Providence F Tyler Harris

RunInRed

Providence forward Tyler Harris will graduate at the end of the semester and transfer elsewhere, the school announced on Tuesday.

Sources tell AuburnUndercover Harris is strongly considering Auburn and the interest is mutual. Harris, who transferred to Providence from NC State in 2012, will be eligible immediately at his next destination.

Harris, a 6-foot-9 forward from Long Island, averaged 9.9 points and 4.0 rebounds this past season. Harris is the younger brother of Tobias Harris, who played for Bruce Pearl at Tennessee in 2010-11 ...

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Tigers-targeting-Providence-transfer-36548265

image.jpg

Tobias Harris is going to be a very good player in the NBA, and it looks like BP has a relationship with Tyler. 6'9 would be great for us and I LOVE that he's not listed as a Center, but a forward.

If we are going to bring in a 5th year transfer forward, I hope it means reed is progressing, the new height/length will be ok in lieu of a traditional center sized guy or we still are bringing in a center transfer.

(there ain't any sec ready high school centers, correct?)

Also makes me wonder if they will leave bowers at center if they feel he can't play at the forward position in the sec? Particularly if some of the new guys can provide rebounding and defensive help from the 3 & 4 position?

Transfers in and out are why it's folly to try to guess what next year's starting lineup will look like.

I don't have a suggestion as to the methods to use, but this transfer business is changing college basketball for the worst. Now, we have a coach that's smarter than most so we'll probably benefit but I do not like the musical chairs game that basketball has become.

Transfers in and out are why it's folly to try to guess what next year's starting lineup will look like.

I don't have a suggestion as to the methods to use, but this transfer business is changing college basketball for the worst. Now, we have a coach that's smarter than most so we'll probably benefit but I do not like the musical chairs game that basketball has become.

Agree....we complain about lack of team play under Barbee and then we saw a lot of that under BP too....JMO but turning over the starting line-up and filling the ranks with guys looking for an opportunity for immediate playing time and perhaps one more chance to impress someone in the NBA....not good for the game...as I say, JMO.

I hope the transfer circus at AU settles down after this season. This seemingly top notch recruiting class hopefully will produce AND STAY allowing CBP to start filling in. Keep the kids around for a few years and give the fan base players to root for for a few years.

The problem is if we want to be REALLY good, it means we have to have next level talent. And next level talent doesn't stick around too long. Of course getting one year transfers who want to make one last impression isn't the same thing, but the cupboard was pretty bare when BP arrived so these short term fixes is what we have to do for right now.

Agree....we complain about lack of team play under Barbee and then we saw a lot of that under BP too....JMO but turning over the starting line-up and filling the ranks with guys looking for an opportunity for immediate playing time and perhaps one more chance to impress someone in the NBA....not good for the game...as I say, JMO.

Until we get some consistent talent coming in every year and are able to keep that talent on campus for multiple years this is a way to bring in good talent and allow for players like Reed (one example) to get another year in the system and continue to develop. As he develops his playing time will increase. This is the state the program is in at this point. Every one of the 1 year players Pearl brought in this past season contributed A LOT to the improvement we had this year. The recruiting class coming in will be great but if we can get a player or two with college experience it only helps the other players. Auburn will get to the point in talent where this won't be necessary. For now, its just where we are as a program.

Until we get some consistent talent coming in every year and are able to keep that talent on campus for multiple years this is a way to bring in good talent and allow for players like Reed (one example) to get another year in the system and continue to develop. As he develops his playing time will increase. This is the state the program is in at this point. Every one of the 1 year players Pearl brought in this past season contributed A LOT to the improvement we had this year. The recruiting class coming in will be great but if we can get a player or two with college experience it only helps the other players. Auburn will get to the point in talent where this won't be necessary. For now, its just where we are as a program.

agree...this is where basketball is at the moment. Heard earlier during a HS all star game that about 700 college basketball players will transfer schools this year....a few years ago it was 500 and that seemed almost impossible. The lack of stability is really hurting the quality of college basketball..JMO.

Meanwhile, we bring in a couple senior recruits and you can bet that a couple younger players will depart because they are not getting a chance to play very much. Plus, it's hard for the younger guys to develop while riding the pines. It's a vicious circle IMO.

agree...this is where basketball is at the moment. Heard earlier during a HS all star game that about 700 college basketball players will transfer schools this year....a few years ago it was 500 and that seemed almost impossible. The lack of stability is really hurting the quality of college basketball..JMO.

Meanwhile, we bring in a couple senior recruits and you can bet that a couple younger players will depart because they are not getting a chance to play very much. Plus, it's hard for the younger guys to develop while riding the pines. It's a vicious circle IMO.

Yep its a catch 22. The pressure is so much to win and win immediately that its hard to take time and get a player the experience he needs to be a better player and play at a level required in the SEC..

• 1 month later...

This is a huge get. Harris is a really good player. He will really help the team.

That's usually just when there isn't a talent gap. If the guy ahead is clearly a better player and I'm talking about in practice and pick up games as well there is rarely a problem. But of the guy coming in isn't really better and he starts well then your team will be in trouble because chemistry will now just disappear.

Archived