3421884.jpg

Ben Davis, ILB

Gordo, AL

6'4 / 230 / 4.60

- Recruiter: Travis Williams

- Picked up AU offer 1/06/1

- Numerous visits to AU

- Alabama legacy (Wayne Davis)

247Sports: 5* (Top247 - No. 13, No. 1 OLB)

ESPN: 4* (ESPN300 - No. 24, No. 1 OLB)

Rivals: 5* (Rivals100 - No. 5, No. 1 ILB)

Offer: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Tennessee and USC, among others.

Hudl Highlights

17192533_standard.jpg

• 4 months later...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything new here?

Second this. We need to be making progress on some good LBs.

Lol. Yeah. He is still all bama. He was just bragging about Saban this past weekend after their "champions cookout."

I would think that a champions cookout with Saban and his merry band of bammer bubbas, would consist of beanie weenies, spam, and a tub full of tainted Blue Belle homemade vanilla ice cream served in bowls shaped like elephant trunks.

Anything new here?

Nope. Still a Bama LSU battle right now.

Bama is my pick. Thanks for your hard work.

I keep hearing background music, "Another One Bites the Dust". The year started with lots of top LB prospects in our immediate recruiting area. Now we're out trying to flip Clemson and Miami commits. I sure do hope Coach Hothead has a trick or two up his sleeve concerning the LB recruiting situation.

I keep hearing background music, "Another One Bites the Dust". The year started with lots of top LB prospects in our immediate recruiting area. Now we're out trying to flip Clemson and Miami commits. I sure do hope Coach Hothead has a trick or two up his sleeve concerning the LB recruiting situation.

Well we didn't want Wilson and aren't recruiting Blue. That's a 4* and 5* from Montgomery .

We knew Davis and Wilson were all Bama a year ago. The fact that it is just settling into reality doesn't change that it was an uphill fight from day 1.

I think it's about time we started winning some uphill battles.Every top prospect is an uphill battle.

I think it's about time we started winning some uphill battles.Every top prospect is an uphill battle.

An uphill battle is one thing, but an uphill battle against life long Bama fans and a Bama legacy is not something we should expect. It happens, but don't count on them. We would expect to hold on to those players as well if the roles were reversed.

Once the Boom brothers are able to back up their recruiting pitch with evidence on the field, we will begin to win most of these battles. Most of these elite rated stars are wise enough to try to cement success with going to a team that will more than likely help them get to the next level. Gus is beginning to prove that and now with CWM on the scene the defense will start to show that as well. We have a bright future ahead of us, lets just be patient and allow the cards to fall where they may. WDE :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

Once the Boom brothers are able to back up their recruiting pitch with evidence on the field, we will begin to win most of these battles. Most of these elite rated stars are wise enough to try to cement success with going to a team that will more than likely help them get to the next level. Gus is beginning to prove that and now with CWM on the scene the defense will start to show that as well. We have a bright future ahead of us, lets just be patient and allow the cards to fall where they may. WDE :wareagle:/> :wareagle:/> :wareagle:/>

Yep.

Once the Boom brothers are able to back up their recruiting pitch with evidence on the field, we will begin to win most of these battles. Most of these elite rated stars are wise enough to try to cement success with going to a team that will more than likely help them get to the next level. Gus is beginning to prove that and now with CWM on the scene the defense will start to show that as well. We have a bright future ahead of us, lets just be patient and allow the cards to fall where they may. WDE :wareagle:/> :wareagle:/> :wareagle:/>

Yep.

I would think our new LB coach would carry some credibility for some of the success of that red team over the years. I do have high expectations for the next couple years but they are going to have to have the same level of talent. I don't mean stars but talent.

The hiring of Lance Thompson is one of Gus's most significant hires of his coaching career I believe. We stole coach Thompson from our hated rival, hence weakening them and strengthening Auburn. The guy is one hell of a coach to say the least.

Top prospect are uphill battles with all colleges. You really can't be upset about Ben Davis?

Not Davis specifically, BUT: Last year we heard a lot about how "the '16 class is loaded with 5* LB's and DT's in our primary recruiting areas!" It may be loaded, but so far Auburn hasn't exactly been loading up.

Not Davis specifically, BUT: Last year we heard a lot about how "the '16 class is loaded with 5* LB's and DT's in our primary recruiting areas!" It may be loaded, but so far Auburn hasn't exactly been loading up.

Honestly, that will happen when you change coaching staffs. The guys we were recruiting aren't necessarily the guys we are recruiting now, and the relationships that were formed with the last staff now have to be re-formed in a very short amount of time. That is not easy to do, nor does it happen instantly. Combine that with a change in defensive scheme, and the lack thereof for the other schools recruiting him, and its not inconceivable that we are having issues with these players.

With that said, I think that we should be in the mix for a lot of highly rated guys. Just because a guy has 5 stars next to his name doesn't mean he fits what we want to do more than a guy that has 4 stars next to his name - it's all about fit.

So Mikey, How long does it take to form a relationship with these kids? The coaches have been on board for maybe 7 months tops...and the other staffs have been together longer...plus the negative recruiting that CWM will only be around for a year....That is an uphill battle...I think by signing day we will have some of the guys we wanted...and not to mention scheme change...

That doesn't fly this time around. All of the "new" defensive staff are known as being elite at their jobs. The recruits we are going after now, they were pursuing previously. We may "get it done" by February, but we aren't now.

I have started to wonder about Gus's overall recruiting philosophy as a "culture". So many other schools are having guys commit early and discouraging them to look around, negative recruiting it simply telling them they cannot look around.

Seems to me (could be wrong) that gus is following the chizik philosophy, to a lesser degree, about letting commitments look around "to make sure". I don't know if that could also be impacted due to auburn not being the "state school" and all of our rivals are?

I agree...new coaching staff is a bad excuse IMO. Muschamp is not an unknown to any of these players and neither are any of the other D coaches.

That doesn't fly this time around. All of the "new" defensive staff are known as being elite at their jobs. The recruits we are going after now, they were pursuing previously. We may "get it done" by February, but we aren't now.

I have started to wonder about Gus's overall recruiting philosophy as a "culture". So many other schools are having guys commit early and discouraging them to look around, negative recruiting it simply telling them they cannot look around.

Seems to me (could be wrong) that gus is following the chizik philosophy, to a lesser degree, about letting commitments look around "to make sure". I don't know if that could also be impacted due to auburn not being the "state school" and all of our rivals are?

Wait wait wait, you're saying that we're not getting it done? It's July. We have 11 commitments, all of which are quality and fit what we need. You're telling me that's not getting it done?

I absolutely hate the uber early commitment stuff. I don't like the pressure these kids or coaches are under. I think alot of kids need to be evaluated their senior seasons.

I guess the "July" statement should be qualified in the 2 position groups that seem to be highlighted now. DL and LB - our rivals, I think, are making forward progress and "it feels" we are not. I will readily admit, based on your question of my post, that I may have let facts and lack of knowledge on the situation sway me - I follow the recruiting on this board and some free AUC articles. Outside of that - I don't have a clue.

I usually don't make recruiting comments like that and maybe I should refrain. Most of my recruiting commentary usually stems from a 30000 foot view by a middle aged guy and what just seems to make since to me having some life experience. Also, I may have gotten caught up in the emotion of recruiting because there is more than freaking half a year, an entire high school preseason/season, Allstar games and a plethora of official visits to go - not to mention an entire college preseason/season to play.

I suspect our recruiting will improve a touch on the heals of out natty in January. ;)

Archived