2016 5* DT Derrick Brown (AU Signee 2/3/16)

RunInRed

To be fair, Kirby MAY still get the TOP:

QB

WR

Athlete

TE

They will get the top WR if he doesn't make the grades to get into Stanford.

Kirby is doing just fine.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QB

WR

Athlete

TE

Who cares what the uat east coach is doing? CRG>kermit, IMO

QB

WR

Athlete

TE

We should since uga is our second biggest rival. uga has owned us for the past 10 years. That has to change. I, for one, was very happy when uga fired Mark Richt because I don't think Smart will beat us down like Richt did.

wde

I think Kirby will find the recruiting a little more difficult at uga than bama.

I don't think so. There are way, way more D-1 prospects in Georgia than are in Alabama. 15 to 18 a year are going to simply fall in his lap. That's quite a head start.

QB

WR

Athlete

TE

We should since uga is our second biggest rival. uga has owned us for the past 10 years. That has to change. I, for one, was very happy when uga fired Mark Richt because I don't think Smart will beat us down like Richt did.

wde

This. The UGA series has become an embarrassment for us. We have only beaten them when we have elite teams recently. Richt had our number. I am hoping we will give Kirby a tougher time.

Kirby got worked by CRG.

WDE, while Kirby is obviously a good coach and recruiter, do you think some of his recruiting success was due to Saban being his head coach along with the "conditions " at ua. Meaning, the recruits were committing more to Saban than Kirby. And while all schools have their "perks" it seems ua is a little more open and blatant with their "perks" than most schools.

Kirby got worked by CRG.

WDE, while Kirby is obviously a good coach and recruiter, do you think some of his recruiting success was due to Saban being his head coach along with the "conditions " at ua. Meaning, the recruits were committing more to Saban than Kirby. And while all schools have their "perks" it seems ua is a little more open and blatant with their "perks" than most schools.

Absolutely. I don't recall many recruits saying they wanted to play for Coach Smart. It was always Saban. Compare that to AU. They want to play for Coach Craig, Coach Muschamp, etc. Not too many mentions of Gus & Rhett.

QB

WR

Athlete

TE

wde

This. The UGA series has become an embarrassment for us. We have only beaten them when we have elite teams recently. Richt had our number. I am hoping we will give Kirby a tougher time.

THIS!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!. At least the elites came back 2 AU with hardware. :)

Kirby got worked by CRG.

Absolutely. I don't recall many recruits saying they wanted to play for Coach Smart. It was always Saban. Compare that to AU. They want to play for Coach Craig, Coach Muschamp, etc. Not too many mentions of Gus & Rhett.

You may want to double check some of the quotes from recruits several have mentioned Gus, and just as important several mentioned Auburn which IMO is most important...I for one want kids to commit to the school above all else...

I think Kirby will find the recruiting a little more difficult at uga than bama.

I don't think so. There are way, way more D-1 prospects in Georgia than are in Alabama. 15 to 18 a year are going to simply fall in his lap. That's quite a head start.

Agreed, give Kirby a full year to recruit there instead of him focusing on trying to win another national title and this will be a much tougher battle.

That said, I want to beat Kirby and UGA this year like a drum! Let's put as many as we can up on them.*

*possibly about 6 field goals. But let's beat them!

Kirby got worked by CRG.

Brown did mention Gus as a reason to come to AU though.

Kirby got worked by CRG.

You're right. But my point is that the bama recruits all want to play for Saban, not Smart or the other assistant coaches. Same when bear was at bama. Kids grew up wanting to play for the bear.

Kirby got worked by CRG.

You're right. But my point is that the bama recruits all want to play for Saban, not Smart or the other assistant coaches. Same when bear was at bama. Kids grew up wanting to play for the bear.

I agree with that.

While at UAT Smart only had to worry about LB's and the overall defense, along with recruiting. Now, he has to oversee everything. Meeting with the media, dealing with players who gets into trouble, games lost that should have been won. Not having your team ready to play, PTB breathing down your neck. Smart is a good coach. Now, we'll find out if he is a good head coach.

Kirby got worked by CRG.

This is a broad brush - Saban hires great recruiters for a reason. It's the state school even Shula had recruiting success there. Andre Smith, McClain, etc. Just like at LSU if the team is marginally good the recruiting is great. With the recent championship success it's even more effective to recruit there. The thing Saban has is a great product to sell to recruits, winning, NFL chances, good coaching, and playing against the best. Rumors has it there are other fringe benefits such as free suits, schollys for girlfriends, jobs for parents and custom Dodge Chargers...oh and fishing trips on the Gulf. How can a kid say no to that..then there is the REC just in case a highly sought one is on the fence...they get the deal closed for Saban.

Kirby got worked by CRG.

This is a broad brush - Saban hires great recruiters for a reason. It's the state school even Shula had recruiting success there. Andre Smith, McClain, etc. Just like at LSU if the team is marginally good the recruiting is great. With the recent championship success it's even more effective to recruit there. The thing Saban has is a great product to sell to recruits, winning, NFL chances, good coaching, and playing against the best. Rumors has it there are other fringe benefits such as free suits, schollys for girlfriends, jobs for parents and custom Dodge Chargers...oh and fishing trips on the Gulf. How can a kid say no to that..then there is the REC just in case a highly sought one is on the fence...they get the deal closed for Saban.

Can't disagree. But I just read an article on al.com about one of the best wide receivers/playmakers of the 2017 class. Lives in McCalla, Alabama and goes to McAdory High School (home of Bo Jackson). He mentions a few assistant coaches by name (none from AU or UA), but says the highlight of his recruiting is to be offered by Nick Saban, who he called "the greatest coach of all time". He never mentions the assistant at bama. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and it deja vu (not sure about the spelling) all over again. If we can't get a serious look from a kid who goes to Bo's alma mater it's going to be awfully tough to recruit in this state. (And I know about all the "perks" at bama as you said.)

Kirby got worked by CRG.

The instate kids want to play for uat but most of the out of state kids want to play for Nick or insert coach here. Been this way for a 50 years.

Kirbs will struggle w/o the REC doing his dirty work. He will still have good classes, just like Richt.

We will still get ours, as long as we have Garner/Craig.

You can't let them go anywhere. Having 2 of the Top 5 recruiters, and them being Auburn Men, is something you can't, and won't replace.

Kirbs will struggle w/o the REC doing his dirty work. He will still have good classes, just like Richt.

You can't let them go anywhere. Having 2 of the Top 5 recruiters, and them being Auburn Men, is something you can't, and won't replace.

Hopefully we can add a 3rd with McGriff

3rd? All three are #1 elite recruiters.

Yes he is as well...but adding another Auburn coach to the top recruiters list would be impressive.

Yes he is as well...but adding another Auburn coach to the top recruiters list would be impressive.

I want both top recruiters and good on the field coaches. I hope McGriff is a good on the field coach because we need it badly. We have had coaches that are good recruiters since 2009.

wde

I want both top recruiters and good on the field coaches. I hope McGriff is a good on the field coach because we need it badly. We have had coaches that are good recruiters since 2009.

wde

He's got to be. The NFL doesn't give a care about how well you can recruit. They only care about coaching ability.

Archived