Starbucks to encourage baristas to discuss race with customers

cooltigger21

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not discuss nukes with your plumber? Lib idiocy...

It's their business. They can run it how they want. I just find it a bit silly. I make coffee at home or when I eat breakfast in a restaurant. Just never got the whole Starbucks craze to start with. That's just me I suppose.

Plumbers (pipe fitters) are vital to nuclear plants

"Welcome to Chick Fil-A. Before you order, I'd like to engage you in a conversation about my personal savior, Jesus."

How is this different than Chik-Fil-A.

These type of discussions actually fit the coffee culture and social interactions that are associated with the store and it's products.

"Welcome to Chick Fil-A. Before you order, I'd like to engage you in a conversation about my personal savior, Jesus."

Difference is, that never happened. CFA isn't that stupid. They sell chicken, and do it very well. Starbucks has no business to do anything but sell coffee and related products. Most idiotic idea - ever.

Think they want to discuss race ? Guess again.

Starbucks exec quits Twitter amid race backlash

http://www.press-report.us.com/clanek-42657638-starbucks-exec-quits-twitter-amid-race-backlash

Difference is, that never happened. CFA isn't that stupid. They sell chicken, and do it very well. Starbucks has no business to do anything but sell coffee and related products. Most idiotic idea - ever.

Think they want to discuss race ? Guess again.

Starbucks exec quits Twitter amid race backlash

The fact you see it as the 'most idiotic idea ever' doesn't surprise me....

Racial diversity is the story of America, our triumphs as well as our faults.

Yet racial inequality is not a topic we readily discuss.

It’s time to start.

Conversation has the power to change hearts and minds.

At Starbucks, we’ve seen this firsthand. Recently, as racially charged events unfolded across our country, we felt a responsibility to act. We called our partners (employees) together and invited them to express what they were thinking or feeling.

In forums across the country, people shared personal experiences and ideas about how to move our country forward. Men and women from backgrounds as diverse as America’s spoke about their childhoods, neighborhoods, fears and hopes.

Each forum was as respectful as it was emotional. Each voice offered insight into the divisive role unconscious bias plays in our society, and the role empathy can play to bridge those divides. In most of the cities we visited, we also met with senior police leaders to hear their concerns and share what we were learning.

After witnessing the power of civil discourse within our company, we asked ourselves, what more can we do?

Our nation is only becoming more diverse. To ignore, dismiss or fail to productively engage our differences is to stifle our collective potential. Diversity of thought and skills lead to more creative ideas and higher performance. Bias, even unintentional slights, sap our potential for shared prosperity while denying our shared humanity.

RACE TOGETHER is an initiative from Starbucks and
USA TODAY
to stimulate conversation, compassion and action around race in America.

In Starbucks stores across the country on March 20th, you’ll find a free special insert from
USA TODAY
. It is an invitation not just to reflect but to open a dialogue about race and what it means to you. Coffee shops have always had a role to play as a venue for open conversation about issues that matter. We hope you’ll join us, at your community Starbucks, with your friends and neighbors.

You can also experience the interactive edition of the RACE TOGETHER special section online at
racetogether.usatoday.com

For all our country’s progress, barriers to social justice and economic equality exist in far too many corners. RACE TOGETHER is not a solution, but it is an opportunity to begin to re-examine how we can create a more empathetic and
inclusive society — one conversation at a time.
https://medium.com/the-starbucks-collection/why-race-together-1876bd37f97c

USN - utter and complete b.s. NONE of what you posted makes any sense, what so ever. Businesses should not , under ANY circumstance, start LECTURING to its customers on societal matters.

Ever.

Diversity is meaningless w/ out any concept of personal responsibility or freedom. This is nothing but cowardly navel gazing by a meek, touchy - feely idiots who want us all to wear pajamas to work and sing kumbaya.

Leave it to Barry's folks to argue a LIE. Typical and too funny!!!

USN - utter and complete b.s. NONE of what you posted makes any sense, what so ever. Businesses should not , under ANY circumstance, start LECTURING to its customers on matters of social matters.

Ever.

Diversity is meaningless w/ out any concept of personal responsibility or freedom. This is nothing but cowardly navel gazing by a meek, touchy - feely idiots who want us all to wear pajamas to work and sing kumbaya.

They are not lecturing, they are just including questions on a cup for conversation pieces. Everything that USN is mentioning involves conversation. Which in many places, such as this board, is utter and complete b.s. Just ignore the cup. Put one of those sleeves on the cup. When I went to Athens my cup said UGA on it, and when I went to Tuscaloosa my cup had Alabama on it. I don't agree or support either of those, but it was just a cup. If you don't like the message then go by your coffee somewhere else.

The guy deleted the account cause it got personnel and there were many jackasses that just did race baiting and racist commits versus actually trying to converse properly on the issue.

Chick Fil A did their lecturing in Chicago when a alderman and many of his residents didn't want one in their district. Mean what is there corporate mission?

Chick-fil-A’s corporate mission, as stated on a plaque at company headquarters (and by Cathy), is to “glorify God.”

Chik-fil-a should be making chicken when I go in there, not holding bible study that promotes the companies social/religious beliefs

Howe Rice, a franchisee in Glen Allen, Va., hosts a Bible study group in one of his two Chick-fil-A restaurants every Tuesday.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0723/080.html

Starbucks is promoting conversation on a topic the chicken boys are the ones lecturing and using social beliefs in its company mission statement.

Chick fil A simply stood up to those that demanded they be essentially shut down because the owner stated he did not believe in gay marriage. You would have thought he was advocating kiling gays or something like that. Nobody is saying boycott Starbucks. Nobody is going to be picketing the stores. If someone wants to go there and have a discussion on race or anything else, have at it. I just find the whole idea silly.

It's lecturing. A person comes in for a coffee, and they get some social b.s. shoved in their face.

You cite ONE CFA restaurant out of how many 1000's which allows some to hold bible study ? That is so NOT anywhere near a comparison to what Starbucks is shoving in the customer's face, I really feel sad for you that you bothered to type that in the first place.

I've been to CFA HUNDREDS of times, easy, and not once have I heard anyone behind the counter so much as wish me a blessed day. It is beyond ridiculous to claim CFA on any level, as far as the customer is aware, does what this idiotic Starbucks campaign is trying attempting to do.

The best way to get folks to treat each other with respect is to just treat each other respect. STOP trying to hammer over the same damn tired old cliches about slavery and segregation, or out right LIES of 'hands up / don't shoot'.

You ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow with that noise. Not now, not ever.

We're all just folks. Start treating each other like it, and move the hell on.

As they say, the proof is in the pudding. CFA is one of the most successful franchises going. Their stores are almost always busy. I wish I could buy stock in them.

Starbucks is an Obama contributor so I never go in one. Besides that their stuff is way over priced.

It's lecturing. A person comes in for a coffee, and they get some social b.s. shoved in their face.

You cite ONE CFA restaurant out of how many 1000's which allows some to hold bible study ? That is so NOT anywhere near a comparison to what Starbucks is shoving in the customer's face, I really feel sad for you that you bothered to type that in the first place.

I've been to CFA HUNDREDS of times, easy, and not once have I heard anyone behind the counter so much as wish me a blessed day. It is beyond ridiculous to claim CFA on any level, as far as the customer is aware, does what this idiotic Starbucks campaign is trying attempting to do.

The best way to get folks to treat each other with respect is to just treat each other respect. STOP trying to hammer over the same damn tired old cliches about slavery and segregation, or out right LIES of 'hands up / don't shoot'.

Lol. It is a question on a cup for conversation and you are flipping out.

Course you left out that glorifying god is in the company's mission statement. Shouldn't the companies mission statement be make and sell chicken?

But cool... then stop letting Girl Scouts sell cookies outside your store. Stop letting veterans ask for money outside your door. Stop asking me if I want to donate to X chapter, or X chapter, or Z or Y every time I make a purchase. You really think it is hard to find that corporation pushing social agenda's? Don't leave little jars with the stuff on it sitting next to the registers either!!!

Lol, putting a question on a cup and saying would you like to add a dollar to your purchase the dollar will go to benefit X that helps with X is the same thing. Except instead of noticing it on my cup I had to stand there and listen to the counter person promote it and ask for money for it.

USN - utter and complete b.s. NONE of what you posted makes any sense, what so ever. Businesses should not , under ANY circumstance, start LECTURING to its customers on societal matters.

Ever.

Good stuff! You are giving tigger a run for the money. ;D

Yahooooooo!

(I'm waving my hat)

Lol. It is a question on a cup for conversation and you are flipping out.

Me and a whole lot of customers who DID like Starbucks, but who have given them an earful at how asinine and ridiculous this campaign of there's is, yes.

Course you left out that glorifying god is in the company's mission statement. Shouldn't the companies mission statement be make and sell chicken?

Actually, I didn't. I spoke SPECIFICALLY about that , so you'd best re-read my comments. At no time did I ever see a crucifix or get read one of the 10 commandments or a bible verse at any time I went to Chick-fil-A.

You have tell me that their mission statement had anything to do w/ God for me to know. As a customer, I don't see it. They could be honoring Lucifer , Allah or the Power Puff girls, for all I know. What they DO is sell chicken. That's what I DO know.

Funny, you scold CFA for their own views, but don't get bent out of shape when Starbucks shoves THEIR views in the faces of the customers.

YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT THIS !!!!!! is basically what they are telling me.

No, YOU should sell coffee, and kindly STFU.

But cool... then stop letting Girl Scouts sell cookies outside your store. Stop letting veterans ask for money outside your door. Stop asking me if I want to donate to X chapter, or X chapter, or Z or Y every time I make a purchase. You really think it is hard to find that corporation pushing social agenda's? Don't leave little jars with the stuff on it sitting next to the registers either!!!

Now you're rambling incoherently.

Lol, putting a question on a cup and saying would you like to add a dollar to your purchase the dollar will go to benefit X that helps with X is the same thing. Except instead of noticing it on my cup I had to stand there and listen to the counter person promote it and ask for money for it.

it's not a " question " , it's a # statement, with a specific intent.

Would you be so " cool " if CFA had " #gotJESUS " on their cups ? CLEARLY, you'd be pissed as hell about it, because you are already so bothered w/ their company mission statement , which 99.9999999999999 % of all customers neither know or care about.

As it should be.

They sell chicken, and they do a pretty damn good job of it.

As for Starbucks...my only regret is that i can't go there less than I already do. Which is never.

"50,000,000 Murdered Babies every year in the US" written on the top of a Krispy Kreme box. Why not? They just want to have a conversation.......

Archived