I really hope he does make it in the NFL though. While I do want our players to have success in the NFL, what matters to me most is how they performed on and off of the field while at AU. Going by that criteria, Nick had a problem off of the field, but on the field, he did everything he possibly could have done.

wde

"Nick had a problem off of the field"

Malzahn must not have gotten that memo. Everything he ever said about NM was he was a great kid, who wanted to be good who did everything that was ever asked of him. I hope we have a lot more kids just like that in the future.

"Nick had a problem off of the field"

Malzahn must not have gotten that memo. Everything he ever said about NM was he was a great kid, who wanted to be good who did everything that was ever asked of him. I hope we have a lot more kids just like that in the future.

He was pulled over for having his windows tinted too dark and was eventually discovered to have weed in his possession and fined . So yes, he had a problem off of the field and Gus did get the memo by sitting him for a half against Arky (although I believe Gus should have made a bigger example out of the incident than he did, but whatever). He also had problems off of the field at uga, which is how he ended up at AU in the 1st place. FWIW, I am certain you know all of this.

wde

If he had a problem off the field at Auburn, then most of the teenage population has a problem. Overly Tinted windows? Get outta here. Had weed residue? again, most of the population.

Trying to make a huge problem out of nothing. Almost any team he gets drafted by is gonna have a far more lax description of "problem off of the field" than weed residue and overly tinted windows

If he had a problem off the field at Auburn, then most of the teenage population has a problem. Overly Tinted windows? Get outta here. Had weed residue? again, most of the population.

Trying to make a huge problem out of nothing. Almost any team he gets drafted by is gonna have a far more lax description of "problem off of the field" than weed residue and overly tinted windows

Majority of the teenage population has weed residue?

I never said the tinted windows were a problem.

wde

They use marijuana, of course.

A majority of teens use weed?

National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Trends in Prevalence of Marijuana/ Hashish for Ages 12 or Older, Ages 12 to 17, Ages 18 to 25, and Ages 26 or Older; 2013 (in percent)*

Drug Time Period Ages 12 or Older Ages 12 to 17 Ages 18 to 25 Ages 26 or Older

Marijuana/ Hashish Past Year 12.60 13.40 31.60 9.20 Past Month 7.5 7.10 19.10 5.60

http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/marijuana

Then there is this: "Teens who do smoke weed are 60% less likely to Finish High School"

http://www.newsweek.com/weed-smoking-teens-60-less-likely-finish-high-school-study-says-269647

A majority of teens use weed?

National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Trends in Prevalence of Marijuana/ Hashish for Ages 12 or Older, Ages 12 to 17, Ages 18 to 25, and Ages 26 or Older; 2013 (in percent)*

Drug Time Period Ages 12 or Older Ages 12 to 17 Ages 18 to 25 Ages 26 or Older

Marijuana/ Hashish Past Year 12.60 13.40 31.60 9.20 Past Month 7.5 7.10 19.10 5.60

http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/marijuana

Then there is this: "Teens who do smoke weed are 60% less likely to Finish High School"

http://www.newsweek.com/weed-smoking-teens-60-less-likely-finish-high-school-study-says-269647

How many people do you think get caught with the stuff to be another statistic? I'm not sure when you were in High School, but a good portion of the student body at most schools at least have tried the stuff

Archived