Syracuse Basketball HAMMERED by NCAA

AU64

With one of the most severe groups of penalties I can recall in recent years...maybe since the Bama episodes a while back.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/3/6/8161923/syracuse-basketball-hammered-by-ncaa-for-failure-to-monitor

Coach suspended, loss of scholarships and more still.

Makes me wonder how far behind UNC-Chapel Hill will be ...some of the same type issues over a long period of time.

Wow. Didn't see that coming. I don't know if the NCAA is actually investigating UNC or have plans to. I honestly don't look for anything to happen there.

They have been investigating them for about 2 years...keep turning up stuff ...mostly academic but rumors of other things too. And while NCAA says it won't deal with academic issues....it did have that on the Syracuse list of transgressions ....and might consider the academic issues against UNC too as part of whatever else they have turned up..as you or someone noted, those academic things probably kept some guys eligible ....and of course allowed UNC to avoid any APR issues since it looked like everyone was making progress toward a degree....in whatever?

Syracuse has a really good recruiting class for next year. I wonder if any will want/ask to be released from the LOI. Will the NCAA even allow it?

Syracuse has a really good recruiting class for next year. I wonder if any will want/ask to be released from the LOI. Will the NCAA even allow it?

The penalties don't affect the incoming class but I expect anyone who wanted out would have to get some consideration because there is also a reasonable chance of a new coach too. With this hit, seems it would be hard for the school to keep JB. .

I don't see these as that harsh for one reason. Boeheim fostered this culture of cheating for years. He knowingly broke the rules for YEARS yet he has some wins vacated and is suspended for 9 conference games next year? I know the scholarships lost will hurt the program, but I don't see this as that severe. Tressel and Pearl were punished way more severely for a lot less by being removed from their jobs. Not to mention Pearl received the show cause. If any coach deserves a show cause its Boeheim at syracuse after this mess.

Archived