New Scoreboard - Construction Progress

RunInRed

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they done putting speakers into the box? Figured with that much space, they'd put more speakers in.

From al.com:

While fans are clamoring to see what watching a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium will be like with Auburn's new massive video scoreboard, the program is still considering what to place on the back of what will be the biggest video board in college sports.

Two large openings, one on each side, on the back of the 190x57 foot structure will feature "murals" of former players, much like those of Bo Jackson, Cam Newton, Pat Sullivan, Zeke Smith, Carlos Rogers and Nick Fairley that were on the South end of the stadium previously, during the upcoming season but could be replaced by LED boards as soon as next year.

"In the future what we may end up doing is we may end up putting LED video boards back there so it's not static signage," Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs said. "So that we can do things like 'Graduation today at a certain time' or 'congratulations to professor Smith for winning the Leischuck award,' things like that because it's such a big board and massive space. I didn't want it just to be solid, I want it to be something that we can actually utilize."

Jacobs said until athletics officials will decide on a plan, which could include LED boards "as soon as a year from now," after seeing how the temporary murals look like and how far they can be seen.

LED boards on the outside of the stadium won't be used to show live events from inside the stadium though, but could show highlights from past games or be used for promotional purposes.

"We will in all likelihood, if we do go back with LED boards it will not be to show a game, anything live," Jacobs said. "It could be (before a) Saturday night game we show last week's game up there. The challenge is the PA system, how many people can see it.

"We're going to do like we always do; we're going to be open-minded and try to be proactive and do what's best."

Auburn lit up the new $13.9 million video scoreboard on Friday and is finishing work on the new audio system and exterior signage.

6A7XBVdN_bigger.jpegAuburnPix@AuburnPix 34 minutes ago

IT'S ON! #WarEagle

CLRXYjQWEAAeqtH.jpg

Are they done putting speakers into the box? Figured with that much space, they'd put more speakers in.

Good luck getting a response to this....I've asked twice over the last couple pages and haven't seen a response. However, that may just be because no one knows.

On the back, it could be a countdown to kickoff, or a count down to tigerwalk etc... How about a countdown to the eagle flying....

Or cheerleaders .... for golf.

Good luck getting a response to this....I've asked twice over the last couple pages and haven't seen a response. However, that may just be because no one knows.

Haha, I guess we will just have to find out ourselves as they make progress on it. We will just have to have that be our answer.

Haha, I guess we will just have to find out ourselves as they make progress on it. We will just have to have that be our answer.

I don't know anything specific about this project, but I would be shocked if they added any more speakers at this point. For one thing, they've closed in all but the front side and can't easily move in any more speakers.

I do know that those are line arrays, and the next step (which they may have already started) would be to have a crew going to various points in the stadium with sound meters while they pump test signals through the system to verify that they have uniform loudness and good frequency response. IIRC, the stated goal was no more than 3 dB difference at any point. They may need to fine tune the positions of some of the speakers in the array, but that's about all they will do. I believe they left the front open so they can have line of sight to any area that measures low so they know which way to move the speakers. We're talking a fraction of an inch movement at the speaker, which can translate to several yards difference 150 yards away.

I know they've also said there will be fill speakers along the sidelines to help with some areas. Because electrical signals travel through wires faster than sound travels through air, they have to put in delay lines to avoid an echo. I've seen projects like this done before (though on a smaller scale), and I trust the process. Computer models do most of the work, and competent sound engineers will tweak it to perfection. I think we will be happy with the results.

I don't know anything specific about this project, but I would be shocked if they added any more speakers at this point. For one thing, they've closed in all but the front side and can't easily move in any more speakers.

I do know that those are line arrays, and the next step (which they may have already started) would be to have a crew going to various points in the stadium with sound meters while they pump test signals through the system to verify that they have uniform loudness and good frequency response. IIRC, the stated goal was no more than 3 dB difference at any point. They may need to fine tune the positions of some of the speakers in the array, but that's about all they will do. I believe they left the front open so they can have line of sight to any area that measures low so they know which way to move the speakers. We're talking a fraction of an inch movement at the speaker, which can translate to several yards difference 150 yards away.

I know they've also said there will be fill speakers along the sidelines to help with some areas. Because electrical signals travel through wires faster than sound travels through air, they have to put in delay lines to avoid an echo. I've seen projects like this done before (though on a smaller scale), and I trust the process. Computer models do most of the work, and competent sound engineers will tweak it to perfection. I think we will be happy with the results.

Thanks for the explanation...somewhere a while back I saw a piece that said about the same thing....seems reasonable and as noted, they are able to computer model the stadium and speaker "system" to prevent echo and feedback. Expect they will be tweaking for awhile but once they get it dialed in, they can set the output to optimum conditions. ....and no need for technicians to be tweaking with it during the games. Something like this should be "set and forget".

How will 87,000 pieces of human flesh affect the sound. It is one thing to test in a concrete stadium and another to have 87,000 sound dampening bodies ... I'd assume that would be an issue?

How will 87,000 pieces of human flesh affect the sound. It is one thing to test in a concrete stadium and another to have 87,000 sound dampening bodies ... I'd assume that would be an issue?

I can assure you that is something they account for. It mostly will affect reverb/echo. Bodies and clothing tend to absorb sound, while concrete and aluminum tend to reflect it. I would imagine it would be rather "live" while empty. They will tune it with a full stadium in mind.

CLWk8sVUAAAKRBo.jpg

RIR, are the open areas on the back for ventilation or will they be filled in.?

Go back one page and read.

CLWk8sVUAAAKRBo.jpg

First picture so far that has truly blown me away. And to Logan- I have no idea if they'll light up but I sure hope they will.

CLWk8sVUAAAKRBo.jpg

First picture so far that has truly blown me away. And to Logan- I have no idea if they'll light up but I sure hope they will.

That picture truly gives scale to the awesome size of this beautiful thing. Wow!

Archived