2015 Spring Practice - Day 7

RunInRed

Coach Muschamp spoke with the media post practice ...

Muschamp: Josh Holsey standing out among CBs

Will Muschamp says he hadn't seen Jim McElwain's remarks about UF's roster being "really insufficient."

@JamesCrepea

Gimel President is going to start repping at Buck along with Lawson, Kennion and Thornton

Muschamp confirms what Kris Frost told us the other day: Muschamp coaching inside LBs while Lance Thompson handling OLBs

Muschamp: "There's no question" freshmen will have a real opportunity to contribute in the secondary this season.

Muschamp on the Outback Bowl: I was helping out a little bit (during the game). "Obviously it didn't work."

Some minor injuries: Gimel President has dealt with a groin injury, while Tray Matthews has dealt with a hammy

Muschamp is extremely disappointed for TJ Davis, who tore his ACL before the break.

@AUBlog

Will Muschamp on Montravius Adams: "We've just got to get him playing hard every snap."

@wareagleextra

New Auburn D-coordinator Will Muschamp says he's "very pleased" with attitude of players. "We're further along than most places we've been."

Will Muschamp's new 3-4 defense? He says he'll play with 11. "If I put seven out there, they'd fire me quicker than they did at Florida."

@AUGoldMine

• "Joshua Holsey is having an outstanding spring. He's done a good job on the top end."
  • On Holsey: "His approach has been outstanding. He was playing safety in bowl practices, but he's shown outstanding coverage ability in the package."
  • Stephen Roberts and Rudy Ford have both also impressed Muschamp, who says Ford is one of the fastest defensive backs he's been around.
  • Derrick Moncrief "has done a nice job progressing" at the nickel/SAM spot. Muschamp says he still has to learn some of the coverage concepts.
  • Muschamp's "very pleased" with both Devaroe Lawrence and Maurice Swain.
  • Muschamp says that "an odd look" is certainly something Auburn's done in the past. "We're just trying to figure out what our kids can do."
  • We don't ask them to play a lot in coverage, but we do ask them to play a little bit in space.

http://www.al.com/au...schamp_pre.html

Duke Williams:

CBn69sSW4AEvUWt.jpg

via @FootballAU

CBn4yU-VIAAfs-Y.jpg

via @FootballAU

CBn4yVcVEAAPlWS.jpg

via @FootballAU

CBn4yV2UIAAQHk-.jpg

via @FootballAU

Swain showed out in the Spring game last year.

wrong Swain or you're thinking of somebody else. Maurice just arrived from JUCO.

Man do I love that we got CWM back in the fold. I got excited just watching his press conference. I really loved how he stepped up on a UF question. He is a special guy and I am glad I rooted for him at UF (against my better instinct). We will do special things with him at DC and when he moves on as a HC, he will remember what AU has done for him.

Adams comment is interesting. Wonder if that means that he has a tendency to take plays off. He is the most talented DL we have. He causes havoc when he is full bore. Hope Boom can motivate him to bring it every play.

Oh and by the way, they need to pay our strength coach the world. VAST IMPROVEMENT in the appearance of these guys. You can tell they are busting A in the weightroom.

ICYMI - In the quotes it was mentioned that Tray Matthews had a pulled hamstring. CWM mentions later in the video it is Tre Williams with the pulled Hamstring.

Adams comment is interesting. Wonder if that means that he has a tendency to take plays off. He is the most talented DL we have. He causes havoc when he is full bore. Hope Boom can motivate him to bring it every play.

Oh, I think that's exactly what he means.

"We're further along than most places we've been."

Not sure how to feel about this

I am not even sure what he means by that....

Agreed. It's like some higher form of coachspeak.

Lol it means there is more to work with and better understanding of defensive concepts than places Muschamp has been in the past. "We" in coach speak means "I" so as to not seem egotistical.

I thought it would have been some sort of violation if he did anything during the Outback Bowl game?

I take it that of all the places he coached in his first spring practices, this group of players has grasp more of their roles and his defensive concepts, they are more fit, and more motivated. Or at least some combination of those things. And since he has coached previously with T-Rob, the "we".

Swain showed out in the Spring game last year.

wrong Swain or you're thinking of somebody else. Maurice just arrived from JUCO.

Yep Anthony Swain is who I was thinking of.

I took it to mean that the team is further along in grasping the install of Boom' defense than other places he has installed it from scatch.

I thought it would have been some sort of violation if he did anything during the Outback Bowl game?

Why?

Because, if I'm not mistaken, there is a limit to the number of "on field" coaches (I know some are in the box for a variety of reasons), but after promoting Travis Williams to LB coach for that game that would've made CWM an extra coach putting AU over the limit. I also had read that he was not allowed to use headsets to communicate with other coaches because of the numbers rule, but there are photos of him definitely in a booth talking on a headset. But we don't know to whom. Also, Gus seems to be a guy who likes to push the envelope (signal deciphering, etc) so it wouldn't surprise me.

Why?

Because, if I'm not mistaken, there is a limit to the number of "on field" coaches (I know some are in the box for a variety of reasons), but after promoting Travis Williams to LB coach for that game that would've made CWM an extra coach putting AU over the limit. I also had read that he was not allowed to use headsets to communicate with other coaches because of the numbers rule, but there are photos of him definitely in a booth talking on a headset. But we don't know to whom. Also, Gus seems to be a guy who likes to push the envelope (signal deciphering, not saying anything to the media, etc) so it wouldn't surprise me.

im sure they did it within the rules. Not sure how though.

CWM just seems more comfortable speaking as a DC instead of a HC. I know that sounds weird and I can't put my finger on it, but he just seems more in his element in that press conference compared to every one I saw at UF.

Archived