No House Republican leaders are going to Selma this weekend.

AUUSN

The eyes of the political world will be on Selma, Ala., tomorrow as President Obama will be in town to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the civil rights marches that began there -- and drew the attention of the country to its racial divide. Know who won't be in attendance? Anyone from the House Republican leadership.

Write Anna Palmer and Lauren French in Politico:

None of the top leaders — House Speaker John Boehner, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy or Majority Whip Steve Scalise, who was once thought likely to attend to atone for reports that he once spoke before a white supremacist group — will be in Selma for the three-day event that commemorates the 1965 march and the violence that protesters faced at the hands of white police officers. A number of rank-and-file Republicans have been aggressively lobbying their colleagues to attend, and several black lawmakers concurred.

It's hard to overstate what a dumb decision this is for a party desperate to show that it is comprised of and open to far more people than just old white men. "We do dumb real well," said former Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele. "It is astounding to me that whether it is supporting the continuation of the Voting Rights Act or commemorating a pivotal part of American Civil Rights history [selma], Republican leadership prefers to sit on the sidelines."

"Hey Republican leadership, get your ass down there," former Florida Republican congressman Joe Scarborough said on "Morning Joe" Friday morning. "Get down there. This is not hard. Don't golf. Don't raise money."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/03/06/no-republican-leaders-are-going-to-selma-this-weekend-thats-a-dumb-move/?lokkawaaa

It's as if the GOP leadership WANTS the party to collapse.

Piss off the base, piss off the blacks... just piss everyone off, but still do back room deals w/ the likes of Nancy Pelosi.

They really do want to get rid of the base. They want to build a party made up of the establishment types. Their consultants keep telling them to do this type of thing and they believe it.

Hmmm...."Don't Golf....Don't raise money". Is he speaking to the potus? :Sing:

Hmmm...."Don't Golf....Don't raise money". Is he speaking to the potus? :Sing:/>

Only Obama is allowed to do those things.

They should go...but would they be welcomed? Would they just get used to fire people up? Idk, but they should suck it up and go.

they should just send ben carson.

He's not an elected official, so he can go on his own.

Of course, he's not having his best week ever,

Plus, him showing up would only result in cries of 'token'.

They should go...but would they be welcomed? Would they just get used to fire people up? Idk, but they should suck it up and go.

My guess is they'd be targets of criticism and the ridiculous claims that voter ID issue is some how 'racist'.

My guess is they'd be targets of criticism and the ridiculous claims that voter ID issue is some how 'racist'.

Bingo!!!

they should just send ben carson.

He's not an elected official, so he can go on his own.

Of course, he's not having his best week ever,

Plus, him showing up would only result in cries of 'token'.

exactly my point.

GWB is going to be there with President Obama. Token?

This is part of the reason i quit supporting the Republicans back in 2005.

This is a very very important national milestone. It is OUR history.

If they dont show up today, they are truly as bad as many have called them to be.

Ethan, Emilee, and myself were going until late yesterday.

I am recovering from surgery and just cant make the ride.

Hang in there Brother. Get well soon!!!

And , right on cue, Jessie Jackson lobs the expected political rhetoric , blaming the GOP leadership for not being there, talking about section 4 decision ( of the Voting Right's Act ) and how it impacts the voter ID laws, and acting as if it's 1915, not 2015.

Despicable.

And , right on cue, Jessie Jackson lobs the expected political rhetoric , blaming the GOP leadership for not being there, talking about section 4 decision ( of the Voting Right's Act ) and how it impacts the voter ID laws, and acting as if it's 1915, not 2015.

Despicable.

I gotta agree with JJ at this point. If the Reps want to be a part of the solution, they have to at least show the hell up.

Despicable.

I gotta agree with JJ at this point. If the Reps want to be a part of the solution, they have to at least show the hell up.

Despicable.

republicans are there...why does it have to leadership to satisfy critics? it seems republicans always have to conduct business to suit democrats or be criticized for it. I couldn't care less if the leadership is there or not.

Despicable.

Why ? And allow the race hustlers of the day to sully the true spirit of the occasion and interject their political view ? Sorry, but opposition to the Voter ID thing is a complete scam.

And there were GOP members there. Just not the leadership.

It's not like they were gonna carry on w/ any legislation after , were they?

Despicable.

Why ? And allow the race hustlers of the day to sully the true spirit of the occasion and interject their political view ? Sorry, but opposition to the Voter ID thing is a complete scam.

And there were GOP members there. Just not the leadership.

It's not like they were gonna carry on w/ any legislation after , were they?

If nothing else, it is for the optix. You remember Obama's presser at the golf course?

Optix do matter, and i really think being there today would have gotten some real cred for those that showed up.

Scarborough was right. If you are in politics, you have to kiss babies and you have to go do the rubber chicken circuit, AND YOU HAVE TO SHOW UP FOR MOMENTOUS OCCASIONS AND GRACE GENERATING EVENTS. It is what you chose to do as a profession.

If i was President, I would be in Pearl Harbor every Dec 7th and at Normandy every June 6th, and at Arlington every Memorial Day. Its your job.

Despicable.

Despicable.

republicans are there...why does it have to leadership to satisfy critics? it seems republicans always have to conduct business to suit democrats or be criticized for it. I couldn't care less if the leadership is there or not.

It sounds like you don't recognize the actual and symbolic meaning of the Selma bridge incident.

Despicable.

Despicable.

It sounds like you don't recognize the actual and symbolic meaning of the Selma bridge incident.

you're hearing what you want to hear which isn't at all a surprise. there are republicans there...next!

Despicable.

Despicable.

you're hearing what you want to hear which isn't at all a surprise. there are republicans there...next!

Why would I want to "hear" that? :no:

Take responsibility for what you post. And be aware of the implied messages you may or may not intend.

That community needs a lot of help. It should be a protected treasure of the state. Instead, it's an image of times gone by. I've worked with a couple groups in Selma and their plight is sad. The town deserves better.

Archived