2015 Spring Practice - Day 2

RunInRed

@CoachGusMalzahn addressing the team following the second practice of the spring.

B_7xFvWWYAE4niX.jpg

@FootballAU

Muschamp pleased with effort and work ethic the first two practices so far but says they have a long way to go

Muschamp said guys will cross train at different spots as system is implemented

Tim Irvin will work at both nickel and safety. Does a lot that impresses Muschamp

Muschamp says Carl Lawson will be "very effective" at Buck. Lauds his quickness and first step

Muschamp: I was very involved defensively at UF. Contrary to popular opinion, I wasn't that involved on offense. Laughs "I should've been"

Andrew Williams working at both DE and DT. Elijah Daniel only working inside

Muschamp impressed with Justin Garrett amd Tre' Williams at third LB spot.

Muschamp on Byron Cowart coming in: He's a good football player. If he continues to work the way he has in HS, he'll be able to help us.

Early on, Muschamp grading on effort. Time will come this spring when focus shifts to execution.

@AUBlog

Defensive coordinator here. "First of all, I'd like to congratulate Greg Sankey" on becoming the new commissioner of the SEC.

Muschamp: :We ask our nickel to do a little bit more coverage" than previous staff. Says Derrick Moncrief is one of the players at that spot

Muschamp: "The word 'spread' is spread around way too much." Rattles off numerous formations that Auburn's offense runs.

Muschamp said that Jonathan Jones is being held out of some 11-on-11 drills as he's still recovery from a nagging foot injury.

Muschamp on not talking to the media on national signing day: "I missed you (reporters)."

@wareagleextra

Will Muschamp says Carl Lawson is being limited to about half the reps. That will be the plan all spring.

Muschamp says Rudy Ford will play some corner as well

@JamesCrepea

Enjoyable Boom session. Thanks Red. Will said in his comments that 8 total linebackers is all that is needed on scholarship.......... Looking forward to A day.

Thanks for the info Brother!!!

He's going to start at Safety and mix in at CB. The guy has been a full-time defensive player for two years now. I never quite understood why anyone thought he was moving.

He's going to start at Safety and mix in at CB. The guy has been a full-time defensive player for two years now. I never quite understood why anyone thought he was moving.

Bingo

Tray Matthews is going to be an All-SEC safety this year.

Fixed. Ford might get there as well, but if I had to bet on one...

I hope Ford concentrates on his tackling technique this spring.

We hope. We've been a mess back there for quite some time. Until I see a functional secondary, I'm going to be a bit skeptical. The issue hasn't been a pure lack of talent. We've been bad on the back end since 2009. Walt McFadden, Jonathan Jones, Chris Davis, Meat McNeal, etc. Those guys may not be world beaters, but there was talent present. It just hasn't mattered. We'll see if this is the year we combine a pass rush with solid coverage and make a major leap.

I hope Ford concentrates on his tackling technique this spring.

Was his tackling technique really that bad?

I wondered if he was mostly out of position to be able to make plays.

So leaving Ford at DB....interesting

would've loved to see him play the McCalebb role

Why is that interesting? There was no way he was going to offense.

Why is that interesting? Why is anything interesting to one person and not the other? Maybe because they have differing views? Is that not an option anymore?

Why is that interesting? Why is anything interesting to one person and not the other? Maybe because they have differing views? Is that not an option anymore?

It was just a simple question dude.

Archived