Toney and Moncrief to Linebacker

1TexasTiger

Interesting. What position was Toney playing? I thought he was already a LB.

How do you guys think Moncrief will adjust? I guess he was a prototypical Star safety in the old scheme, maybe his speed will help him at LB, but will that be enough for him to get significant PT with all the other more traditional LBers on the squad?

Usually guys who move from safety to linebacker excel if they like to hit. Speed, agility, and ball skills are a big plus.

Toney had been moved to h back

Well, something had to be done. Unless incoming freshmen and Tre Williams are fully ready we're in a world of hurt at linebacker. This is what happens when a position is under-recruited, both in numbers and quality, for four years.

This 2015 linebacker class is the first adequate group of signees since 2010.

http://flywareagle.c...ing-linebacker/

Overall, the 6-foot-2, 218-pound Prattville, Alabama native had 27 tackles last season. He played safety and on special teams most of the season, but also saw time at the hybrid safety/linebacker Star position later in the year (including 25 snaps in the Outback Bowl), which should help make the transition to linebacker an easy one.

With his size and speed, Moncrief is a very intriguing option at weak-side outside linebacker. His coverage skills are an immediate improvement over any of the eight scholarship linebackers, and he has a reputation as a big hitter as well.

Toney, a 6-foot-1, 243-pound rising sophomore, spent some time at H-Back last season. However, it appears he will return to his natural linebacker position. Toney had two tackles last season.

It looks as if the shifting has started.

I don't know what your talking about. I ain't done nuttin to nobody.............. :big:

Moncrief has been one of our biggest head scratchers IMO. I really thought he'd be lights out first team SEC in no time. Maybe we'll see his athleticism and powerplant now.

I think we expect a little too much from these JUCO recruits. As impressive as they may look in Junior College, it is still a big leap to SEC D1 football and some have huge adjustments to make. Not many Cam Newtons out there. Of course Cam and Nick had already been exposed to some real football.

I think we expect a little too much from these JUCO recruits. As impressive as they may look in Junior College, it is still a big leap to SEC D1 football and some have huge adjustments to make. Not many Cam Newtons out there. Of course Cam and Nick had already been exposed to some real football.

Coach Ellis was really pumping up Moncrief during spring practice and fall camp. This didn't help anybody lower their expectations of Moncrief. At one point, I remember bunch of people were mad because Ford was listed as ahead of Moncrief.

Coach Ellis was really pumping up Moncrief during spring practice and fall camp. This didn't help anybody lower their expectations of Moncrief. At one point, I remember bunch of people were mad because Ford was listed as ahead of Moncrief.

I'm telling you, the scheme was off in the secondary.

Well, something had to be done. Unless incoming freshmen and Tre Williams are fully ready we're in a world of hurt at linebacker. This is what happens when a position is under-recruited, both in numbers and quality, for four years.

This 2015 linebacker class is the first adequate group of signees since 2010.

Yup. This is why I posted I wanted CWM during halftime of the USCe game. 4-2-5 means less linebackers signing with you.

Glad Toney is moving back to LB. Hope he can break out come spring ball

Good that Toney was moved back to his natural position (position he was recruited for). If he can't break into rotation this time he'll have to do some soul searching this time next year. But hopefully he'll have a strong showing this spring.

Could someone post a depth chart of LBs for Spring football?

Good that Toney was moved back to his natural position (position he was recruited for). If he can't break into rotation this time he'll have to do some soul searching this time next year. But hopefully he'll have a strong showing this spring.

Ever wonder why he was moved away from LB in the first place? He can't have been setting the world on fire there or the coaches wouldn't have made him switch. Can he have some sort of Epiphany and become all-world there? Sure. Is that likely? Probably not. Best guess: He's being moved back to LB to provide some depth in spring practice, since the new signees won't be on campus yet.

Seriously Mikey? And this is why people have a problem with you?

He was a redshirt freshman. We needed depth at H back and he volunteered or obliged when asked by the coaches.

Seriously Mikey? And this is why people have a problem with you?

He was a redshirt freshman. We needed depth at H back and he volunteered or obliged when asked by the coaches.

Seriously. He was fourth string on an extremely shaky LB corps. Had he been showing appropriate promise he wouldn't have been moved.

I think it's probably a little bit of both. Guy wasn't exactly setting the world on fire, but I don't think he's one many expected to contribute as an underclassman. I see him being more of a Swain 2.0 ...but I think it'll be harder for CT to see the field with all the experience and young talent we have at the position now.

Ever wonder why he was moved away from LB in the first place? He can't have been setting the world on fire there or the coaches wouldn't have made him switch. Can he have some sort of Epiphany and become all-world there? Sure. Is that likely? Probably not. Best guess: He's being moved back to LB to provide some depth in spring practice, since the new signees won't be on campus yet.

Frost and mckinzy Were not setting it on fire their first years as well. They still have work to do but Will and Lance know how to use their linebackers. Cameron may not be a starter but I believe the coaches will be relying on those guys instead of the newly signed high schoolers.

Archived