2016 4* QB Woody Barrett (AU commit 6/3/15)

RunInRed

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The WR core was average at best all season. I don't think White fits the system. QB will always have to run under Malzan system if you ask me atleast that is how his offense has been most successful in the SEC.

The O-Line improved this year when the run game picked up the passing game was more open and when the D was not sure if we were going to throw or pass the passing protection was very good. The play so many are crying about in the bama game 3rd and 2 was great example. JJ had plenty of time and receiver was open. However when we got in an obvious passing situation when either SW or JJ was playing QB the O-Line did not do as well.

It is always tough for an O-Line in this situation but it is what often separates a good O-Line from a great O-Line. In this situation O-Line includes Backs and sometimes even TE's who might need to stay in and block or chip somebody before going out. There are times good D's put you in obvious passing situations what a team and the QB does here often tells you the most about the team and the QB. Do QB and Receiver connect on a hot read? Does Back leak out for an open pass or try and block? Does QB step up and move in the pocket enough to help the blockers? Does QB see an opening to run when available? Does QB recognize that there is nothing there and throw ball away avoiding sack or interception?

This year we were weak in this area some was on O-Line and backs, some were on receivers not adjusting routes and some was on QB's making bad decisions. Not all the QB issues we had this year was on the QB so next year whoever wins the QB job we also need to improve the other areas.

Looks like the coaches are lying to everybody.....their perception must be off all around

They are telling them all the truth: "Be the best QB and you'll start". No lies involved.

^Why can't people understand this?^

The WR core was average at best all season. I don't think White fits the system. QB will always have to run under Malzan system if you ask me atleast that is how his offense has been most successful in the SEC.

Chris Todd and the 2009 offense says hello. Todd rushed for a whopping -116 yards on the year, and the 2009 offense was 17th in the nation in points scored, averaging 33.3 ppg.

Lets also look at his offense at Arkansas in 2006! Starting QB Casey Dick ran for -12 yards on the year, and backup Mitch Mustain ran for -20. Their offense was 31st in the nation in points scored with 28.9 points per game.

Chris Todd and the 2009 offense says hello. Todd rushed for a whopping -116 yards on the year, and the 2009 offense was 17th in the nation in points scored, averaging 33.3 ppg.

Lets also look at his offense at Arkansas in 2006! Starting QB Casey Dick ran for -12 yards on the year, and backup Mitch Mustain ran for -20. Their offense was 31st in the nation in points scored with 28.9 points per game.

Lots of people on this forum, including myself, agree with you. But you can't convince the DT QB crowd otherwise. They argue the offense with Todd wasn't that good against quality competition therefore we can't be competitive without a nobile QB. I say it simply isn't true. DT is good but I don't want to see good decision making and passing ability compromised just because someone is a better runner but can't execute the pass

yeah. i am tired of the DT crowd too. Yes, it might help some on the options of the offense. But if you bring in a QB who can run, but is not a very good passer then you stil have problem. Malzahn has shown he can produce offense with pocket passers. Our problem was our passing was just too inconsistent and missed on wide open receivers or ill advised passes.

The Alabama game was a mirror of our offensive issues.

1. Wide open RL down the seam for big yardage, our QB overthrew him

2. open RL going into the endzone on 3rd and 2, QB underthrew him

3. actually was overthrowing Smith down the middle, luckily Smith tipped it up and while kept running he tipped it again for a TD

4. on a third down QB rolls to his left near the redzone, needing 6 yards for first down(i think), he has some room to run and get it close to a first down, but at last minute tries to throw to Kerryon Johnson near the sideline who wasnt expecting a pass and tipped it up out of bounds.

5. QB when pressured in second half could not scramble away from pressure like Coker could, and would go down to avoid getting hit resulting in QB sacks.

I'm not sure I am 100% in the DT crowd but I tend to lean that way. What I do see is that JJ is not the answer. White did not set th world on fire when he got his shot and it's not all on the WR's. With that said I think we will have either Barrett or Franklin at QB next year. I will say though that the best I have seen the off. work was with two DT QB's. again I am not saying it can't work because several years ago it obviously did but JJ isn't the answer for sure and White didn't blow anyone away and make himself the obvious choice so that only leaves Franklin and Barrett.

I'm not sure I am 100% in the DT crowd but I tend to lean that way. What I do see is that JJ is not the answer. White did not set th world on fire when he got his shot and it's not all on the WR's. With that said I think we will have either Barrett or Franklin at QB next year. I will say though that the best I have seen the off. work was with two DT QB's. again I am not saying it can't work because several years ago it obviously did but JJ isn't the answer for sure and White didn't blow anyone away and make himself the obvious choice so that only leaves Franklin and Barrett.

I agree white didn't blow anyone away but he had 3 consecutive games passing well over 200 yards. First time an au QB has don't that in quite some time.

JJ's running ability was worse than his passing and we all know how bad his passing was.

Haha I don't think I can argue against that actually

I agree white didn't blow anyone away but he had 3 consecutive games passing well over 200 yards. First time an au QB has don't that in quite some time.

And I would argue that if he had a couple of sure handed, clean route running receivers he would have been in the 300-400 range in at least a couple of those games. I'm sure some people will find this thought offensive, but I think with a healthy Sean and nothing else changed, we would have beaten bama.

And I would argue that if he had a couple of sure handed, clean route running receivers he would have been in the 300-400 range in at least a couple of those games. I'm sure some people will find this thought offensive, but I think with a healthy Sean and nothing else changed, we would have beaten bama.

It's not crazy to suggest. I lost count of the easy throws Johnson couldn't make. One of them was 6 for sure.

It's not crazy to suggest. I lost count of the easy throws Johnson couldn't make. One of them was 6 for sure.

I think it would have increased our 3rd down production by at least 50%, and that's all we would have needed. Of course, if we could somehow rewind and make it happen, then our receivers would suffer from the drops again, just to make us look bad :)

And the throws to open receivers he did not get to make because the coaches did not trust him enough to give him the chances. JMO

A good passing team will give bama serious problems....but that's not Florida of course.

And the throws to open receivers he did not get to make because the coaches did not trust him enough to give him the chances. JMO

A good passing team will give bama serious problems....but that's not Florida of course.

I'm sure one of the remaining teams that play bama will look at the Iron Bowl, take our game plan, execute it better, and send them home with a loss. I honestly think that Gus has Saban's number, and can beat his best with a team that is just good.

Oh... and apologies to everyone for derailing the Woody Barrett thread. More on topic, how does a coach assess whether a Dual Threat or a Pocket Passer is the better player, considering that they run different offenses? Does the rest of the team have to learn both playbooks to properly evaluate them?

I'm sure one of the remaining teams that play bama will look at the Iron Bowl, take our game plan, execute it better, and send them home with a loss. I honestly think that Gus has Saban's number, and can beat his best with a team that is just good.

Oh... and apologies to everyone for derailing the Woody Barrett thread. More on topic, how does a coach assess whether a Dual Threat or a Pocket Passer is the better player, considering that they run different offenses? Does the rest of the team have to learn both playbooks to properly evaluate them?

Therein lies a huge problem. If a coaching staff is trying to decide between two pocket passers or two running QB's, the overall offensive system doesn't have to change no matter who wins the job. If they are trying to decide between a runner and a pocket passer, the result could be chaos. Suppose you start with one and he gets hurt? Change systems after game 4? It could be a mess.

Urban Meyer won a national title running 2 different offenses with Leak and Tebow.

This anecdotal outlier has been brought to you by.....

Leak was the QB, Tebow the short yardage guy. We did the same at AU with D. Craig as the short yardage guy his freshman and sophomore years. It's really not the same as different starting QB's running different systems.

I look forward to Barrett getting to campus. Naturally, he will need to be brought along by the coaches. I just hope we have a good QB coach who can bring him along.

I look forward to Barrett getting to campus. Naturally, he will need to be brought along by the coaches. I just hope we have a good QB coach who can bring him along.

agreed

It seems like we are always looking forward to the QB that isn't playing or the one that hasn't gotten here yet. Developing what we have is the answer, not waiting on the one that isn't here yet. JMHO...?

It seems like we are always looking forward to the QB that isn't playing or the one that hasn't gotten here yet. Developing what we have is the answer, not waiting on the one that isn't here yet. JMHO...?

Bingo.

Everybody's favorite player is always the backup QB, as they say, and it's no truer anywhere than Auburn. (At Auburn, though, it's even worse at the running back position.)

Archived