Projected starting 5 next year?

War Eagle77

What is your projection for next years starting five?

Mine is tahj - Kareem canty - jordon granger - cinmeon bowers - Mathew atewe or trayvon reed

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scary.

Indeed...anyone on the team that can score more than 10 points in a game?

I keep hearing about what a great recruiter BP is....but I'm not sure where that comes from....especially in today's "market". Most kids only know him from his days at ESPN, not his coaching days....and a few seasons like the one we are experiencing now is not going to contribute to a reputation as a top national coach or some kind of coaching genius.

We talk about the talent shortage....but heck, give any pretty good coach a bunch of talent and he / she should be able to win. The key, IMO is being able to win with what you have...good, bad or mediocre.

BP needs to show he can win (or play competitively) with what ever talent he has....and it's pointless IMO for AU people to keep looking for that day sometime in the future when Bruce gets "his players" or when he will be bringing 5* players to the campus. We have to win first with the players that we have , or can get....and we need to stop the "wait until next year" stuff.

Just sayin' that BP has a pretty narrow window of opportunity to build this program....another year or two like this and the 'bloom will be off the rose' as far as the world at large will see it. In basketball, AU has no natural recruiting advantages, no established mystique like UCLA or Kentucky or Kansas...or Duke that automaticallly gets the attention of good prospects. Losing 5 in a row on your home court and getting beat by 23 points at home against a team like LSU is not progress.....JMO.

I keep hearing about what a great recruiter BP is....but I'm not sure where that comes from....especially in today's "market". Most kids only know him from his days at ESPN, not his coaching days....and a few seasons like the one we are experiencing now is not going to contribute to a reputation as a top national coach or some kind of coaching genius.

We talk about the talent shortage....but heck, give any pretty good coach a bunch of talent and he / she should be able to win. The key, IMO is being able to win with what you have...good, bad or mediocre.

BP needs to show he can win (or play competitively) with what ever talent he has....and it's pointless IMO for AU people to keep looking for that day sometime in the future when Bruce gets "his players" or when he will be bringing 5* players to the campus. We have to win first with the players that we have , or can get....and we need to stop the "wait until next year" stuff.

Just sayin' that BP has a pretty narrow window of opportunity to build this program....another year or two like this and the 'bloom will be off the rose' as far as the world at large will see it. In basketball, AU has no natural recruiting advantages, no established mystique like UCLA or Kentucky or Kansas...or Duke that automaticallly gets the attention of good prospects. Losing 5 in a row on your home court and getting beat by 23 points at home against a team like LSU is not progress.....JMO.

There are two ways to build a program:

One recruiting 4* and 5* talent along with coaching and you win quickly

Two recruit solid talent 3* & 4* and let them grow together with a coach and his system to become a team. This takes time and that is what I see happening.

BP's first real Class arrives next year(Exception Reed arrived early this year). 3* & 4* Talent.

We will be bigger next year and have more depth next year, This year he ran a semi-pressing D as he did not have enough depth to really press full court. Next year we will be able to run a pressing defense for long periods of time that will help on D side. More size will help on rebounding we will not be as good at shooting guard but will be better at PG.

We will be better next year but record will be similar The class after that should keep up the depth and returning players will know the system we will then be a mid-tier SEC team. The year after that is when his first recruiting class will have 3 years in the system and his second class will have 2 years. His system will be in place. Add a 5* every now and then and you can go a long way.

Coach Pearl has AU's recruiting class ranked at #11 in the country. Perhaps that is why you keep hearing he is a great recruiter?

Coach Pearl has AU's recruiting class ranked at #11 in the country. Perhaps that is why you keep hearing he is a great recruiter?

I see that....guess we should see who shows up and who plays. Just two players out of the rivals top 150 ...maybe that is not bad but I think the ability to bring enough talent to AU is an open question and looking at the list of schools and commits, hard to see that AU is any better off than schools ranked 14 places lower... :dunno: ... https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1703221

JMO but we are losing more than we will be adding for next year....but guess we won't know for another 7 or 8 months for sure.

I see that....guess we should see who shows up and who plays. Just two players out of the rivals top 150 ...maybe that is not bad but I think the ability to bring enough talent to AU is an open question and looking at the list of schools and commits, hard to see that AU is any better off than schools ranked 14 places lower... :dunno:/> ... https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1703221

JMO but we are losing more than we will be adding for next year....but guess we won't know for another 7 or 8 months for sure.

I see you're the half empty type of guy huh?

I see that....guess we should see who shows up and who plays. Just two players out of the rivals top 150 ...maybe that is not bad but I think the ability to bring enough talent to AU is an open question and looking at the list of schools and commits, hard to see that AU is any better off than schools ranked 14 places lower... :dunno:/> ... https://basketballre...asp?CID=1703221

I see you're the half empty type of guy huh?

Yeah..probably in this case. I was pretty optimistic about the season that is just ending and IMO the team is no better than it was 4 months ago...maybe worse in some ways. BP is a heckuva showman and salesman....now I'm looking for the coaching results.

And the proposed starting fives noted above by several folks are not encouraging either.

I've reached the "gotta show me stage" now....and would be very happy to be wrong about how I see the future.

Rarely do I disagree with your views but I do this time. Totally and completely disagree.

Rarely do I disagree with your views but I do this time. Totally and completely disagree.

I understand....and I could be wrong...just my assessment of where we are now. In another year we will have a better handle on the progress being made.

PS....I usually have given the coaches the benefit of the doubt...but has gotten harder to do over the years.

Being competitive with the top teams in the conference takes talent. AU has a very small amount of talent on this team. When or who was the last real big man that Auburn had that was all SEC? We need big men that are talented and athletic

Two players out of the top 150 seems to me a great leap forward from anything we have recruited in the past 4 years. And this was all done with him locked away in a room with no personal contact allowed until the last minute to seal deals. All that Barbee seemed to be able to recruit (and we never seemed to keep any one of his recruits for more than a season or 2), were castoffs from other programs or some longshot projects that hardly ever worked out for him. I believe that when Coach BP can hit the road personally and has just 1 more recruiting cycle under his belt we will become competitive in the conference with most everyone except maybe the likes of Florida and Kentucky. This is a start and far outweighs anything we have seen in many years. JMHO

I see that....guess we should see who shows up and who plays. Just two players out of the rivals top 150 ...maybe that is not bad but I think the ability to bring enough talent to AU is an open question and looking at the list of schools and commits, hard to see that AU is any better off than schools ranked 14 places lower... :dunno: ... https://basketballre...asp?CID=1703221

Dunans might as well be a top 150 player as he would start immediately at a lot of SEC schools. New Williams is vastly underrated due to his injury his junior year but yet he is still a 4*. You probably have never heard Bruce speak in public if you are questioning his recruiting abilities. When is the last time AU got a top 15 class in basketball?

Also, our two worst positions this year have been the 1 and 4. We are getting immediate help with Canty and Spencer (If he signs), but if he does not sign with us, we will still be able to have Bowers at the 4 with Atewe/Reed out there at the same time. This will make up for the loss of KT and Mason and then some IMO. Add Purifoy into the mix as well and we will be looking much better.

Give Pearl a few years, he will get us there.

It is going to take time. Our BB program has been down for years.

And I disagree, though or record does not reflect it, this team played a lot better than last year. We are simply lacking the talent we need to go up to mid level. Hoping we can get there next year.

me too. Calipari, K. Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, John wooden .... None of them could have done much if at all better with this roster. I have no idea about next year either. Our best two players, by a long shot are gone. So I am not too optimistic. I do like pearl but he has a challenge.

Picking a starting five for next season is impossible at this time. Who and how many will transfer out? How many signees will qualify or fail to qualify? Will our point guard's shoulders return to 100%?

No way to answer these questions until next fall.

Wouldn't surprise me if our #5 for next year is playing at a different power 5 team right now.

That could be....but hard to "build" a program with guys playing one year and gone....but Mikey's got the best answer IMO, we don't even know what the squad will look like 6 months from now, no matter what commitments we have at the moment.

Archived