Auburn in "Top 50 College Towns To Live In Forever"

MDM4AU

33. Auburn, Alabama

college-towns-forever-auburn-alabama.jpg

Auburn is truly a college town with the largest university in the state, Auburn University. The city thrives on student interaction, with art museums, theater venues, and film festivals all housed on the Auburn campus. Downtown there used to be some beautiful live oak trees on a corner known nationally as Toomer’s Corner. Auburn fans would gather after games to roll the trees in toilet paper. Auburn is also host to national companies like the Walmart Distribution Center and the East Alabama Medical Center. Auburn University’s football team has been in the national championships twice in recent years, with one national title. The school also ranks among the top 100 schools in the country. The best programs at Auburn are in engineering, pharmacy, and counseling.

http://www.collegeranker.com/ranking/best-college-towns/

Top one or two easily. I talked to people over the years from Iowa, California, Kentucky, and wherever that love our 'little village'. What's not to love?

Lawrence,KS. is #2? Nothing against the place, never been- just would have never guessed that in a million tries.

West Virginia, N Dakota and Montana beat Auburn? Those are the three most miserable places I have ever been in my life!!! Also Monroe, LA making the list proves they didn't actually do any real research for this. At least we made the list (of course so did Troy which is extremely boring)

Top one or two easily. I talked to people over the years from Iowa, California, Kentucky, and wherever that love our 'little village'. What's not to love?

Wife and I are looking to move to AU from Winter Park, Fl. in 2 or 3 years.

Leave it to golf to provide a helpful response to your question.

:big:

West Virginia, N Dakota and Montana beat Auburn? Those are the three most miserable places I have ever been in my life!!! Also Monroe, LA making the list proves they didn't actually do any real research for this. At least we made the list (of course so did Troy which is extremely boring)

I feel you but come on. There's tons of out door adventure and activities in West Virginia and Montana. Beautiful settings and rivers, snow caps right out the back door. Big sky skiing is right there next to Bozeman and Yellowstone. Not to mention great breweries. Got to travel more man.

Should be more upset about East Lansing and Provo.

I feel you but come on. There's tons of out door adventure and activities in West Virginia and Montana. Beautiful settings and rivers, snow caps right out the back door. Big sky skiing is right there next to Bozeman and Yellowstone. Not to mention great breweries. Got to travel more man.

Been there, done that. As far as the "College Town" goes, they don't hold a candle to AU!

Morgantown?? Yuck!

Been there, done that. As far as the "College Town" goes, they don't hold a candle to AU!

Morgantown?? Yuck!

Morgantown has a great night life, is in a beautiful setting, and is located in a really neat part of the country. I get that one.

I can't believe they didn't have Tuscaloosa listed. I mean they have great football teams. What else? Oh yeah, great football teams. Did I mention great football teams, oh, I almost forgot, a Krystal.

I can't believe they didn't have Tuscaloosa listed. I mean they have great football teams. What else? Oh yeah, great football teams. Did I mention great football teams, oh, I almost forgot, a Krystal.

Lot's of "Old Milwaukee's Best" as well.

Fayetteville? We came in behind Fayetteville? Been there once and got Baaaaaaaddd hebe jebes from the local flavor.

Tuscalooser is great if you love crack.

And the smell of burning tires.

And the smell of burning tires.

And dating your sister

Who the heck is "collegeranker" anyway? There is no real information on the site to lend any credibility to anything they post.

What criteria did they use to select their top 50? Not a clue. It's just a list somebody made up out of thin air, as far as we know. But hey, it's on the Interwebs, so it must be true, right?

Some of these places are not college towns by any stretch. The notion of "college town" is a town that is primarily dominated by the university. That is certainly not the case for their #1, St Augustine, Williamsburg VA, or Long Beach CA. If those places qualify, why not Charleston SC or Portland OR?

As for the actual college towns on the list, I've been to quite a few. I would put them in a different order.

That said, it's nice to see Auburn on the list -- as it deserves to be.

Sounds like one of those "Best" surveys by looking at a bunch of number and statistics matched against their ideal model....it always makes me laugh to read these best places lists...when the hot weather in the south is considered a negative and snow up to your knees and freezing weather for 5 months is "great sporting season" up north.

But getting too high on those lists can ruin a town. I've lived in two different "best retirement" places that got in the top 2 or 3 nationally and before we knew it, the town was over-run with Yankees who immediately wanted to change it to do things like they "did back home"...and drove up prices. Forget the ego trip,....better to be a best kept secret ....IMO

Got to travel more? I spent 4 years traveling this country for work. I lived just a few hours from Bozeman for over a year and stayed in Bozeman for a week. My parents lived in WV for several years. I'll say it again...they are two of the most miserable places I have ever been. Wind chills of -40 don't allow outdoor fun in Montana but for a few months a year and WV is by far the most backwoods hillbilly stuck in 1850 bunch I have witnessed any where in the country. The scenery in WV is nice, but the weather there is also horrendous. I stand by my statement. A skiable mountain nearby doesn't make up for the rest. Both miserable places.

Got to travel more? I spent 4 years traveling this country for work. I lived just a few hours from Bozeman for over a year and stayed in Bozeman for a week. My parents lived in WV for several years. I'll say it again...they are two of the most miserable places I have ever been. Wind chills of -40 don't allow outdoor fun in Montana but for a few months a year and WV is by far the most backwoods hillbilly stuck in 1850 bunch I have witnessed any where in the country. The scenery in WV is nice, but the weather there is also horrendous. I stand by my statement. A skiable mountain nearby doesn't make up for the rest. Both miserable places.

Yep... there are indeed some really beautiful places to live in this country and something for everyone. I'm in the NC mountain foothills...beautiful views and 4 season weather.....but I sometimes yearn for the coast where I grew up.

As I looked at the list, I did not see more than 3 or 4 that would attract me.....and yet there a dozens not listed that are more appealing to me.... good thing we don't all want to live in the same place....would get kind of crowded.

To each his own. It gets a pass but don't forget Alabama isn't that much better.

Give me the great scenery, cold beer during the summer. Fire and hot toddy during the winter and I'm good.

Archived