Women defeat Vanderbilt

WarTiger

The women won on the road at Vanderbilt last night 70-58. Story below.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Freshman Jazmine Jones scored a career-high 21 points to lead four Auburn players in double-figures as the Tigers won their second-straight game with a 70-58 victory at Vanderbilt Thursday night.

The Tigers have now won for the second-straight time in Vanderbilt's Memorial Gym after having suffered 21 straight losses at the hands of the Commodores until last year's contest in Nashville. It also marked Auburn's highest-scoring output in SEC play this year.

"We haven't scored 70 points in I don't know how long," Auburn head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. "I thought it was an all-around performance. Jaz played a great game. Katie (Frerking) got in there and rebounded, Brandy (Montgomery) attacked the basket, Tra'Cee (Tanner) played well in the second half ... just an all-around team effort. They played with great energy. You could just see it in their eyes. They had the look when the game first started."

Jones' 21 points on 10-of-11 shooting easily surpassed her previous high of 12, and her nine rebounds nearly doubled her previous-best mark of four. She also had three steals to tie for the team lead.

Brandy Montgomery added 16 points, and Katie Frerking scored 13 points with seven rebounds. Tra'Cee Tanner had 10 points as well.

Auburn was able to convert Vanderbilt turnovers - 21 of them - into 26 points, the highest points off turnovers total in SEC play this year. The Tigers also took care of the ball, committing just 11 turnovers and only two in the second half.

Vanderbilt hung around for most of the second half , getting as close as one point at the 14:45 mark at 39-38. But from the 9:53 mark, when Auburn led 48-45, the Tigers held Vandy to just three points over the next six minutes, building a 10-point lead.

The Commodores cut the lead to five on back-to-back 3-pointers with just over 2:00 to play, but a jumper from Neydja Petithomme was a dagger to give the Tigers a 64-56 lead with 1:43 left. Frerking made four free throws down the stretch to ice it.

Auburn's defense asserted itself in the early-going, forcing a shot-clock violation and a 10-second violation in Vanderbilt's first three possessions, taking an early 4-0 lead. But Vanderbilt would get hot, hitting its next seven shots to eventually take an 11-point lead at 20-9.

From that point, though, Auburn finished the half on a 21-6 run, including a 14-2 run over the final four minutes, to lead 30-26 at halftime. Jazmine Jones took over in the final 90 seconds, scoring the last six points of the half while picking up a pair of steals in the process. In all, she had 10 points in the first half, all coming in the last 4:08 of the period.

Auburn wraps up the 2014-15 regular season at 2 p.m. Sunday as archrival Alabama visits Auburn Arena. Senior Day festivities are set to begin at 1:45 p.m. as senior guard Kiani Parker and manager Breanna Hollaway will be honored prior to the game.

Nice little turn around at the end of the season.

Will it be enough to save Flo? ...or maybe her job was never in jeopardy?

Nice little turn around at the end of the season.

Will it be enough to save Flo? ...or maybe her job was never in jeopardy?

We are tied for last in the SEC at 2-13 and 11-17 overall. I hope that's not what qualifies as a job saving performance. At least we didn't go winless in the SEC

I'd be a little surprised if her job is in any real jeopardy. Just my uninformed opinion.

Me too....no griping about her performance outside of this board (basically me and a few others) ....and with the men's team showing promise, I expect the # of people that would hold Flo's feet to the fire is pretty small. BUT, she needs a really good showing with new recruits IMO to deflect any questions. JMO.....can't have this kind of performance for very long.

Slight correction, the score was 70-58. It's good to beat Vandy, they've been a serious thorn in our side for years now. I think this win brings us to 2-18 against them in the last 20 games.

Freshmen did most of the damage for us in this one. One of the Jones twins was 10-11 from the field. Almost everything she threw at the basket went in.

I think Coach Flo is a goner unless we win the remaining regular season game against bammer (that's a probable win) and take a game or two in the tournament.

I guess she could be gone....maybe with the frosh looking better another year might be in order. Aside for the losing season, another serious concern is that attendance is back in the range of 1500-2000...and even the Tennessee game was less than 3000. I suspect many of those fans are getting in free or nearly free.

Cost of football is going up and IMO, some of the non-profitable sports need to start doing a better job of carrying their own weight. Gymnastics had a full house the other night and is showing that a successful program can support itself.

Archived