AU-FSU off table

RunInRed

Not happening ...

Florida State officials still are working on one high-profile football showdown with a Southeastern Conference power, but it appears another has been taken off the table.

FSU, which has a confirmed deal in place to face Ole Miss in Orlando to start the 2016 season, has also been in talks with Alabama and Auburn about neutral-site games in future years. Two sources within the athletics department have confirmed to Warchant.com that an FSU-Alabama game in Atlanta is still in the works for 2017 and likely will become official in the not-too-distant future. But a proposed FSU-Auburn battle in Jacksonville, which was discussed for 2018 or 2019, has been scrapped.

Both sources told Warchant that FSU and Jacksonville officials would still like to bring a Seminole football game to the city, but it will not be Auburn in either of those years. And there are no discussions between FSU and Auburn for games beyond that, the sources said.

https://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1757940

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not thrilled with idea of playing them and why Jacksonville? Jacksonville is 360 miles from Auburn and only 160 from Tallahassee.

How about just a home and away game? Or does that make too much sense.

let me guess...there needs to be more money involved.

Not thrilled with idea of playing them and why Jacksonville? Jacksonville is 360 miles from Auburn and only 160 from Tallahassee.

That was exactly my complaint as well. Playing them in New Orleans would've been a lot more fair than Jacksonville or Atlanta. Plus--like you--I was never too jazzed about playing them anyway.

Thanks goodness. I live in Tallahassee and still have to listen to knuckle dragging Noles blather about how they "killed" us in the national title game, how Auburn cheats, how marrying their siblings is not such a bad thing...oh wait. Suffice it to say playing them is a no win situation in my world. Although our series lead over them is 14-5-1.

I hope they took it off the table and we didn't.

I'm good with the game not being played. As for the "why"....sometimes with strong-willed people there is no middle ground for an agreement.

In fact, neither team really needs this game.....so no reason for either AD to give much ground on their disagreements. Fine with me.

Why?

As has been mentioned it's hardly a neutral sight. About as neutral as playing bammer in Legion Field. And EverBank Field only holds 76,000. What do we possibly have to gain by playing that game in Jacksonville?

They need SEC teams to give their schedule some credibility SEC teams don't need them.

True...but they usually play Florida and now looks like Bama too....sure don't need AU....and we don't need to play them in Jax....best deal was no deal IMO.

Why?

As has been mentioned it's hardly a neutral sight. About as neutral as playing bammer in Legion Field. And EverBank Field only holds 76,000. What do we possibly have to gain by playing that game in Jacksonville?

I was hoping the same thing. Granted playing in Jax is not neutral so that's a good reason to back out. But I'm still hearing "War Chicken" from stupid people over the last time it was proposed we play them and we backed out. I just don't want this to stir that up again...

What matter does it make where we play FSU? their a big time team which we need on our future schedule. I'd love to know what JJ told them. "Thanks but no thanks."

Someone said that the Gator bowl only holds 76,000. Well guess what, the capacity of the Georgia Dome is only 71,228 and yet, we don't seem to have any problem playing Clemson in the Georgia Dome every few years.

I don't like the FSU program, have never have liked their program going all the way back to the 60s and don't see any reason to play them in the regular season. The only time I would be more than happy to play them is in the playoffs

I don't like the FSU program, have never have liked their program going all the way back to the 60s and don't see any reason to play them in the regular season. The only time I would be more than happy to play them is in the playoffs

I hate them almost as much as i hate uat. I agree with you. I have no desire at all to play that bunch of thugs any time. I hope they are winless every year but if not winless, lose enough to keep them out of contention for anything. Nothing good every came out of tallahassee, except Interstate 10.

What matter does it make where we play FSU? their a big time team which we need on our future schedule. I'd love to know what JJ told them. "Thanks but no thanks."

It matters because it would be stupid to play them in Jacksonville where it would be a home game for them. It would be equally stupid for them to play us in Atlanta where its a home game for us. But its off the table now, thank God, so we don't have to worry about it anymore.

NEWSFLASH: Auburn plays in the SEC WEST. The toughest division in the toughest conference in the country. We don't NEED anybody on our schedule to prove anything. FSU needs us WAY more than we need them. They are the ones with an overall soft schedule by playing in the ACC.

More assuming from you. How do you know Jacobs told them No. Answer, you don't know. You are ASSUMING it because of your blind, unfounded hatred for Jacobs and nothing else.

Just think, we could have had Jimbo Fisher as our head coach. That being said, I believe we ended up with the BEST head coach and he BEST coaching staff in all of college football.

Archived