NCAA Eliminates Hardship Waivers

Maverick.AU

The NCAA isn't preventing the student athlete from transferring to be closer to home & family to take care of personal issues that caused the hardship, they are just treating it like a normal transfer where they sit a year, right?

“We hope this change will encourage student-athletes who must transfer based on hardships to focus on the circumstances prompting the transfer during their first year and adjust to their new school, while giving them a season back to complete their eligibility,” Council chairperson Amy Huchthausen said in the NCAA's statement.

The part about Tulsa depends if they offered him a scholarship upon enrollment.

From a second source reference returning to original institution :

Return to Original Institution without Participation or with Minimal Participation Exception

A student-athlete may transfer and play immediately if the student transferred to a second school and returns to his or her original school either without practicing or competing in athletics at all, except for one 14-day period (i.e. a tryout). Athletes may do this even if they were originally required to sit out for one year.

Bottom line is they are supposed to be academic institutions doing what is best for the student. But instead they are businesses who don't care about the student. Over last 2 years they were able to determine who was legit in applying for hardship and who wasn't. They turned down over 1/2, but they also helped families that really needed it. This shows a total lack of compassion and speaks volumes about the people who voted to stop helping families in needs.

Exactly. It's even less palatable when you consider what the NCAA allows teams like bammer to get away with year after year. It's incomprehensible that they'd go after kids who are already suffering just because some have tried to abuse it.

The NCAA isn't preventing the student athlete from transferring to be closer to home & family to take care of personal issues that caused the hardship, they are just treating it like a normal transfer where they sit a year, right?

That means a year without a scholarship so basically they are sticking it to the student. My family member is sick and even though both schools are willing to let you transfer and get a scholarship at the school closer to home the NCAA is blocking it. That means no school for a year or pay your own way for a year. That is spiteful and mean.

No. They can go on scholarship immediately. They simply cannot play for a year. That's the same as any normal, non-hardship transfer.

If the NCAA doesn't allow Khari this coming season, then show they don't care about guys like Khari or their families.

That means a year without a scholarship so basically they are sticking it to the student. My family member is sick and even though both schools are willing to let you transfer and get a scholarship at the school closer to home the NCAA is blocking it. That means no school for a year or pay your own way for a year. That is spiteful and mean.

No. They can go on scholarship immediately. They simply cannot play for a year. That's the same as any normal, non-hardship transfer.

This is what I thought too.

Since this is the case, I have no problem with the rule change. If they get the financial benefit of a full scholarship then this is just like a regular transfer - sit a year and still get everything paid for by the school. The NCAA isn't hurting the kid financially or academically ~ athletically they just sit out a year like a normal transfer. While I suppose it would be a luxury to not have to sit out a year, that's kind of beside the point because they still get to be closer to home/family to take care of any issues and more importantly they still get a full scholarship.

Since this is the case, I have no problem with the rule change. If they get the financial benefit of a full scholarship then this is just like a regular transfer - sit a year and still get everything paid for by the school. The NCAA isn't hurting the kid financially or academically ~ athletically they just sit out a year like a normal transfer. While I suppose it would be a luxury to not have to sit out a year, that's kind of beside the point because they still get to be closer to home/family to take care of any issues and more importantly they still get a full scholarship.

Thing is, will the school he's transferring to give him a scholarship to sit a year? I haven't read through the thread, but last I heard, Tulsa had stopped communicating with Harding.

Interesting twist:

James Crepea@JamesCrepea 34m

34 minutes ago

Update on former Auburn LB/DB Khari Harding: He isn't practicing @ Tulsa so he can keep door open for possible return to AU, per his father

The NCAA allows transferring players to return to their former school without losing eligibility as long as they don't participate in practice for more than 14 days. Last I read, they were awaiting clarification whether that meant 14 consecutive days or 14 practice days.

“@JamesCrepea: The mess continues: Khari Harding was on field Sat., per @KellyHinesTW. Father did not know that. If so, can't return to AU & play in fall.”

If he was thinking of returning to Auburn, what happened to the hardship? It wasn't that hard after all? I think situations like this are why the NCAA is doing away with the hardship loophole.

If he was thinking of returning to Auburn, what happened to the hardship? It wasn't that hard after all? I think situations like this are why the NCAA is doing away with the hardship loophole.

Harding was thinking of returning to Auburn because they instituted the new rule AFTER he transferred but made it effective immediately (which in his case is really retroactively). In addition to being closer to his dad, one of the big reasons was to allow his dad to watch him play. If he can't play this year, his father may not survive until next season.

NCAA axed the hardship rule for reasons exactly like this IMO.

I have no problem with it - the transferee still gets free education/room/board/books/meals/use of facilities AND they get to be closer to the person or situation that caused them to transfer in the first place which should be more important than getting on the field.

I have no problem with it - the transferee still gets free education/room/board/books/meals/use of facilities AND they get to be closer to the person or situation that caused them to transfer in the first place which should be more important than getting on the field.

Again, they changed the rule after he transferred. He made his original decision based on the rules. Then they changed the rules on him. That's bullsh**. He (and probably some other kids) got screwed. By the NCAA. Imagine that.

I have no problem with the new rule, but it should not apply to Khari Harding or anybody else who transferred when the old rule was in place.

The timing of when the rule was installed does not affect the severity of the hardship. If moving closer to home is optional the hardship application should not have even been filed.

Again, they changed the rule after he transferred. He made his original decision based on the rules. Then they changed the rules on him. That's bullsh**. He (and probably some other kids) got screwed. By the NCAA. Imagine that.

I have no problem with the new rule, but it should not apply to Khari Harding or anybody else who transferred when the old rule was in place.

It's somewhat unfortunate for KH, but I have a really hard time feeling sorry for a kid who transfers and still gets the advantage of a full ride scholarship. He needed to be closer to his ailing father, I think he is very fortunate that he was able to receive a full ride scholarship from a great university which most certainly is a finanical relief for his family. It sucks that he can't get on the field immediately, but I doubt that is very high on the list of priorities when your father is in his last days.

It's somewhat unfortunate for KH, but I have a really hard time feeling sorry for a kid who transfers and still gets the advantage of a full ride scholarship. He needed to be closer to his ailing father, I think he is very fortunate that he was able to receive a full ride scholarship from a great university which most certainly is a finanical relief for his family. It sucks that he can't get on the field immediately, but I doubt that is very high on the list of priorities when your father is in his last days.

I do understand where he is coming from though. One of the ways that my dad and I connected when I was growing up was through math, science, and engineering. I can't tell you how much time I spent at his workbench when I was growing up, helping him do all sorts of things. Now that I am in school, I pretty regularly show off what I'm doing to my dad, whether it's a piece that I've machined in the DML or an exam I got a good grade on. Similarly, Khari may have connected with his father through football growing up, and that may be how he honors his dad.

I don't think Khari is wrong in wanting to play. He wants to make his dad proud, and this is one way that he does it. In fact, I think it's admirable to leave the school that he loved to move closer to his father in his time of need. It shows that he is willing to put family before himself, and is very selfless. And as it was said before, he did what he did under the assumption that the rule would not change. It would be like running a play that was legal, then having the refs say that after the play they changed the rule, which retroactively means you get a penalty. Nobody is really at fault here, but it definitely is unfortunate.

He moved to be closer to his dad so his dad could watch him play. His dad can't travel to Auburn bc of the distance and his conditions. If they knew he wouldn't be able to play/his dad wouldn't be able to see him play, then he wouldn't have transferred. This is why it's BS they are holding him on the new stuff rather than the old rule.

The timing of when the rule was installed does not affect the severity of the hardship. If moving closer to home is optional the hardship application should not have even been filed.

That's simply a backward way of looking at it. The severity of the hardship is irrelevant. He was granted the waiver. Also irrelevant is what you or I think the rule should have been at the time.

The kid got screwed. The NCAA reneged. There isn't really any grey area here.

(Also, we're completely ignoring the strong possibility that he was encouraged to find more playing time elsewhere by the same coaches whom some seem to be suggesting he screwed over by transferring.)

There should been a grace period after the rule was issued before it became active. If a player submitted a waiver request before the rule was enacted, then his/her request should be processed under the old rules. The question of whether the new rule is appropriate or not isn't even a factor in that regard.

Since I was wrong about the full ride. I can live with him not playing. I am sure one of the reasons he transferred was so his dad could watch him play. That would be ideal but still being closer to home and a full ride while not ideal is ok.

How about feeling sorry for a kid whose dad is dying and may not live long enough to see him play football again? It sounds like exactly that was high on Khari's list of priorities. Playing for Tulsa this year and being close to his dad was his first choice. Playing for Auburn this year was his second choice. Playing next year for Tulsa sounds like it was a pretty distant third choice. It's great that he'll be able to get his education when the family otherwise would likely not be able to afford it, but there's no way to sugarcoat the fact that the NCAA screwed him over in this case.

How about feeling sorry for a kid whose dad is dying and may not live long enough to see him play football again? It sounds like exactly that was high on Khari's list of priorities. Playing for Tulsa this year and being close to his dad was his first choice. Playing for Auburn this year was his second choice. Playing next year for Tulsa sounds like it was a pretty distant third choice. It's great that he'll be able to get his education when the family otherwise would likely not be able to afford it, but there's no way to sugarcoat the fact that the NCAA screwed him over in this case.

Echoed my thoughts perfectly.

Archived