Log Cabin Republicans Disinvited from Western Conservative Summit

Auctoritas

This is why I refuse to be a part of these idiots.

This does nothing productive. It is only a negative and it is nauseating for for those of us outside of the Republican Base to accept.

Really? They told them they could attend just not have an official booth as they promote ssm. Maybe they should have a pro abortion group as well or maybe a pro euthanasia group and let them have booths to promote their views. I'm certain there are people that are conservative in most areas that believe in those two issues. I wouldn't be upset with the democrats not letting a pro gun group have a booth at their event. You have certain views that you adhere to and promote as a party.

Really? They told them they could attend just not have an official booth as they promote ssm. Maybe they should have a pro abortion group as well or maybe a pro euthanasia group and let them have booths to promote their views. I'm certain there are people that are conservative in most areas that believe in those two issues. I wouldn't be upset with the democrats not letting a pro gun group have a booth at their event. You have certain views that you adhere to and promote as a party.

The optics just look bad and it gives your opponents something to beat you with.

The optics just look bad and it gives your opponents something to beat you with.

Screw them and the optics. That's what the republicans have been doing and what has it got them? They are going to beat you over the head anyway. They'll make it up if they have to and the media will run with it. You adhere to your values and make your case to the people and let them decide.

Screw them and the optics. That's what the republicans have been doing and what has it got them? They are going to beat you over the head anyway. They'll make it up if they have to and the media will run with it. You adhere to your values and make your case to the people and let them decide.

I think you have me confused with someone that actually cares. The Reps want to commit suicide, let them.

Let me ask - is there ever a time where the disagreement on a key issue is so fundamental that optics or no optics, it makes sense not to give a platform to the opposing view at your forum? Just asking in general.

Let me ask - is there ever a time where the disagreement on a key issue is so fundamental that optics or no optics, it makes sense not to give a platform to the opposing view at your forum? Just asking in general.

"Principle is okay up to a certain point, but principle doesn't do any good if you lose." Dick Cheney

"Principle is okay up to a certain point, but principle doesn't do any good if you lose." Dick Cheney

That's true. And if this was a conservative forum for tax policy or foreign policy, I'd say it's a bad move to not allow them to have a booth at the thing...though you might not allow some group whose foreign policy or tax policy views were diametrically opposed to yours. But if you're a group that centers around a certain stance on social issues, it may be reasonable not to allow a group whose views are the opposite of yours a platform at your event. I don't know beans about this group in particular so this may be a totally dumb move. But I don't think you give people whose views are opposite yours time and visibility on your turf. Are we going to question every political group from each party about the groups they don't allow to have a presence? Are the Dems going to be held accountable for not giving time and space to Democrat groups that support the traditional marriage and family structure? Will the Democratic women's conferences be expected to give equal time and space to Feminists For Life or Democrats For Life?

That's true. And if this was a conservative forum for tax policy or foreign policy, I'd say it's a bad move to not allow them to have a booth at the thing...though you might not allow some group whose foreign policy or tax policy views were diametrically opposed to yours. But if you're a group that centers around a certain stance on social issues, it may be reasonable not to allow a group whose views are the opposite of yours a platform at your event. I don't know beans about this group in particular so this may be a totally dumb move. But I don't think you give people whose views are opposite yours time and visibility on your turf. Are we going to question every political group from each party about the groups they don't allow to have a presence? Are the Dems going to be held accountable for not giving time and space to Democrat groups that support the traditional marriage and family structure? Will the Democratic women's conferences be expected to give equal time and space to Feminists For Life or Democrats For Life?

My post was meant as sarcasm. I will vote for someone who is "principled" and, respects democracy, even if I do not totally agree with their principles. I will not knowingly vote for someone who will do, or say, whatever it takes just to get elected because, their principles are phony. Their goals, their interests are strictly personal. They are ultimately self-serving.

Right now, there are only two people likely running for President that I would even consider voting for. In many cases, their ideologies and their principles are opposing. However, I believe both respect democracy and, both truly believe in what they say. I believe both understand the fundamental differences between running for office and politics. I believe both understand that compromising on principle is something you do in a democracy in order to effectively govern. It is not what you do in an election just so YOU can win.

In principle, I agree with you. We have to respect each others principles. However, that does not mean we are obliged to put them on "our" stage.

I think you have me confused with someone that actually cares. The Reps want to commit suicide, let them.

Well I do care because the alternative is the uber left democrats like Hillary and Obama and the whole rest of the gang. Third parties are not going to accomplish anything and neither are protest votes for Aubie. A lot of people did what you did or sat home in 2012 and look what it got us. Elections have consequences and I have large disagreements with the establishment wing of the party. I also know there are good conservatives in there and we just have to add to their numbers. Lets make republican synonymous with conservatism and not Democrat lite.

I think we saw it in 2004 and 2008 primaries with the war in Iraq.

In this case, I think my argument is that on actual conservative principles, the LCRs are absolutely and quintessentially republican, and that their endorsement of same sex marriage shouldn't be a key issue. Granted, this is primary season, so we're trying to rile up the bases.

• 2 weeks later...

This event is sponsored by Centennial Institute which is part of Colorado Christian University. It would make sense to not let this group have a booth at this particular event.

This event is sponsored by Centennial Institute which is part of Colorado Christian University. It would make sense to not let this group have a booth at this particular event.

I disagree.

Well I do care because the alternative is the uber left democrats like Hillary and Obama and the whole rest of the gang. Third parties are not going to accomplish anything and neither are protest votes for Aubie. A lot of people did what you did or sat home in 2012 and look what it got us. Elections have consequences and I have large disagreements with the establishment wing of the party. I also know there are good conservatives in there and we just have to add to their numbers. Lets make republican synonymous with conservatism and not Democrat lite.

Totally agree CT.

I am amazed that there are serious people who honestly believe that alternative being Hillary is what is best for the country right now. She's just what the country needs. Right? SHe's just a typical unbelievably arrogant entitled ehtically bankrupt serial lying scumbag who beleives i the ends ALWAYS justify the means.

I disagree.

Why would you give a booth at an event you're sponsoring to a group to allow them to promote something that goes against your basic fundamental beliefs. Maybe they should give a booth to pro abortion Republicans too.

In the context of a political event, they should be ready to "allow others into the Tent." This is not a worship event nor a religious event.

It is 100% politics. If you take your religion into the world of politics, by definition, you are telling everyone you are ready to work with people that do not agree 100% with yourself.

Totally agree CT.

I am amazed that there are serious people who honestly believe that alternative being Hillary is what is best for the country right now. She's just what the country needs. Right? SHe's just a typical unbelievably arrogant entitled ehtically bankrupt serial lying scumbag who beleives i the ends ALWAYS justify the means.

Well said.......

I disagree.

Why would you give a booth at an event you're sponsoring to a group to allow them to promote something that goes against your basic fundamental beliefs. Maybe they should give a booth to pro abortion Republicans too.

1) Why shouldn't they? "Big Tent", etc. Maybe that's just the Democrat in me talking, though - historically, we've been more apt to accept those with different views and build coalitions based on other common beliefs.

2) I made this post originally to highlight, very specifically, the fact that conservatives were undoing any gains they had made politically with the younger generations. This is a classic example of trying to maximize short-term gains at the expense of long-term success.

There is going to come a time, and it's going to come pretty soon, where the inclusion of social conservatives as an equal party in the GOP will come to an end. The GOP can easily run on tax policy and limited government and appeal to the Millenials - but you start yammering about "traditional marriage" and the large majority is going to look at you like you've got 3 eyes.

And let me make it clear - it's not that the disagree on principles, it's that they don't understand why you are hung up on it. It is a part of their world they grew up and came of age in. As I said in another thread, I think the same way about interracial marriage because when and where I grew up not only was it not a big deal, it wasn't ANY deal.

Archived