2015 Spring Practice - Day 8 (Scrimmage)

RunInRed

Gus Malzahn is in the house following the Tigers' first scrimmage of the spring. Team ran about 90 plays.
Daniel Carlson hit a 57-yard FG in the scrimmage today. Gus says the defense probably got the best of the offense today.
Malzahn: Rotated a lot of guys on offense. Probably a 50/50 split run-pass
Gus on defense today: "We're going in the right direction. There were impact hits -- the type that get everybody excited"
Malzahn is "very excited" that the defense performed the way it did today against the offense. Said it's very encouraging.
Carl Lawson and Alex Kozan were held out of the scrimmage today.
Malzahn: Jason Smith played a whole lot at WR today. Just a matter of him getting more and more comfortable at the position.
Tray Matthews said he has gotten every first-team rep at S in every practice. Said Opelika's Stephen Roberts getting a lot of CB reps w/ 1s

@AUBlog

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CBxhnU6W8AEshYW.jpg

via @QPRiggins

Boom in action ...

CBw8F9qWgAAVJOQ.jpg

image.jpg

T-Rob ...

image.jpg

Malzahn watches Jeremy Johnson ...

image.jpg

Freshman QB Tyler Queen ...

image.jpg

WR Tony Stevens ...

image.jpg

Stephen Roberts defends a pass to Duke Williams ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

CBxAPQyW8AEYKWn.jpg

How long has it been since we have heard the Defense won?

Muschamp gonna bring AU defense back!

WDE!

Muschamp could be a Godsend should he stay on the staff for more than 2 years. We have sucked out loud on D since Tuberville was fire/quit/resigned/whatever happened. I give big credit to Gus for understanding that you can't win with O alone.

wde

Heard Tre Williams delivered one of the huge "impact hits" on a Running back trying to run through the hole.

Blew it up was what one of the players said.

Heard Tre Williams delivered one of the huge "impact hits" on a Running back trying to run through the hole.

Blew it up was what one of the players said.

I'm not surprised^^

Look out for both #57 and #30 next year, both will be making an impact on the field in the Fall.

How long has it been since we have heard the Defense won?

Muschamp gonna bring AU defense back!

WDE!

More ...

"The defense got the best of the offense today," Malzahn said. "There were probably more hits today than any of the scrimmages that we've had since we've been back."

The biggest came from Tre' Williams, who laid a hit on an unnamed running back so hard that safety Tray Matthews said the sophomore linebacker "flat-lined" the ball-carrier.

"He came in with real bad intentions," cornerback Joshua Holsey said. "I heard it echo."

Williams wasn't the only defender who made an impression. Derrick Moncrief, the big former safety who's shifted to the SAM, or strong-side linebacker, position under Muschamp, crushed a couple of receivers over the middle, and the Tigers forced two fumbles by the offense.

"They were coming down, hitting hard," Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson said. "It was fun watching them."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/04/auburns_defense_impresses_gus.html#incart_river

Jovon Robinson ...

Auburn's running backs had a handful of good runs and wheel routes seemed to confuse the defense, which allowed a long pass to freshman H-Back Chandler Cox, Sean White said. Newcomer Jovon Robinson "had a nice long touchdown run," White said.

Robinson appears to be the favorite to replace Cameron Artis-Payne as the Tigers' starter.

"He's a real physical runner but he's a big guy," White said. "He's also really quick and fast. He's really good at setting guys up, and maybe he won't make them completley miss, but he'll force them to arm tackle and he'll break it easily because of his size and his strength. And he's got the breakaway speed to take it the whole distance."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/04/auburn_offense_sloppy_in_scrim.html?hootPostID=ae2021009c422857b1b0e02d53dbff21

Post-scrimmage interview for @CoachGusMalzahn with @MariaTaylor7 and Matt Stinchcomb from @SECNetwork

CBw3UaDUkAAnoeD.jpg

CBw1JY8WgAEKpMy.jpg

@AuburnSID / @FootballAU

1st spring scrimmage in the books for the Tigers Carl Lawson & Jeremy Johnson spent a little time w/us after practice

CBxEVRpVIAA86of.jpg

@MariaTaylor7

image.jpg

Amazing how getting the right person in charge totally changes an entire D. Everything from attitude to playmaking had gotten an immediate jolt.

Amazing how getting the right person in charge totally changes an entire D. Everything from attitude to playmaking had gotten an immediate jolt.

Thank you little 6 pound 8 ounce baby Jesus for a competent DC!! Hopefully we will see a real D on the field in a year or two.

wde

Did anyone else see the article on al.com about Muschamp punching a whiteboard during the Outback Bowl? Can someone please show a video of that?

Al.com was saying he did it during the Outback Bowl too.

Sooooo...Gus bleached his hair?

Beat me to it... I was scrolling down reading all the comments before I chimed in with a hair comment... Does it look fuller too???

Sooooo...Gus bleached his hair?

Beat me to it... I was scrolling down reading all the comments before I chimed in with a hair comment... Does it look fuller too???

Nah, just an illusion due to the roots being darker I believe....wonder what bet he lost?

BER, I'm guessing you're strange number sequence....

79...year you were born

82...year your spouse was born

97...year you graduated high school

Did I get it? Just strange to have a 6 number sequence and I just had to take a guess!

I would love to see us having the number 1 defense in the country along with the number 1 offense! You never know folks; it could happen in 2015!

I would love to see us having the number 1 defense in the country along with the number 1 offense! You never know folks; it could happen in 2015!

Not even close with this O. It can only happen with turnovers. This D takes on a lot because of this O. I just want the D to be 1/2 as good as the O and we win 10 games. But really I expect both O & D to be top five in the conference and that is all we need to go to ATL.

Thank you little 6 pound 8 ounce baby Jesus for a competent DC!! Hopefully we will see a real D on the field in a year or two.

wde

Amen and pass the peas please! All the DC's we've hired since the Tubbs era just seemed to be too nice/mild mannered for my liking. Especially when you consider how bad the D kept getting year after year. We desperately needed a DC who would come in a light a fire under the azz of the D.

I'm waiting to see just how much improved we actually will be on D before getting too excited. If we can just tackle and not look like the Bad News Bears on D this year...i'll be happy with that alone.

Archived