A little off topic...

LKEEL75

I just wanted to give props to the AU Family & CGM. My boss's son went on a scholastic recruiting trip this past weekend. AU had an elite scholars banquet and had kids from around the country there trying to recruit them to AU for the upcoming year. While the banquets, tours and meeting the deans would be great; AU decided that wouldn't be quite enough. So they brought in CGM and his wife and gave the kids a private tour of the locker rooms and the field. Not only did they bring in CGM but each kid got to sit with him and talk 1 on 1 for some time. Word is that CGM was very humble and a great ambassador. Talked about how smart these kids were and how that when he was going to college the only ACT requirement was that you took it. There was no "minimum score" required. CGM also talked about the AU family and how everyone is there for everyone. It is truly a family.

On a funny note: these were complete academic kids and some did not know anything about football; in fact one kid (from out of state) thought what an honor it was for Nick Saban to come in and talk to them.

When I hear of Gus doing things like this (and speaking to the MBB team as well), it really makes me wonder if he wants to go to the NFL. In college, he can make a difference in the young men he coaches and in lives of other young men and women he speaks to. He won't be able to do that in the NFL. I may be wrong, but I think he really enjoys that aspect of the job and that may keep him here a while... At least I hope so!!

When I hear of Gus doing things like this (and speaking to the MBB team as well), it really makes me wonder if he wants to go to the NFL. In college, he can make a difference in the young men he coaches and in lives of other young men and women he speaks to. He won't be able to do that in the NFL. I may be wrong, but I think he really enjoys that aspect of the job and that may keep him here a while... At least I hope so!!

Why in the world would you think Gus wants to go to the NFL? Have I missed something?

Why in the world would you think Gus wants to go to the NFL? Have I missed something?

I can understand wanting to know if you could coach at the highest level and be successful. Wanting to know if you could win a Super Bowl. However, I do agree that CGM seems to want to stay in college ball and I can't think of a better place for him to retire in many years to come. I just hope he doesn't get complacent as others did in the past once they had achieved a certain level of success. I don't see that happening because of CGM attitude toward football and his job, but I would not have pegged others for doing it either many years ago.

Archived