NCAA says it is not responsibfe for academic fraud '

AU64

at member schools. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/03/ncaa-north-carolina-academic-fraud_n_6792374.html

Gotta say that I agree with this. Who's minding the store at UNC-Chapel Hill....and why has nobody in the state legislature roasted some Trustees and school officials?

If the NCAA is not responsible for academic fraud at the member-institutions, what if the academic fraud helps a student-athlete maintain his or her eligibilty?

Not everything can be fixed by some new law. The NCAA policing such a situation as discussed in the article would be absolutely impossible. The integrity of a school's counselors and professors and the goals of the student himself have to be the difference here.

Maybe they were led to take courses they could actually pass? Not everyone can succeed in a rigorous academic curriculum. I knew any number of classmates at Auburn that changed majors when the calculus and organic chemistry courses kicked in.

Not everything can be fixed by some new law. The NCAA policing such a situation as discussed in the article would be absolutely impossible. The integrity of a school's counselors and professors and the goals of the student himself have to be the difference here.

Maybe they were led to take courses they could actually pass? Not everyone can succeed in a rigorous academic curriculum. I knew any number of classmates at Auburn that changed majors when the calculus and organic chemistry courses kicked in.

So true.....so where can I sign up on your list? ....I knew I was over my head when I struggled though dynamics and differential equations early in my Junior year.....knew it was only going to get worse.

Nice thing about AU is that there is something for everyone....so if at first you don't succeed, there is a huge catalog of courses and majors that might suit you better.

Quote: "I knew I was over my head when I struggled though dynamics and differential equations...."

You made it through differential equations? Congratulations! I was able to dodge that one and still qualify to graduate in my chosen curriculum, so I dodged it. Maybe I would have passed it with a "D", but also, maybe not.

The NCAA jumped all over Penn State with penalties when their administrators covered up a felony crime, but now the NCAA is backing off that too.

It's a shame that Bama did away with New College. I mean where else can you get a Early Educational Fitness Finance degree (and yes I'm being serious and no it's not mine).

Quote: "I knew I was over my head when I struggled though dynamics and differential equations...."

You made it through differential equations? Congratulations! I was able to dodge that one and still qualify to graduate in my chosen curriculum, so I dodged it. Maybe I would have passed it with a "D", but also, maybe not.

well...that was a long time ago...it's possible I got out of Diff Eq during " drop and add" but stuck with the engineering courses and a basic electrical circuits course....then it was off to Business Admin. which served me well.

If the NCAA is not responsible for academic fraud at the member-institutions, what if the academic fraud helps a student-athlete maintain his or her eligibilty?

Exactly.

Exactly.

Conferences have he power to discipline schools in their conferences too....if they are inclined to do so.

How far back did the academic fraud occur, the NCAA does not want this fight because bringing down all those banners in the dean dome would hurt one of their top tier franchises

and cost the administrators/factory owners money.

More likely they will place Grand Canyon University on double secret probation

Little doc

How far back did the academic fraud occur, the NCAA does not want this fight because bringing down all those banners in the dean dome would hurt one of their top tier franchises

and cost the administrators/factory owners money.

More likely they will place Grand Canyon University on double secret probation

Little doc

Possibly...but check Syracuse now...only took 8 years and only because Syracuse was basically saying "I dare you".

The NCAA is quasi-political bureaucracy and those type organizations mostly are interested in perpetuating themselves....which mostly means doing nothing controversial. Duke is an NCAA member and you can't tell me they approve of UNC-CH and their academic fraud...but they can't or won't speak up about it....'cause next time something "illegal" could involve them. For the most part, the NCAA is a conspiracy of silence.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/02/ncaa-president-emmert-previous-cases-uconn-lsu/2047607/

http://legalschnauzer.blogspot.com/2013/04/new-report-reveals-that-alabama-coach.html

Academic Fraud, Emmert, and even Saban, this story has legs going back years.

• At LSU, an academic fraud scandal emerged in the football program under then-coach Nick Saban in 2001-02. Emmert oversaw an investigation into the allegations made by a university instructor that eventually acknowledged five minor and isolated violations and declared most of the claims "unfounded."

Emmert even met on LSU's behalf with the NCAA, which accepted LSU's findings. But after Emmert decided to leave LSU in 2004, a witness testified in a deposition that the instructor was telling the truth and that the problems were far more systemic than the school admitted, even extending to grades being changed for football players, according to court records.

The culture was "appalling" and "like Romper Room," the employee said in 2004 testimony.

Archived