2015 Season

WarEagle1982

I try to be cautiously optimistic, but I feel like the 2015 season has the chance to be a very special one. I really feel like the offense has a chance to be very good even with new pieces being plugged in. If Muschamp improves the defense like I think he will this team will be very difficult to beat.

I try to be cautiously optimistic, but I feel like the 2015 season has the chance to be a very special one. I really feel like the offense has a chance to be very good even with new pieces being plugged in. If Muschamp improves the defense like I think he will this team will be very difficult to beat.

i had the same feeling in '14.

I'll say the same thing this year I said last year, it's all about the defense, the offense will be there. Just like last year, if the defense can be improved by just 25%, this team has a chance to be special. I do think we have a better chance to do that with CWM as the DC, so there is optimism.

I just feel confident that the offense can be REALLY good. With a more accurate passer with an NFL arm (Johnson or White fits that mold), a solid receiving core that has a 1st round draft pick within it, a solid stable of running backs, more of a true fullback at the H back position, and a solid O line, with who I believe has the best O line coach out there, the possibility exists of a record breaking type year on the offensive side of the ball. If the defense gels under Muschamp the sky is the limit!

Only 3 games are automatic W, maybe 4 @UK.

I definitely wouldn't count @UK as an automatic win. They played well last year and have a really scrappy QB.

I think the running game is more of a question mark than it was last year. We have a list of promising names, none of which has done as much as CAP had done prior to last season.

We have a very promising QB that hasn't had to lead the team yet.

On defense, we're depending on a coach doing big things with players that have never done big things in college. The D-line lost five seniors to graduation and the position will have to be overhauled.

The recruiting class was great, assuming they all qualify and show up, but how many true freshmen are ready to provide immediate help?

My pre-season pick last year was 9-3. While it's too early to pick right now, I see no reason the think there will be a whole lot of difference between this years' record and last years'.

^^ I agree with this, to be honest. While I think there is massive potential with this team. I don't think we have enough returning/experienced contributors to make the playoff. We will drop a game or 2 because either the O is having a bad day because of having to replace all the parts from last year, the D having a bad day because...they've been having bad days since Tuberville left, or special teams is going to make a key mistake (like vs Texas A&M this past year) which will be the difference in a close game.

Our first game could totally be a loss and potentially knock us out of the playoff picture before October. This was not the year to play a good team in week 1 IMO. I'll admit, I'm a pessimist but..

at QB we have no idea how JJ will be as a full-time starter. We think we know that he'll be good but it's still a question mark.

at RB we don't know how any of our guys will be as full time ball carriers. We just don't. HS and juco highlights don't mean much. We've had our share of juco busts.

at WR we only have one proven guy, and our 2nd best WR has not shown he has consistent hands and he carries the ball almost as much as he catches it

At OL -- we should be improved here, but Shon Coleman will need to improve at LT for us to be SEC Championship caliber

on D

We lost a ton of interior lineman and have a bunch of young guys taking their places. This is not a good sign. Think about how young we were up front the first few years after 2010. It was not pretty.

at LB -- we should be improved due to coaching. but the players playing LB have been extremely inconsistent throughout their eligibility, although they did make some strides last year. But now we are going to add a 3rd, inexperienced LB to our scheme.

secondary -- We have flat out sucked in the secondary the past few years and the guys who are going to be playing now weren't good enough to unseat the players that were in front of them even with terrible results. Tray Mathews will be an upgrade, but almost everywhere else? Huge question marks

I am surely a pessimist, but inexperience at key positions is usually not a sign of good things to come. There are a lot of "ifs" that need to fall in the right direction for AU to win the West.

There is really no telling at this point though, Prior to the 2014 season, I thought for sure AU would be in the top 4 at the end of the year based on all the returning talent coming back. We had a Heisman contender QB, 1200 yards worth of RB coming back, the entire WR unit coming back, most of the OL back, the entire interior DL back, LBs and secondary returning for the most part. This year we have much less proven talent penciled into starting positions.

I agree with some others, it is all about the Defense this year.

Not worried about the Offense that much, although replacing Dismukes will be huge. Depending upon how Dampeer or Golson adjust to that role. This could be a weak point, yet to be seen. Getting Kozan back will help the O-Line overall.

I think Pettway will be solid at H-Back. He has the weight and muscle and should be an extra weapon with RB skills and good hands.

Definitely not worried about JJ. He has already shown what he is capable of. Our running backs are solid. I look for Robinson to win the starting job, but we are extremely deep at RB.

Receivers are solid, lead by Duke, then Lewis and Davis. We have Smith and Truitt as the second option guys and I would not be surprised if Johnathan Wallace is not a surprise in this position.

Defensively, getting Lawson back is huge. The line is going to be better. Safety play should be solid. Jones at one CB is a good thing, not sure how the other CBs will work out. Believing they will be better. Lots of experience back here with Holsey and Garrett. I would not be surprised to see Bryon Cowart getting into the Defensive rotation on the other side of Lawson by mid-season.

We should be fine at LB. Both Frost and McKenzie are seasoned vets. Add Flowers and Williams in the rotation and unlike other years, this should be a strength. We have four that are capable in this position this year.

This could be our year. Only a few question marks.

Bama's defense could pose huge issues for teams this year. They have offensive question marks, but their defense may be their best ever!

Arkansas is definitely improved. They will be tough this year.

LSU will be good as always, but questions at the QB position.

Miss. State well we have already seen that they are talented.

TAMU is a big question mark in my mind.

Georgia always plays us well. Not sure why they always seem better when they play us. Chubb is a stud RB.

The good news is with all but the LSU game, we get the major SEC competition in Auburn. That bodes well for us.

Believing 2015 is going to be special. But no run through the SEC is easy or a given.

We have the players, the scheme, and the coaching, but will the chemistry be there? Will the heart be there? Will Auburn have that "Je ne sais quoi" Time will tell.

We have the players, the scheme, and the coaching, but will the chemistry be there? Will the heart be there? Will Auburn have that "Je ne sais quoi" Time will tell.

Jenna said what about Auburn? :-\

For those assuming the O will be great again more power to you. We lost an awful lot of starters on O. Basically the whole backfield 1/2 of the receiving Corp and big chunk of the offensive line. A lot of players behind them with a lot of potential but first they have to reach that potential and second they have to gel as a unit. Can it be done with Gus as the coach we have a good chance but it is awfully hard to feel sure about it.

I actually feel better about the D this year as a lot of key players are back and I believe they now have the coaches that will teach them and put them in the position to make the plays but still a new system so who knows for sure.

Now add in the fact that we play in the SEC West where you can be a solid team and still lose it is just to early to put on my Orange and Blue Glasses.

Maybe after A-Day game or second week of Fall practice I may join the ones predicting great things for Auburn next year but at this time the best I can say is let's wait and see.

Simply, if we have another 8-5 season in 2015, then Gus has under performed. We under performed last season. Of course, we likely over performed by several games in 2013, so 2014 can be considered a wash. 2015 will be a good indicator of Gus as a HC. It is year 3. In year 3 with Chizik, we all found out that we truly hired the Iowa State coach that would have never made it past another season at Iowa State. I expect and hope that Gus will do better. I do believe our coaching staff is better going into year 3 of Gus' term at HC versus Chizik's.

wde

I've been saying since before last year that 2014 would be a disappointment and that 2015 would be better. Well, I got the first part of that prediction right. Malzahn must prove he's not a Brady Hoke clone.

We have the talent to be a 10 or 11 game winner. Having CWM will provide the spark on D to get us by until reinforcements come over the hill. Of course as always it all depends on whether this team comes together and develops the IT factor "chemistry". I hope Gus continues his rise to the upper echelon of the college coaching ranks. However If for reason the team fails to coalesce and things snowball to 5 or 6 losses then many will begin to think about promoting from within. Man I hope it doesn't come to that but unfortunately we have been down that road before. See baby Bowden. Call me stupid if you like but I'm kinda glad we have a fall back on staff if the worst were to happen. Having said all that I think Gus continues to make "O Flatbed J" look like a Highway Scholar by getting us to final game on the schedule with a shot to make it back to The ATL.

We have the talent to be a 10 or 11 game winner. Having CWM will provide the spark on D to get us by until reinforcements come over the hill. Of course as always it all depends on whether this team comes together and develops the IT factor "chemistry". I hope Gus continues his rise to the upper echelon of the college coaching ranks. However If for reason the team fails to coalesce and things snowball to 5 or 6 losses then many will begin to think about promoting from within. Man I hope it doesn't come to that but unfortunately we have been down that road before. See baby Bowden. Call me stupid if you like but I'm kinda glad we have a fall back on staff if the worst were to happen. Having said all that I think Gus continues to make "O Flatbed J" look like a Highway Scholar by getting us to final game on the schedule with a shot to make it back to The ATL.

A fall back on staff? D. Craig? I hope you're not referring to Muschamp. He couldn't even win at Florida, the school that should be the easiest place to win in the SEC. We're hoping Muschamp can be as good a DC under Malzahn as he was under Tuberville but that has yet to be proven. To think he's head coach material is to deny recent history.

Pessimistic much?? There's so much fail in that post its hard to know where to start. Fall back on staff? huh? Have you even watched football the last 4 years?

These threads are always interesting to me. The conversation is focused on if and how we can fill the voids left by the players who have moved on and overcome the deficiencies of the previous year's team, but a significant factor in how successful we'll be is the level of competition that we'll face. (Of course, this is natural; we all follow Auburn much more closely than we do any other teams.)

How are the teams we'll face in 2015 shaping up? We've got a tough one right out of the gate in Louisville. Bobby Petrino is a proven offensive mastermind. Will our newly-installed defense be ready for that challenge? Can our offense outscore Louisville if the defense is still finding its footing?

The SEC West should be interesting. Like us, Alabama will be starting a new QB. Will their defense be back to 2009 form? Will the Mississippi schools revert back to old form or continue to be competitive? I, like many, expect Arkansas to be formidable. Taxas A&M intrigues me with the addition of John Chavis as DC. Will Kyle Allen or Kenny Hill be the starter at QB. I expect the Aggies to be much better than last year.

Georgia has brought in a new OC and will be starting a new QB. Will they take a step backward or forward? Will UK continue to improve under Mark Stoops? Their recruiting has been the best it has ever been, and I expect them to be tough out this year.

I realize these teams have question marks just like we do, but how they fare will have some impact on how we fare.

The opener scares me if not for the mere fact that their O will most certainly be rolling (i'm not sure how many players they are replacing, though) while it is possible that our O is going to take a while to get on the same page with all the new guys, and the D...well, we could be in trouble if the D looks anything like it has the past 5 years -- especially if the O is in the process of finding itself.

Remember, it takes Gus about 3-4 games to know how to fully call the offense with a new QB.

For those assuming the O will be great again more power to you. We lost an awful lot of starters on O. Basically the whole backfield 1/2 of the receiving Corp and big chunk of the offensive line. A lot of players behind them with a lot of potential but first they have to reach that potential and second they have to gel as a unit. Can it be done with Gus as the coach we have a good chance but it is awfully hard to feel sure about it.

I actually feel better about the D this year as a lot of key players are back and I believe they now have the coaches that will teach them and put them in the position to make the plays but still a new system so who knows for sure.

Now add in the fact that we play in the SEC West where you can be a solid team and still lose it is just to early to put on my Orange and Blue Glasses.

Maybe after A-Day game or second week of Fall practice I may join the ones predicting great things for Auburn next year but at this time the best I can say is let's wait and see.

A Day lied to me last year. I walked out of the stadium feeling very good about the chances for a SEC repeat after watching the first half.

Archived