Laser used to stop truck from a mile away.

cooltigger21

Pretty cool new developments in technology. A laser developed by Lockheed Martin was used in a demonstration to stop a truck more than a mile away. This will be a nice addition to weapons systems for use against enemy vehicles once it's ready to be deployed. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2980966/The-laser-blasts-trucks-MILE-away-Lockheed-Martin-plans-mount-weapon-military-planes-helicopters.html

The photo shows the truck was already stopped.

It was on a stationary mount.

It was, however, rendered inoperable.

My guess is that there may be some very low tech counter measures to render the laser useless, in many situations.

The photo shows the truck was already stopped.

It was on a stationary mount.

It was, however, rendered inoperable.

My guess is that there may be some very low tech counter measures to render the laser useless, in many situations.

It's not close to being ready to be used yet but it is a promising development. The fact that they can do this much is pretty amazing in and of itself. Although it is only in it's infancy, this is definitely the future of weapons systems

I wonder why the time and money is being spent here. I mean, it seems a tracking system and a high speed projectile weapons system would serve far more durable in the field.

Seems a rail gun would be a better use of R and D .

I used to have one when I was a gunner on convoy patrol. Shine it at the windshield and the whole windshield turns red or green. Forcing a stop or if they didn't comply, a wreck.

Nvmd. I read the article, I never had one that could burn up engines. It is absurd to think that kind of technology is out there. I hope it doesn't end up in wrong hands.

I wonder why the time and money is being spent here. I mean, it seems a tracking system and a high speed projectile weapons system would serve far more durable in the field.

I think this will ultimately be more efficient and quicker to use. You won't have the expense of replacing spent ordinance.

Yeah, we desperately need a complex, super high tech weapon to stop a truck a mile away. :-\

This was a test homie just to see if it worked. You know that's how things are done. They test them out in simple situations like this first and then more complex until it's fully ready to go.

ct.......not everybody uses this approach. Obama like to throw big bucks at emerging energy ideas BEFORE they are proven ready by testing.

I think this will ultimately be more efficient and quicker to use. You won't have the expense of replacing spent ordinance.

Yeah, all you need is a box of AA batteries - assuming there's about a million in a box. ;D

Archived