Can our girls win it all?

Firstly, let me say I love this team. I follow them just as much as i do football and basketball. This is by far our best team ever.

In football, and especially from Bama fans, you or at least I Always hear defense wins championships. We know up until recently, this has been somewhat true. Then I think, when watching the college world series over the years, the teams that win always have a dominate pitcher who shuts everyone down.

So, I want some opinions please, can our hitting overcome the best of the best in pitching?

I agree. This team is fun to watch and by far the best team Auburn has fielded. Coach Myers has done a great job. Pitching is the thing that concerns me. We have three more than adequate pitchers but not the dominate type you mentioned. We have seen a couple of very good pitchers and had mixed results. I am curious to see how we do against the best pitchers the rest of the way.

I have been around the fastpitch game for 28 years as coach and dad of a very good, Alabama high school state record holding and college pitcher. In my experience a dominating pitcher on her game can usually keep good hitting teams in check. We have some series coming up that will tell us a lot more about where this team is. I'll be watching and pulling for the ladies.

War Softball Eagle!!

I agree. This team is fun to watch and by far the best team Auburn has fielded. Coach Myers has done a great job. Pitching is the thing that concerns me. We have three more than adequate pitchers but not the dominate type you mentioned. We have seen a couple of very good pitchers and had mixed results. I am curious to see how we do against the best pitchers the rest of the way.

I have been around the fastpitch game for 28 years as coach and dad of a very good, Alabama high school state record holding and college pitcher. In my experience a dominating pitcher on her game can usually keep good hitting teams in check. We have some series coming up that will tell us a lot more about where this team is. I'll be watching and pulling for the ladies.

War Softball Eagle!!

Agree...pitching is worrisome...but against good pitching our ladies seem to find ways to scratch out runs one way or another and their good defense makes up for some pitching concerns. Mostly they have to avoid walks which is what causes most problems in softball...too many free bases...which was what hurt last night. They are fun to watch and IMO this is a team where coaching has made a world of difference.

Seems to me that softball is still developing in the sense that the old style of offense was mostly just slap hitting, beat out stuff to the infield, high bouncers, and low scoring games..."small ball"...whereas the Meyers family is teaching what appears to be baseball style, a couple of slap hitters but mostly the ladies swing hard and level and can really drive the ball....lots of hits past infielders before they can react.

Coach Myers wants the girls to be able to play power ball and small ball if needed. The lineup is full of lefties who can slap or knock it out of the park. He had the same thing at Arizona State. It served them well and seems to be working at Auburn, also. He can definitely coach hitting. There is a certain baseball look to the swings that you don't normally see in softball. Also, the strength and conditioning program has improved in the last two years. I like what I am seeing. With the national publicity this program is getting through the SECN, ESPN3 and the record setting offensive numbers, Coach Myers should be able to pick and choose from the very best high school players in the country. The future looks great, this year and down the road.

Yes.

Absolutely

Pitching is the concern, but the pitching by committee has worked so far. To me, the best part about the hitting isn't the power, but their ability to drag the best pitchers into deep water. We have one of the most patient, well coached lineups I have seen this year. They quickly run the pitch count up, and against top pitchers, that is one of the best things hitters can do. Rarely do you see anyone in the lineup sat down on only a couple of pitches.

The next few weeks will be very interesting, indeed.

You just have to love these girls and this coach. They believe in themselves. Softball is fun to watch this year because you can never count AU out of a game. Once the bats get going it's like magic.

War Damn Softball!

Pitching is definitely the question mark, but our 3 starters all give a different look. The only time our pitch by committee plan hasn't worked was game 1 this week against Florida State.

At this point, I think the mentality is OKC or bust. Anything less than a top 8 finish and World Series appearance would be a disappointment. But at the same time, just getting to OKC would also be a remarkable achievement for year 2 of the Myers era. The best is yet to come.

Archived