New Scoreboard - Construction Progress

RunInRed

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a lot of people just standing around to me...

Government project? :dunno:

Construction project. The next construction project I see that doesn't have four guys standing around waiting for one or two guys to finish something so that they can stop standing around will be the first. And for good reason.

Not even remotely close. The old scoreboard was 10 years old or more.

No. It's 8 years old. The HD scoreboard was installed before the 2007 season.

Parts for it are scarce or not available at all. It wasn't done to keep up with anybody. It was done because it was needed.

That's scary that after only 8 years they stopped being able to keep the maintenance up for it. I guess the new scoreboard we're getting in 2015 will likely be scrapped by 2025 because of a similar issue then. Ridiculous................

One of my crews is down there drilling some micropiles right now. They get drilled in 10' sections down into solid rock. Hole diameter is 9 5/8". The crane you see is loading and unloading the drill rods from the drill. Once each hole is done, a large all thread rebar will be inserted to the bottom of the hole and a cement and water mixture (grout that contains no sand or aggregate) will be pumped through a pipe to the bottom of the hole until good grout reaches the top of the pile. The supports going to the screen will be attached to these piles. This will be the deep foundation support of the scoreboard. This same process is used to hold up skyscrapers and large factories.

Just an fyi for those interested in what they are seeing.

One of my crews is down there drilling some micropiles right now. They get drilled in 10' sections down into solid rock. Hole diameter is 9 5/8". The crane you see is loading and unloading the drill rods from the drill. Once each hole is done, a large all thread rebar will be inserted to the bottom of the hole and a cement and water mixture (grout that contains no sand or aggregate) will be pumped through a pipe to the bottom of the hole until good grout reaches the top of the pile. The supports going to the screen will be attached to these piles. This will be the deep foundation support of the scoreboard. This same process is used to hold up skyscrapers and large factories.

Thanks for sharing!

Do you know how many supports are being installed? What they will look like? What are the plans for the existing 4 supports that held up the cosmetic displays/advertising?

Please keep us posted!

Thanks for sharing!

Do you know how many supports are being installed? What they will look like? What are the plans for the existing 4 supports that held up the cosmetic displays/advertising?

Please keep us posted!

These are the test piles put in (a jack was used that puts out around 300,000 lbs of pressure to confirm the piles will hold the weight)

hx9en9.jpg

There will be 46 of these installed total. They are around 45' deep in the ground. The finished product will not be visible. The area around the piles will be dug down and a reinforced concrete footer will be poured around the piles (piles will be cut off below surface). The footer will attach the piles to the support structure. I am not sure about the plan for the existing supports.

Actual piles are the same size. Here is an updated pic of some of the piles that have been partially completed. Notice they are all drilled at different angles and directions. This is to help with lateral load expected with such a large wind catching structure.

1r50tt.jpg

Thanks for the info and pics FE. I saw those piles being lifted but then the plywood fence blocks the view. The process is all very interesting to see.

Well there has certainly been a lot of info passed here lately. :) I don't understand any of it but enjoy it anyways. Ha!

Construction project. The next construction project I see that doesn't have four guys standing around waiting for one or two guys to finish something so that they can stop standing around will be the first. And for good reason.

Unions

Government project? :dunno:/>

Unions

What in the world do onions have to do with construction?

Unions

While your Union point is valid in some states, Alabama is a right to work state and there are very few unions comparatively. Most workers standing around on sites in alabama are just lazy and haven't been fired for it yet or are waiting on someone to finish a certain part so they can do their part....Unions have very little to do with Alabama work as the local unions aren't actually crazy like the northern ones.

Unions

What in the world do onions have to do with construction?

They have layers....man.

And I understand about AL and right to work, mainly I was joking, but I did work a MS Brown and Root project in my younger days where the carpenter literally had to wait for an electrician to come plug his skil saw in for him, and similarly idiotic things.

Any idea on the project timeline? I know it's supposed to be ready for season but past that? When is the piles/footer works supposed to be done? Structure? Board install? Etc.

Any idea on the project timeline? I know it's supposed to be ready for season but past that? When is the piles/footer works supposed to be done? Structure? Board install? Etc.

All I know is that the micro piles should be completed next week. I'm not involved in the construction after that. If I hear anything I will update.

All I know is that the micro piles should be completed next week. I'm not involved in the construction after that. If I hear anything I will update.

You da man! Thanks.

Unions

Nope. Reality.

Archived