Auburn Future Power Five Non-Conference Opponent(s) in 2018 & 2019

WarEagleAU

I don't really think it has much to do with the overall ranking of programs. I was just saying that it could affect OOC scheduling of Home-and-Home series. If it is beyond easy driving distance from home and there's no other attraction for a weekend, it can reduce the attractiveness of an away game against that team.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ann Arbor is actually a pretty interesting university town. Population >100,000, ethnic restaurants, art galleries, independent bookstores and music stores, etc. Same for South Bend IN, Madison WI, Urbana-Champaign IL, etc. Although the attraction for playing Cal is spending time in the Bay Area, Berkeley is a sizable city in itself with lots of ethnic restaurants, indie bookstores, record stores, etc.

The home-and-home with Washington State was kind of a matchup of equals in regard to travel (not program strength). Pullman WA is out in the middle of nowhere, a campus town of 30,000-35,000, not easy to get to. I don't know whether many Auburn fans made that trek out to Pullman.

When did AU play Washington State in Washington? I thought they came to AU. Am i having a huge brain fart here?

I think a lot of it is perception. Also I think ND and Michigan consider going to play Auburn in Auburn about like Auburn considers going to a place like LA Tech. Maybe that's a bit extreme but they don't consider Auburn a worthy place to go and play. They'll give us a neutral site game but they are too good to come here. It's rather funny considering how mediocre and even pitiful UM and ND have been in the past 20 years or so. I think the fans would like it. Heck ND fans will go anywhere to watch the Irish play. The fan base actually was in favor of a matchup between AU and ND in the Music City Bowl. Granted that's not the same as going to Auburn but I still think it's more of an inflated ego thing with the administration at both schools.

I ran into quite a few Michigan grads in Chicago, there are tons. They had nothing but respect for Auburn. They didn't like the idea of having to play in the south in the heat and then us not playing them there in the cold. Notre Dame fans are a very arrogant bunch and could see them thinking Auburn was not worthy of going to.

I think a lot of it is perception. Also I think ND and Michigan consider going to play Auburn in Auburn about like Auburn considers going to a place like LA Tech. Maybe that's a bit extreme but they don't consider Auburn a worthy place to go and play. They'll give us a neutral site game but they are too good to come here. It's rather funny considering how mediocre and even pitiful UM and ND have been in the past 20 years or so. I think the fans would like it. Heck ND fans will go anywhere to watch the Irish play. The fan base actually was in favor of a matchup between AU and ND in the Music City Bowl. Granted that's not the same as going to Auburn but I still think it's more of an inflated ego thing with the administration at both schools.

I ran into quite a few Michigan grads in Chicago, there are tons. They had nothing but respect for Auburn. They didn't like the idea of having to play in the south in the heat and then us not playing them there in the cold. Notre Dame fans are a very arrogant bunch and could see them thinking Auburn was not worthy of going to.

I don't know about the fans. I was thinking more along the lines of the AD and administration. ND fans are a cocky bunch to be sure but if they were to schedule the game, their fans would travel. I bet we could set up a series with OSU sometime if they pursued it. Playing TCU or Baylor would be cool with me. They're two very good programs. Heck I wouldn't be opposed to going out to Boise and playing a home and home with them. Clemson and GT are ok with me too every once in a while. I don't know who they'll get for 2018 and 2019 but I'm sure they'll find somebody pretty good.

When did AU play Washington State in Washington? I thought they came to AU. Am i having a huge brain fart here?

Oops! You are right. Auburn played Washington State twice (2006 and 2013), but the game was in Auburn both times. Still, if it had been a home-and-home, I don't know that a lot of Auburn fans would have jumped at the opportunity to go to Pullman, WA, whereas I think a lot of Auburn fans would travel to Cal, Texas, USCw, Ohio State, Virginia, UNC, U of Washington -- locations where there are cities to make a holiday weekend of the trip.

I don't know about the fans. I was thinking more along the lines of the AD and administration. ND fans are a cocky bunch to be sure but if they were to schedule the game, their fans would travel. I bet we could set up a series with OSU sometime if they pursued it. Playing TCU or Baylor would be cool with me. They're two very good programs. Heck I wouldn't be opposed to going out to Boise and playing a home and home with them. Clemson and GT are ok with me too every once in a while. I don't know who they'll get for 2018 and 2019 but I'm sure they'll find somebody pretty good.

Oh ya. ND would definitely show up. I just could just see their fans saying why are we going there.

I think I have mentioned it before, but I think with the Big 10 the bowl tie in's play a part in the scheduling of the OOC games when it comes to the SEC.

No clue if you can still find the article or not, but I know we tried to schedule ND when Weiss was there. It didn't happen because Weiss didn't want to increase the difficulty of his schedule.

That's practically the crux of it.

Their arrogance is laughable. In the current state of college football, Auburn doesn't need to play Michigan nor ND. On the other hand, Auburn is a boost to either of these teams schedules, and would slightly restore some credibility to both if either were to manage a win.

I lived in Michigan for 4 years and never understood this line of of thinking from Big 10 fans. In that conference, it's tradition to play 3 non-conference games to start the year and then 9 conference games in a row to end it. Sorry, but we don't control the weather. Is it hot in Alabama in September? Yep, but too damn bad. You're either good enough to play us or you're not.

Fans up there loved that argument during bowl season too. "It's not fair because our teams always have to go south to play." Would you rather play a bowl game outside in December/January in Wisconsin or Florida? Not really a hard decision.

We'd have a far better chance of getting Penn State and UCLA to play a game in Jordan-Hare than we'd have Michigan or ND since both teams have said no to playing in Auburn.

I read online that Florida State is trying to schedule a series with Auburn. The first game would be played at the Gator bowl. I wonder of JJ would go along with that.

Why would we agree to playing FSU in Jacksonville? Play it in New Orleans so both schools have relatively equal distances to travel.

Glad to see FSU back on the schedule, although a home and home would have been better as opposed to a one-off neutral site game

Agreed!

Although this reported from their camp not ours

hate the idea of playing that thug school florida state. Hate the school, the fans and every team they've ever fielded in every sport. Just hate this completely and hope it doesn't happen.

Interesting -- that makes a lot of sense.

That kinda makes me wonder what sort of hurdle that would be to AU moving up into the top tier of the sport. Seems like most metrics have us placed around 15th, give or take a few spots, in the 'greatest programs' debate. I wonder if there are any teams ahead of us that face similar geographic challenges. I'd bet not many, as the ease in which other top programs can visit may actually be a pretty crucial part of sealing that elite status. UA is really the only one I can think of that may be an exception, and they are, what, an hour from Birmingham?

It depends on who your top 10 list consist of. South Bend is about the same time driving distance to Chicago as Auburn is to Atlanta. Norman, Oklahoma is just south of Oklahoma City but it's not like that is a prefered travel destination for many vacationers. Notre Dame has not had a problem playing there in the past though. Not much around Ann Arbor, Michigan either. Unless you want to take the kids to Detroit to look at all the plight..."Roll em up!". You already mentioned nothing around Tuscaloosa. State College, PA is as about as remote as Starkville is. Most teams that play Auburn either fly into Montgomery or Columbus, both of which are about 40 minute drives. That can't be much more of a challenge than any other school I would imagine. Really Texas and USC would be the only consensus "top 10" school that I would consider and easy place to travel for teams and have some extra entertainment for the traveling fan base. But I recall having friends telling me it took forever to get from LAX to their hotel when we played in LA due to the insane traffic.

^^^^This. I also wonder whether any of you wanting to go play at Oregon have ever traveled to Eugene.

hate the idea of playing that thug school florida state. Hate the school, the fans and every team they've ever fielded in every sport. Just hate this completely and hope it doesn't happen.

Couldn't agree more!!!! If we never played F$U and their thugs again ever in any sport, I'd be happy.

Why would we agree to playing FSU in Jacksonville? Play it in New Orleans so both schools have relatively equal distances to travel.

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. We don't get nearly as many players from Louisiana as we do from Florida. It's the same reason why playing neutral site games in Atlanta and Dallas make sense. Go play where the players are while gaining national exposure from the marquee matchup.

Archived