"Hard times drive Cowart to succeed" by P. Marshall

IronMan70

I hope as many Auburn people as possible are able to read the article posted today by Phillip Marshall. He writes about what appears to be a very impressive young man, incoming Freshman DE Byron Cowart, and his Mom LaCroria Wilson who worked hard to raise a good person. It looks like AU got a good one here along with a very good parent. Indications are that he will turn out to be an elite football player, a good student and a very good Auburn man.

Hard times drive Cowart to succeed

by Phillip Marshall, 3/27/15

SEFFNER, Fla. – Byron Cowart was angry and hurt. He was angry that his father wasn’t there, angry that his mother had to work so hard, angry that they had no home to call their own. But even in the worst of times, he didn't give in to despair.

6_3514060.jpg

Byron Cowart, left, with his mother, LaCroria Wilson and mentor Woodrow Grady (Photo: Phillip Marshall, 247Sports)

Driven by the challenges in his life, Cowart became a high school All-American and the nation's top defensive end prospect. Last February, he signed with Auburn. On a warm March day, LaCroria Wilson, Cowart and Woodrow Grady, a highly successful seven-on-seven coach and mentor to young men talented and not so talented, talked about Cowart's journey.

It was, in many ways, an unlikely journey...........

http://auburn.247spo...ucceed-36431058

These childhoods are way too familiar. His mother sounds like a warrior. Hard working lady that doesn't seem to feel sorry for herself. I want him to succeed for her as much as for my own reasons as a football fan. War Eagle LaCloria.

These childhoods are way too familiar. His mother sounds like a warrior. Hard working lady that doesn't seem to feel sorry for herself. I want him to succeed for her as much as for my own reasons as a football fan. War Eagle LaCloria.

Me too. People like that really deserve to be rewarded. It sounds like she did a wonderful job raising a good kid and I am sure it wasn't easy for her.

Sounds like we got a really good one. Thanks to her.

Thanks Iron Man for posting the link.

“My goal is to be a freshman All-American and to be an academic All-American,” Cowart said. “A lot of people don’t throw that in there. It’s not just football. It’s academics, too. At one point, it was all football. I was like ‘I can do academics, too.’”

WDE Byron.

God Bless BC and his Mom. I hope his career at Auburn is successful both on the field and in the classroom. They have certainly earned this opportunity for BC and it looks like he will take advantage of all of it in the right way.

I certainly can identify with Byron. My father was never present and was just 10 minutes away from me. After I was 16 I didn't have any desire to have a relationship with my father either. I was satisfied either way b/c me as the child shouldn't have been longing and doing things to get my father's attention to be there more. I was the child!

My mother worked hard as a dental assistant for over 35 years with just a GED education. She never spoke ill of my father and often would encourage me to call or buy him father's day gifts but as I got older I knew who was really supporting me and it wasn't him. Kids learn and are aware of certain situations at an early age.

As a black man I appreciate Byron not using his situation as an excuse to not at least try to succeed in life. It's not easy but it's certainly possible with hard work. There are several guys on the team that have gone through similar situations and have maximized the opportunity presented to them. Not enough young people my age to that in general; at least try. I love seeing the graduation pictures from all of our student athletes ...many of them graduating in less than 4 years.

I certainly can identify with Byron. My father was never present and was just 10 minutes away from me. After I was 16 I didn't have any desire to have a relationship with my father either. I was satisfied either way b/c me as the child shouldn't have been longing and doing things to get my father's attention to be there more. I was the child!

My mother worked hard as a dental assistant for over 35 years with just a GED education. She never spoke ill of my father and often would encourage me to call or buy him father's day gifts but as I got older I knew who was really supporting me and it wasn't him. Kids learn and are aware of certain situations at an early age.

As a black man I appreciate Byron not using his situation as an excuse to not at least try to succeed in life. It's not easy but it's certainly possible with hard work. There are several guys on the team that have gone through similar situations and have maximized the opportunity presented to them. Not enough young people my age to that in general; at least try. I love seeing the graduation pictures from all of our student athletes ...many of them graduating in less than 4 years.

I also love to see stories like yours when the man vows to and becomes the father he didn't have. I know some good ones.

If nothing else, you learned from your father the kind of dad you don't want to be. Not sure if you have kids or not, but if and when you do, I'm sure you'll do better by them than he did by you.

I also love to see stories like yours when the man vows to and becomes the father he didn't have. I know some good ones.

Yep..we have some great kids on the team and Auburn University in general with overcoming all different types of situations. Make me proud for sure!

If nothing else, you learned from your father the kind of dad you don't want to be. Not sure if you have kids or not, but if and when you do, I'm sure you'll do better by them than he did by you.

You're so right Triangletiger. I'm 35 and married for 3.5 years. I have one son who will be 2 in July. I have several good examples of men (my uncles) who are great husbands and fathers.

Very nice story on Byron. Can't wait to see him on the field!

Archived