Five Teams on the rise for Next Year

AuburnNTexas

img25143652.jpg

Bruce Pearl will have a lot more talent to work with at Auburn next season. (USATSI)

Auburn: Bruce Pearl made national headlines last Fall when he landed a slew of elite prospects within a matter of days and next season those prospects will take the floor for the Tigers. Auburn brings in two Top 100 freshmen in Danjel Purifoy and Horace Spencer along with arguably the best JUCO shooting guard in the country in T.J. Dunans. That triumvirate will pair with Marshall transfer Kareem Canty to give Pearl an explosive quartet of newcomers to blend with returnees such as Cinmeon Bowers, Trayvon Reed and Tahj Shamsid-Deen. With Pearl pulling the strings on the sidelines, the Tigers should return to some sort of postseason tournament in 2016.

http://www.cbssports...sketball-season

CBS thinks Auburn has a chance to get to Post Season next year.

What would be a disappointment for this season? Would it be safe to say if we made any post season tournament it would be a success?

The NCAA takes 65 teams. I wouldn't feel like next season is a success if we can't get into the NCAA tournament. Making the top 65 shouldn't be all that tough to accomplish.

What would be a disappointment for this season? Would it be safe to say if we made any post season tournament it would be a success?

The NCAA takes 65 teams. I wouldn't feel like next season is a success if we can't get into the NCAA tournament. Making the top 65 shouldn't be all that tough to accomplish.

I'll be sure to ask Anthony Grant next time I'm down Florida way.

If one looks at the odds, being one of the top 65- 68 should be pretty easy.....but with so many automatic bids, a team like AU has to be in the top 35 or so to get in the tournament.... which narrows the odds quite a bit. ..which makes the NCAA bid tougher to achieve than the numbers appear.

And...as we predict the results of AU's upcoming season...consider that we are likely to have a group of starters (as forecast) where only one starter (or perhaps none) will have actually played in an SEC game....or even reported to campus as we discuss the season now.

We have some good prospects...better than in a long time...but there are some pretty good new coaches in the SEC.....and likely some improved teams down in the part of the standings where we have been lately.

Getting an NCAA bid next season will be a huge accomplishment IMO.

Failing to make the top 65 is why Grant got fired. Apparently the PTB in Tuscaloosa think getting in the tournament should be expected. A school with the resources and facilities that Auburn has should be shocked to NOT make it in. Yes, there are too many automatic bids but still...

Failing to make the top 65 is why Grant got fired. Apparently the PTB in Tuscaloosa think getting in the tournament should be expected. A school with the resources and facilities that Auburn has should be shocked to NOT make it in. Yes, there are too many automatic bids but still...

Not questioning the objective......just looking at the odds. Lots of basketball powers out there with great basketball facilities, coaches and reputations to contend with...schools that are not into football that much. It's a big pool of schools from the "basketball crazy" parts of the country.... Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, Gonzaga, Wichita State, St Johns....and on the list goes.

AND...JMO..... but bama might have let AG skate another year on the basis of getting to the NIT and having a couple good recruits/commits.....but Bruce was stealing the limelight from bama and the PTB felt the need to shake things up at UAT.

I agree with this completely. As a team in a major conference, we should expect our team to make the NCAA tourney every year. We don't, because we have been traditionally not a good program. A lot of that has been due to apathy of the AU family. (It is a vicious circle...We are bad because no one cares. No one cares because we are so bad.) I think the biggest impact of hiring Bruce Pearl, (and the major reason I wanted him so badly), is that he is a fanbase/program changer. Look at the excitement that he stirred up with such a bad team as we had. Can you imagine what AU is going to be like when he is routinely putting us in the NCAAs?

I firmly believe that BP will end up being the single most important coach our BB program has ever had, and one of the most significant hires in the history of AU athletics.

I agree with this completely. As a team in a major conference, we should expect our team to make the NCAA tourney every year. We don't, because we have been traditionally not a good program. A lot of that has been due to apathy of the AU family. (It is a vicious circle...We are bad because no one cares. No one cares because we are so bad.) I think the biggest impact of hiring Bruce Pearl, (and the major reason I wanted him so badly), is that he is a fanbase/program changer. Look at the excitement that he stirred up with such a bad team as we had. Can you imagine what AU is going to be like when he is routinely putting us in the NCAAs?

I firmly believe that BP will end up being the single most important coach our BB program has ever had, and one of the most significant hires in the history of AU athletics.

Everyone "expects" their team to make the NCAA every year...that's obvious ...which is the reason that we have had an entire conference playing musical chairs with coaching staffs seeking a winning formula....so many changes in fact that Billy Donovan probably has more years coaching in the SEC than about all other coaches combined.

AU, bama and most of the SEC has been through a succession of coaches during the past dozen years in expectation that each new coach will be able to consistently take their team to the NCAA. Generally speaking ...none of the hiring decisions have been able to meet that expectation.

Hope you are right about BP...but he has a much taller hill to climb ..IMO,...than most people realize.

Hope you are right about BP...but he has a much taller hill to climb ..IMO,...than most people realize.

I totally agree with you on this point. I think some of the new hires in the SEC will have much better seasons than BP had in his first. Few people realize what he was left.

I totally agree with you on this point. I think some of the new hires in the SEC will have much better seasons than BP had in his first. Few people realize what he was left.

I agree. But because I do, I am optimistic about the future. Talent wise, I believe, and hope, that BP had the worst team that he will coach this past year. If we have two players off of last year's team, we make the NIT in BPs first year. Next year, we should have more talent at all positions. They will be new to the league at the beginning of the season, they won't be by tournament time. I expect to see a good team on the floor by the middle of the SEC regular season.

I was looking at the recruiting thread () and I am really impressed. CBP has got the talent coming to Auburn. I don't typically keep up with BB recruiting, but has AU ever had this many 4* players sign with us in the same year?

I'd like to see the fellas make the NIT. Step by Step! BP has to instill a winner's mentality in the program and it's hard to do that overnight after the past ~20 years

I'd like to see the fellas make the NIT. Step by Step! BP has to instill a winner's mentality in the program and it's hard to do that overnight after the past ~20 years

Indeed.

Anybody know why there is such a discrepancy between Scout/247 AU bball recruiting ranking vs the ESPN one? I think ESPN has us in the mid-low 20s.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Not one of these players had anything to do with the last 20 years. Every one of these players has played on talented teams and has excelled individually on those teams. They are coming together now to represent something they've never represented before. It's not like they've been here and have struggled to win games for 10 years. They know some of the history of Auburn basketball, I'm sure, but eery one of these players individually already have the winner's mentality. They will bring that with them to the program. It's harder for the FANS to buy into it given the last 20 years but not the players.

Although I'd love to see Auburn make it to the NCAA tourny, that will be a hard task. 32 teams get automatic bids. The SEC rarely gets more than 5, because the conference is weak. LSU will have probably the strongest recruiting class other than Bama this season, and I never count out Florida. So that means Auburn has to be good enough to capture one of the two remaining SEC spots. Possible? Sure. Likely? I dunno. It would be great, if it happens.

I'd love to see Auburn make the NCAA, but I will be pleased if Auburn gets to (and does well in) the NIT.

Although I'd love to see Auburn make it to the NCAA tourny, that will be a hard task. 32 teams get automatic bids. The SEC rarely gets more than 5, because the conference is weak. LSU will have probably the strongest recruiting class other than Bama this season, and I never count out Florida. So that means Auburn has to be good enough to capture one of the two remaining SEC spots. Possible? Sure. Likely? I dunno. It would be great, if it happens.

I'd love to see Auburn make the NCAA, but I will be pleased if Auburn gets to (and does well in) the NIT.

Maybe I missed it but I have not heard bama doing that well in recruiting. Currently not in the top 40 in ESPN ranking. Now LSU is hitting a home run

Maybe I missed it but I have not heard bama doing that well in recruiting. Currently not in the top 40 in ESPN ranking. Now LSU is hitting a home run

Bama did not have a great recruiting class this year. Personally, I think Bama will continue their long stretch of mediocrity in the SEC.

As far as expectations for this year, when is the last time we had a winning season? Six years ago? That would be a good start. Being in the NIT discussion would be a solid step forward next year. That would be enough to keep the recruiting momentum going. Making the NCAA tourney would make Bruce SEC coach of the year IMO. That would require at least a 7-8 game turnaround in one year which does not happen often.

Archived